Driving at night - Dipped beam - Horrific!

It's the level that the lights are generally set at from the factory that's the problem, not the bulbs themselves.

There's a small plastic grub screw on the top of each headlight your turn to adjust the height of the beam.

If you look on the packaging of performance bulbs, they usually claim added beam length. I think this is due to the bulbs being shorter in physical length i think.

Maybe thats why people claim it improves it? Not because of the brightness of the output?

Fitted Osram Nightbreaker Plus Gold in dipped curve projector and have also fitted Nightbreaker Unlimited in Main Beam! I can see now and compared to OE Chalk vs Cheese!

Should have had a Xenon Option like Mk 1!

There was never a headlamp issue on the Mk I that really warranted Xenon's. The solution adopted by a friend of mine was to ditch the "better" DE headlamps on her Fabia 3 and go back to the reflector headlamps from a 2007 Fabia 1. Problem solved completely. You could argue they look less good, but at least she can see. The difference in illumination was genuinely remarkable. On both dip and main beam.

The headlights aren't that bad on the Monte to warrant swapping the units themselves for reflector ones.

Once they've been adjusted for height properly and different bulbs fitted, which aren't necessary if the height is correct, then they're fine.

Yes, the reflector type do light up more of the road immediately in front of you but projector lights concentrate the light further up the road.

I dont know what youd do regarding wiring, but changing to the projector dip and reflector high of the se and elegance wouldnt be a bad move if youve got the time/skill to do it.

Surely theyre better than the h4 reflectors that the s has

Swapping headlights on a Mk2 is a major operation, as the front bumper has to be removed

It certainly isn't a 10 minute job

As I recall it was £150 for the headlamps and 3 hours labour which included modifying the wiring harness for H4 bulbs rather than H7. The work was done by an OEM Retrofit firm in Bolton I think, but I would say any decent workshop should be able to do it, certainly any auto electrician.

The original headlamps were so awful that she drove around on main beam and no-one flashed her. Simpsons Skoda told her the car was adjusted to the limits of legality, hence the swap to reflectors which completely solved the problem.

Surely theyre better than the h4 reflectors that the s has

No, the reflector headlamps are like xenons compared to the projector units in the "better" models.

It's just a strait swap with no wiring mods required to change the light units, but takes about 2 hours to complete as the front bumper has to come off

I find h4's to be rubbish though. They either have a hotspot close by, or right down the road on full.

Where as the projectors light up the road closely all the time, then the reflector full beam gets right down the road.

Got h4's in my bike and in dads vw transporter, i dont rate them much. Personal preference maybe.

Then get a hid kit in the dipped, and decent bulbs in the high, and youll never look back :). (Just forward ;))

The Monte has the DE module so its the mechanical shutter on the projector which acts as both dipped and main :-(

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I know this. But the se and elegance have a h7 dipped projector and h7 reflector high beam. This surely has to be the better headlight of the range.

Thats if you could change the loom up to the headlights

Edited by Otaylor38
  • Like 1

vRS is the same unfortunately. Never noticed it driving locally as I knew the roads but my new commute I noticed how bad they were. I've put Nightbreakers in but not that much better. I'll be getting an Octavia vRS soon hopefully so the problem will go away. Unless Octy's are bad

I know this. But the se and elegance have a h7 dipped projector and h7 reflector high beam. This surely has to be the better headlight of the range.

Thats if you could change the loom up to the headlights

Sorry. Yes, totally agree, I would love to be able to do this. Don't have the skill or cos to do it just now

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

It's just a strait swap with no wiring mods required to change the light units, but takes about 2 hours to complete as the front bumper has to come off

I've just checked with my friend and she reckons the plugs for the bulbs are different so you do have to modify the wiring. Certainly to go from Fabia 3 spec. To Fabia 1 spec.

I think the H4 has a 3-pin connector (it's both high and dip beam in one bulb) and the H7 has only two pins.