One for the hyper-milers

DavidIF

Our sport isn't due until Jan14. In the meantime I'm gathering as much info as possible!

We will mainly be on rural A & B roads and a little bit of motorway with minimal urban/town use. What I am interested to hear from people is what sort of economy can we expect in the real world and as importantly how many miles to a tank of fuel from brimmed full to empty?

ATB Dave

Never seen anything less than 50mpg unless on a very small trip.

Mid 50's on average for me, but can easily be in to the high 60's depending on route and traffic

Brilliant little cars they are :)

• Like 1

Best I ever get is around 65mpg that's going on the PID fuel display. I must add that's on a long m way trip doing mainly 70mph, if you keep below 70, say 60mph I reckon you could easily get over 70 mpg.

Also bear in mind that the display figures are not going to be accurate so allow - 10% discrepancy in real terms by filling up, use and filling up again, log your mileage. You will be suprised at the difference.

So on a long trip as above I reckon low to mid 50's. Push the right pedal hard and they drink the fuel, be a bit more gentle and you get good figures, like most cars really.

Mine is the 75 greentech 5 door.

I get  55, but if i sit at 55-60mph on a NSL road i can get 65+mpg easily.

My jouneys are probably 70% NSL A roads, the rest round the doors. I dont hang around either and on any journey more than 2 miles (99.5% of mine are) the worst ive got is 49.7mpg and that was after a erm, " very enthusiastic" drive home :devil: .

• Like 1

I'm doing the brimful to empty test atm but won't be anything spectacular as the car has only done 230 miles. Its between 3/4 and 4/4 right now after 125 miles.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

422 miles on a brim to brim tankful, i squeezed in 39 litres after going 14 miles past the 0 miles remaining display on the PID. mainly a Roads and motorway at 65 - 75 MPH. I filled up at a Motorway service station, they have the reputation for creative accounting when it comes to the correct volume of a litre. I'm going to try the same process of driving past 0 on the PID in order to truly see how far i can go on a tankful - but at a normal off motorway service station to check the difference. You either need nerves of steel or a jerrycan ready to go!! Brand new car 75PS Elegance. MPG should improve as engine beds in. 

• Administrators

Surprisngly this trip, done as a out and back in an afternoon/evening: http://bit.ly/1cUcyBl

From a full tank, return, I'm just under 3/4qtrs. The pid stated 58.6mpg although it was the first trip for me so quite a lot of fluctuation/discovery. The m-way was empty so easy to maintain a 70mph gps reading. I expect more once I settle into it, the A roads over the woodhead were tackled on a high average speed approach and it didn't let me down, except maybe on the steepest of hills and one spot requiring a lot of power to over take on... or cunning to use momentum/closing speed.

I'm also guessing it's a rapidly moving needle once past 1/2way.

75 greentech, 3k on clock.

Ive found the same as you Colin

The only negative in my Citigo experience are really steep hills

However, you learn to adapt your style and keep the momentum going and it's fine.

Mine does drop a bit quicker once it's past halfway, but what car doesn't

My Smart has 8 blobs on the fuel dial. The first blob does not go out till i have done 80 - 100 miles,but the second blob goes out 20 miles after that.

Being a diesel i never let it run too low.I usually fill up when 3 or 4 blobs are left showing,just under half a tank and it then takes 5 gallons to fill.

I get 60 MPG round town and 80 MPG on a longer run,if i keep to a steady 60 MPH.   I could get a range of well over 500 miles.Some owners have even said 600 miles is possible,but i would not take that chance.

Edited by SMART EXAMINER

On the Citigo fuel gauge, it will do around 80+ miles (on a full tank) before the gauge moves off the full marker. The way it's been calibrated or designed you get more miles from the first half tank than the second half. As been said no different to most other cars, but why?

Yup - non linear gauge syndrome.

Wifeys has had I think 5 or 6 fillups (never from empty - she gets nervous when it goes below half) and 1400 miles on the clock.  Even though she does very local runs (couple of miles at most each way) I still reckon it's doing over 40mpg.

The fuel gauge is horribly noun linear. It will be due to the shape of the tank, loads of volume at the top and none ant the bottom.

I tend to get about 400-420 miles a tank so use that as my gauge.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Was thinking about this... maybe we're assuming it's a level indicator rather than a resistance applied to needle.

So at 4/4 it's got a lot of resistance and won't move very quickly. As tank level drops, a boffin selects a different resistance. The needle resistance drops, to 1/2 so it moves quicker... so really it's a <goes of to look for star trek words> catabolic distortion flux tricoder.

• Like 1

Was thinking about this... maybe we're assuming it's a level indicator rather than a resistance applied to needle.

So at 4/4 it's got a lot of resistance and won't move very quickly. As tank level drops, a boffin selects a different resistance. The needle resistance drops, to 1/2 so it moves quicker... so really it's a <goes of to look for star trek words> catabolic distortion flux tricoder.

I'd say it's more a case of warp plasma leaking from the injectors. I'd recommend replacing some neural gel packs after that's fixed/ :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

Filled up my 75PS Greentech Elegance today, 32.00 litres for 436 miles "Driving Like Miss Daisy" = 61.9 MPG, simply superb. Easily achieved by simply observing all speed limits and keeping to 60 -65 MPH on the motorway.

• Like 1