Changing fuels unleaded to super

I have always known the ECU to take a couple of tanks to adjust itself, I don't believe it is instant.

On the contrary, I think its more or less instant. The ECU will (within limits) advance the ignition until it detects knocking from the knock sensor which is well before you or I would hear it. Using the advance angle it can deduce the RON of the petrol and will switch or modify the maps. As I said earlier, I dont think the 105ps Tsi has mapping for anything better than 95 RON, only the high power engines have that. But there are mapping strategies for lower RON (91).

Edited by xman

Not always right up to date, but gives the idea on fuels around the world..

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

There are lots of filing stations on Mainland Europe selling lovely quality petrols, and not at silly prices, 

a nice choice in 100-102 ron.

Here you need to pay a bit more to get the good and consistently good stuff each and every time.

http://www.vitalequipment.co.uk/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=165

The reason people say you need two tankfuls at least is due to the fact you cannot instantly go from 95 to 98/99ron fuel in one go unless you drain the tank and refill with the fuel of your choice. So there is always a dilution downwards of the higher octane fuel, even if it's only a little bit. Therefore the engine cannot adapt fully until the second or even the third tank of the new higher rated fuel is put in. Just depends how much was left in the tank when you first changed octane ratings. The engine sensors will adapt straight away to any change in the fuel the engine feeds on, we all know that. But obviously, you won't be running on pure 98/99 rated fuel straight away unless you drain down and that's not needed. It's just a technical point and it will affect any outcome even by just a little if you only put one tankful in.

Was just responding to the person who stated that two tank fulls gives the ECU a chance to learn and adapt, there was no reference to mixing even though I went on to explain that in reality that may effect results. Based on comments on this thread I think it is not obvious that everyone on here understands how modern engines and ECU adjust ignition timing based on octane.

Andy

Ok, I understand now it adjusts instantly subject to lower octane fuel being left in the tank.  I thought it took longer.  I understand modern engines but perhaps not the ECU and ignition timing, I do now.

This is an interesting post and explantions by an expert.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/251217-fifth-gear-posh-petrols-vs-supermarket/

• 5 weeks later...

I believe it is an online market place of sorts where users post items for sale in an auction style format and other users can bid on said item over a fixed time frame

• Like 1

How much did you bid on the fuel saver?

Apparently all sold out.

Seller PM'd me something about gullible Australians and making a killing :)

So sadly couldn't get my hands on one.  Shame cause it sounds like the next big things after Hydrogen Fuel Cells

currently doing a test on running tesco super unleaded in the fabia. for some sad reason i collect fuel consumprion data on our cars (actually useful for teaching statistics) will see when swmbo manages to get a recipt for the fuel and we can see if there is any change in the data

Just filled up today with Shell V Power Nitro only to get the Lego Ferrari models they're giving away for the littl'n and the fuel consumption has gone from 40-42 mpg on the run to work to 48-50 mpg. I drove in exactly the same way I do everyday and the same route I always take.

Don't know if this is coincidence or if it is the Formula 1 petrol I've put in as my son calls it.

Haven't had a proper drive yet but going out in the sticks tomorrow to a Christmas fair so I'll be putting in some more spirited driving just to see if the performance is better.

First time I've used the posh stuff, have tried normal Superplus Unleaded which I felt didn't make any difference.

I used to work building engines for formula fords. We were approached by a chap developing "fuel saving magnets", and so we ran his magnets on our dyno. First one set, then two sets, then five sets. Funnily enough the fuel consumption did not change from no magnets to five sets.... and why would it?

The people i knew that sold Magnets, for Vehicles or even for wearing on a Wrist for Health and Well Being,

Fuel Saving Pills, & other Pyramid Selling items never bothered about fuel consumption,

if they were in early in the Pyramid, then they never worried ever again about Fuel Consumption or buying any car they wanted,

Their only worry was how to spend their money quick enough and finding the next mugs to sign up to become a salesperson to sign up other salespeople.

It is not the Selling of the Product or even what the Product actually is, its signing up of Agents that sign up Agents..

george

• Like 1