Changing fuels unleaded to super

Hi, I want to try out a higher fuel Ron in my monte tsi 105hp and I was just wondering what I should do? Can I just simply mix the fuels over or should I run the tank down and then fill up with the new fuel and mix as little fuel as possible? Or does it not matter?

And what higher Ron fuel do you recommend?

Thanks gents, Dan

Skoda recommends 97RON or above, I've tried Esso Super unleaded against my usual Morrisons unleaded and didn't see any difference in performance or fuel consumption at all.

That was letting the tank run to almost empty before filling up with Esso stuff.

Any extra extra MPG you may or may not get by using the so called super fuels would be offset by the the extra cost of buying it in the first place.

The engine only produces 105bhp so it's hardly a performance engine which might see benefits by using the super unleaded fuels.

Try it, you might see benefits but I found it was like placebo drugs, if you didn't know it was special then you wouldn't see any changes.

You will need to fill it up a few times to feel the benefits - if there is any. Don't expect to see changes straight away. I've been using tesco momentum as its on the way to work and theres quite a few where I live.

Says who?? ECU will adapt as soon as the knock sensors show different ignition and detonation from different octane. No learning required, but people sometimes want to flush through any mixing of different octane values. Either way ECU will instantly adapt and balance ignition timing to detected detonation/octane fuel.

Enjoy regardless of which fuel ;-)

• Like 2

If the tank is down to the last 4-5 litres and you fill up with 99 ron the engine will benefit within 100 miles or so if its going to benefit from the higher Octane.

When i put in 102 octane i do it on a near empty tank and the improvement is within about 10 minutes.

the car will perform the ECU does not need to come to terms with the higher octane.

Tesco Momentum being delivered from depots from the 15th October (In Scotland anyway) is Winter Specification & still Minimum 99 RON,

but some might notice the improvement with it, from this week, to next weeks fill up, if the car likes Higher Octane Fuel and you can notice the difference, or do similar journeys at similar ambient temperatures  for the next few weeks or before the clocks change..

http://www.tescopfs.com/momentum99/specifications

http://www.tescopfs.com/momentum99/testing_results

george

EDIT Typing as A Woodster posted the right info.

As I understood it, due to the compression ratios of the engines, that the VRS was 98 octane normally to be used but 95 could be used with slight loss of performance and fuel consumption and all the other petrol engine should run 95 normally and could run 91 octane (not normally available in the UK) with slight loss of pep. 

What is?  Is it a better 99 ron than another fuels 99 ron?

V Power Nitro costs 5 pence or 6 pence more per litre than Momentum 99  which was £1.34.9 a litre today,

so an extra £2.50 per tank full again maybe. 

is there some benefit in using it?

• Like 1

I alternate between Tesco momentum and V-Power Nitro. No difference seen between the two fuels as they are both 99 Ron.

The little twin blower loves it.

My sister has a Monte Tech and she runs it on just good quality BP 95 and it's sweet as a peach :-)

• Like 1

Whatever it says on the tin fuel filler..

My twincharger Scirocco said 95RON on the filler but it went better and gave a mpg improvement greater than the extra cost of the SUL (usually Momentum99 for me as well).

Says who?? ECU will adapt as soon as the knock sensors show different ignition and detonation from different octane. No learning required, but people sometimes want to flush through any mixing of different octane values. Either way ECU will instantly adapt and balance ignition timing to detected detonation/octane fuel.

Enjoy regardless of which fuel ;-)

The reason people say you need two tankfuls at least is due to the fact you cannot instantly go from 95 to 98/99ron fuel in one go unless you drain the tank and refill with the fuel of your choice. So there is always a dilution downwards of the higher octane fuel, even if it's only a little bit. Therefore the engine cannot adapt fully until the second or even the third tank of the new higher rated fuel is put in. Just depends how much was left in the tank when you first changed octane ratings. The engine sensors will adapt straight away to any change in the fuel the engine feeds on, we all know that. But obviously, you won't be running on pure 98/99 rated fuel straight away unless you drain down and that's not needed. It's just a technical point and it will affect any outcome even by just a little if you only put one tankful in.

Edited by Estate Man

The VRS engines definitely benifit from 99RON fuel but I dont think there is any advantage to be gained with the 105psTsi. There is a section in the manual that tells you about fuel and, yes, its down to the exact wording in the fuel flap.

Shell V Power Nitro + for our 1.8TSi engine.  Definitely sweeter engine, starts nicely, runs smoother.  A lot of drivers on here like the Tesco 99ron, Sainsbury's higher octane fuel etc.  Personally I have always used Shell in both the diesel and petrol cars.  Never had any issues.  I also like BP fuel.  I know people will argue about the price difference, club card/reward points and the voucher you sometimes get with a Supermarket however, the Shell station is closest to me, 1/2 a mile.  The Sainsbury's station is the same distance to be honest but always busy and you have to queue, I take the view by the time I have queued I have probably burnt some of my saving and I can just drive in and fill in the Shell station.  This bit is a slightly off subject now, sorry.

I have always known the ECU to take a couple of tanks to adjust itself, I don't believe it is instant.

The proof of the pudding on instant with petrol is if you have a car on a dyno with a little fuel in and have everything up to temperature 

and do a run, then up the Octane of fuel, maybe 95 then in 99. (not that i would do a run on some engines with 95 ron.)

So say less than a gallon of 99 ron left in the tank and get up to temp and then fill with 102 ron,

Its near enough instant when the engine starts drinking the 102 ron.

Why would it sit and think about it, take a day or 2,

or want to run 90 litres of the higher octane before any improved performance.

If the cars engine design & ECU can not benefit from higher Octane then it will not.

I have a 1.1 16valve with 69php that it makes not the slightest differance to if it gets 99 ron fuel.

george

Tesco Momentum 99 clearly says ,Minimum 99 ron',

(from today Winter Spec Momentum is distributed untill March, in Scotland anyway. Less Hygroscopic)

Shell V Power Nitro will also be 'Minimum 99 ron' if it says it is.

Sainsburys is i believe 97 ron,

so that will be 'Minimum 97'  or maybe someone knows if it is now 98 ron.

Is Esso still 97 ron or now 98 ron??