Headlight washers

Just a quick check to see if my vRS is "unique" or not.

Does anyone else's headlamp washer covers not retract properly? Every time they go off I've got to push the damn things back in the last few mm - once I've parked up obviously.

Getting annoying, if I forget I come back to find the car winking at me.

On the MkIII the headlight washer caps are sunk into the bumper so I'm guessing it doesn't take much for them to stick.

I'd be taking it back under warranty.

2013_skoda_octavia_52_1024x768.jpg

On the MkII they sat proud so less likely to get caught, however they often froze to the bumper in the winter and were more easily knocked-off...

skoda-new-octavia-headlamp-washer.jpg

Just a quick check to see if my vRS is "unique" or not.

Does anyone else's headlamp washer covers not retract properly? Every time they go off I've got to push the damn things back in the last few mm - once I've parked up obviously.

Getting annoying, if I forget I come back to find the car winking at me.

Yep, have the same issue, but only on the nearside one. The one on the off side seems to retract just fine.

I had that problem on my VW Touran when i bought it. They took it in and sanded a little bit. Voila! Problem solved :)

I'm guessing that is the simple solution, but for a brand new car I am a little disappointed.

Hmmm, another "we really should've tested these things" then.

I can just hear the service manager now. "Yes Sir, you are correct any your headlamp washers do stick after use but don't worry we can fix it in a jiffy. Now, if you can just give the keys to your £25,000 car to our yts lad he'll set about I with some wet & dry and it'll be sorted before the coffee is brewed." Hmmmm, maybe not.

Well since I'm still running around in the car that's going back with no build date (or any other info) on the replacement yet I can see the keys getting handed back and me walking away. No car and the 4k for my trade in to buy so,etching else. Great.

Is it just the vRS that's effected by this non retracting washer issue  :wonder: 

Notice the bumper shape differs from the standard cars set up, resulting in a flat recessed cover rather than an angled one :wonder: :wonder:

TP

Well I'm popping into the dealership tomorrow or Tuesday for other stuff but I've mentioned it to them and it'll get looked at while I'm there.

Judging by the handful of other folk affected its a design/fitting issue rather than a one off.

The fix will be implemented at the factory.

Maybe, maybe not. We'll have to wait and see, can't say it'd bother me that much. But if the wet n dry is a permanent invisible fix, not a problem.

The fix will be implemented at the factory.

Those already in the UK will get the 'wet and dry' treatment!

I love how one person mentions the use of sandpaper on their VW and all of a sudden the official fix for the octavia is now sandpaper, despite no one even visiting their dealer yet!

Some of us have got to know Skoda UK very well over the years.

If there are a few choices for a fix then it shouldn't come as too much of a suprise which one they'll implement...

1) A 30 second adjustment of the cap with wet & dry.

2) A squirt of WD40 on the slider mechanism.

3) Redesign of the affected components, creating of a remote (off production-line) service kit, issuing of a dealer alert to check all affected vehicles, removal, repainting and refitting of a new wash mechanism with labour charged back to Skoda UK etc. etc.

Edited by silver1011

I love how one person mentions the use of sandpaper on their VW and all of a sudden the official fix for the octavia is now sandpaper, despite no one even visiting their dealer yet!

Ours is in for the day tomorrow as they've suggested the bumper and/or washer unit may be misaligned. When you look at the washer, it does indeed appear to be a little pi$$ed. Near side looks bang on. Maybe a batch of N/S washer units are a little skewed.

I'll know more tomorrow and will update accordingly.

• Like 1