Conviction Code Descriptions.

TheWanderer

Here's something none of use want on our licences, but I have managed to find the complete list of codes that insurers use when you ask for a quote. I hope you find it useful.

Conviction Code Descriptions:

Accident Offences

AC10 Failing to stop after an accident. 
AC20 Failing to give particulars or to report an accident within 24 hours. 
AC30 Undefined accident offences.

Disqualified Driver

BA10 Driving while disqualified by order of Court. 
BA30 Attempting to drive whilst disqualified by order of Court.

Careless Driving

CD10 Driving without due care and attention. 
CD20 Driving without reasonable consideration for other road users. 
CD30 Driving without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other road users.

CD40 Causing death by careless driving when unfit through drink.
CD50 Causing death by careless driving when unfit through drugs. 
CD60 Causing death by careless driving with alcohol level above the limit

CD70 Causing death by careless driving then failing to supply a specimen for analysis.

CD71 Causing death by careless driving then failing to supply a specimen for drug analysis.

Construction & Use Offences

CU10 Using a vehicle with defective brakes. 
CU20 Causing or likely to cause danger by reason of use of unsuitable vehicle or using a vehicle with parts or accessories (excluding brakes, steering or tyres) in a dangerous condition. 
CU30 Using a vehicle with defective tyres. 
CU40 Using a vehicle with defective steering. 
CU50 Causing or likely to cause danger by reason of load or passengers.
CU80 Using a mobile phone while driving a motor vehicle.

Reckless/Dangerous Driving

DD30 Reckless Driving. 
DD40 Dangerous Driving. 
DD60 Manslaughter or culpable homicide while driving a vehicle. 
DD70 Causing death by reckless driving. 
DD80 Causing death by dangerous driving.

Drink or Drugs

DR10 Driving or attempting to drive with alcohol level above limit. 
DR20 Driving or attempting to drive while unfit through drink. 
DR30 Driving or attempting to drive then failure to supply a specimen for analysis. 
DR40 In charge of a vehicle while alcohol level above limit. 
DR50 In charge of a vehicle while unfit through drink. 
DR60 Failure to provide a specimen for analysis in circumstances other than driving or attempting to drive. 
DR70 Failure to provide specimen for breath test. 
DR80 Driving or attempting to drive when unfit through drugs. 
DR90 In charge of a vehicle when unfit through drugs.

Insurance Offences

IN10 Using a vehicle uninsured against third party risks.

Licence Offences

LC20 Driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence. 
LC30 Driving after making a false declaration about fitness when applying for a licence. 
LC40 Driving a vehicle having failed to notify a medical condition. 
LC50 Driving after a licence has been revoked or refused on medical grounds.

Miscellaneous Offences

MS10 Leaving a vehicle in a dangerous position. 
MS20 Unlawful pillion riding. 
MS30 Play street offences. 
MS40 Driving with uncorrected defective eyesight or refusing to submit to a test. 
MS50 Motor racing on the highway. 
MS60 Offences not covered by other codes. 
MS70 Driving with uncorrected defective eyesight. 
MS80 Refusing to submit to an eyesight test. 
MS90 Failure to give information as to identity of driver etc.

Motorway Offences

MW10 Contravention of Special Road Regulations (excluding speed limits).

Pedestrian Crossings

PC10 Undefined Contravention of Pedestrian Crossing Regulations. 
PC20 Contravention of Pedestrian Crossing Regulations with moving vehicle. 
PC30 Contravention of Pedestrian Crossing Regulations with stationary vehicle.

Speed Limits

SP10 Exceeding goods vehicle speed limit. 
SP20 Exceeding speed limit for type of vehicle. (excluding goods or passenger vehicles). 
SP30 Exceeding statutory speed limit on a public road. 
SP40 Exceeding passenger vehicle speed limit. 
SP50 Exceeding speed limit on a motorway. 
SP60 Undefined speed limit offence.

Traffic Direction & Signs

TS10 Failing to comply with traffic light signals 
TS20 Failing to comply with double white lines. 
TS30 Failing to comply with a 'Stop' sign. 
TS40 Failing to comply with direction of a constable or traffic warden. 
TS50 Failing to comply with a traffic sign (excluding 'Stop' signs, traffic lights or double white lines). 
TS60 Failing to comply with a school crossing patrol sign. 
TS70 Undefined failure to comply with a traffic direction sign.

Theft or Unauthorised Taking

UT10 Taking and driving away a vehicle with consent or an attempt thereat . 
UT20 Stealing or attempting to steal a vehicle. 
UT30 Going equipped for stealing or taking a vehicle. 
UT40 Taking or attempting to take a vehicle without consent driving or attempting to drive knowing it to have been taken without consent allowing oneself to be carried in or on a vehicle knowing it to have been taken without consent. 
UT50 Aggravated taking of a vehicle.

Special Code

TT99 To signify a disqualification under 'totting-up' procedure.
XX99 To signify a disqualification under 'totting-up' procedure
Aiding, Abetting, Councelling or Proceduring - Offences as coded above, but with zero changed to 2 e.g. UT10 becomes UT12 
Causing or Permitting - Offences as coded above, but with zero changed to 4 e.g. LC20 becomes LC24 
Inciting - Offences as coded above, but with zero changed to 6 e.g. DD30 becomes DD36

• Like 1

I like the way there is a code for driving when licence has been revoked or you were refused one in the place. Where do they put the code? Is it stamped on the offenders forehead?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ii have had a few of them in my youth.

CU20, this was after driving home after an accident near Chester, the officer dealing with the incident told me to drive home, I was stopped in Runcorn by a different Police man who obviously didn't have the same thoughts. Came with 3 points and £60

IN10, took a car to the scrap yard and did not realise the insurance had expired. I was quite young when I got this and it came with 6 points and £275 fine!

SP30, SP50, a couple of times for both of these at £60 a go.

I think I must have had over 21 points in 23 years of driving, not proud but shiz happens.

Thanks for sharing the list of codes.

My points were all down to either stupid lapse in concentration or just being young and naive. Most of the time I drive quite sensibly, honest.

Under inflated tyres, didn't know that carried a punishment 

No idea, unless it just lies on file, so that when you do apply for a licence it's automatically added to it. 

Happens all the time those who have foreign driving licences

A notional record is kept by the DVLA for use if the driver continues to commit offences in the UK

Friend of mine got 12 points for defective tyres (bald x2) and (underinflated x2) following asking if all the murderers have been caught ?

I'd be interested to know how that happened if all occurred at the same time

No idea, unless it just lies on file, so that when you do apply for a licence it's automatically added to it.

Exactly that. If you don't have a licence, a record will be created for you by the DVLA so that if you apply it comes prepopulated with your points.

Isnt tyres one of those you get points for each offence, so as above each tyre?

It is possible, but not usual in my experience 

The starting point for multiple endorsable offences is that each offence is endorsed on your licence but points are only awarded to the highest points scoring offence

In Binzie's example above, the driver would become automatically liable to a totting-up disqualification for one course of wrong-doing, and would have to argue exceptional hardship in order to stave off a 6-month ban

• Like 1

Exactly that. If you don't have a licence, a record will be created for you by the DVLA so that if you apply it comes prepopulated with your points.

So, if offences have a "life" of three years from date of conviction, what happens if you eventually applied for your licence five years later?

It's a shame these offences don't apply to all road users - just think how many points, and how much revenue would raised, buy nabbing all the cyclists zipping through red lights, defective tyres, drunk, etc etc ;) ;)

So, if offences have a "life" of three years from date of conviction, what happens if you eventually applied for your licence five years later?

They don't, it's three years from date of offence for the totting-up provisions, but they remain on a pre-existing licence for four years before you can apply to have them removed

A person applying for a licence five years after receiving a notional endorsement would, therefore, receive a clean licence

"UT40 Taking or attempting to take a vehicle without consent driving or attempting to drive knowing it to have been taken without consent allowing oneself to be carried in or on a vehicle knowing it to have been taken without consent."

Offense has expired by the time the offense has been explained in english ;)

There's a few "undefined" in there too. So if we can't get you properly, we'll get you with an undefined offense......or just make it up as we go along ;)

"UT40 Taking or attempting to take a vehicle without consent driving or attempting to drive knowing it to have been taken without consent allowing oneself to be carried in or on a vehicle knowing it to have been taken without consent."

Offense has expired by the time the offense has been explained in english ;)

There's a few "undefined" in there too. So if we can't get you properly, we'll get you with an undefined offense......or just make it up as we go along ;)

Such an old cynic  :)

Taunting the copper who is giving you a talking to is rarely a good idea.

Yup, when we were at college I was getting a lift with a class mate when we got stopped. Circa 1995

Tax disc was out, was stopped for a dodgy light with a recommendation to get them sorted. Would have had a friendly warning on the tax, except he noticed defects on the coppers bike and told him so.

Cue a full drugs search in the middle of a cold wet winters day before the car was siezed and we had a nice walk.

• Like 1

Taunting the copper who is giving you a talking to is rarely a good idea.

Police Interceptor type program:

Kiddie stopped for having German style plates and Halfords tinting all over the lights - specifically the reflectors. Gave the copper some stupid remarks and got to watch his car get trailered away. The copper did say that if he had taken the advice about the plates and lights he would have kept the car.

Ooooh Yeeesss. Never back chat a Police vehicle examiner, one ne'er do well hit 13 separate offences before he decided to stfu. :x   

They don't, it's three years from date of offence for the totting-up provisions, but they remain on a pre-existing licence for four years before you can apply to have them removed

A person applying for a licence five years after receiving a notional endorsement would, therefore, receive a clean licence

Not quite.

The clock starts ticking from when the licence becomes valid.

It's usually the date the licence is processed at DVLA, for a provisional.

In any event the valid from date is printed on the back of the card part for each vehicle category.

The paper counterpart records any convictions, points etc.