MOT Failures

io1901

Depends how badly corroded?

If it looks like it's going to develop a hole or going to snap in the near future then yes.

About 99% of exhausts or rusty due to metals used and the salt content of UK roads so it must be either pretty bad or you have gone to quick fit

• Like 1

I've not gone anywhere, a work colleague just put their 54 Mazda 6 in for a MOT at a Toyota main dealer and it's failed and they have quoted £1300 :0 to fix it. Involves new exhaust system and  some suspension  bushes.I suspect that they could repair it (loose brackets) but are going for the maximum work.

Guest BigJase88

They are smoking crack

If it needs a new exhaust system expect to pay £200-£300 at an exhaust place

And bushes shouldnt be more than say £100-£200

Depends if there is a Catalytic converter in the price too?

What does the actual failure sheet say? But yes a cat back exhaust for an MX-5 should be cheap as chips but this is a main dealer remember. 

Toyota dealers are good at bigging up the repair bills, I know I suffered at their hands for a year.  

The car is a Mazda 6 Jayne so parts are more.

IO mate should go to a small independent garage for a 2nd. opinion.

If it looks like it's going to develop a hole or going to snap in the near future then yes.

What fault the car is likely to develop in the future is not part of the test.  If the exhaust doesn't have a major leak of gasses and is adequately supported (even if it has mounts missing/broken) it may get an advisory for being corroded.

Well that's a turn up. It has been booked in at another MOT station and with no extra work it has passed!

My colleague is quite pleased, but won't be using the Toyota garage again.

Well that's a turn up. It has been booked in at another MOT station and with no extra work it has passed!

My colleague is quite pleased, but won't be using the Toyota garage again.

report the dealer to VOSA !

• Like 3

I've started to use the council to do mine+girlfriends cars. Ok it costs £50 rather than £30 at some back street place, but they don't do any repairs so will not fail on something unless its in the book.

Only been doing this for 2 years and not had any problem. My car failed last year and I took it away, fixed and came back for a free retest without a problem.

The mechanic I always use also charges full price, but I've never once had anything fail on anything I didn't expect, if at all. I don't trust any of the places that offer 'cheap' MOTs.

I'd agree with this. My usual garage charges full whack but like you never get charged or work imagined. They also do things like change bulbs if their not right for free during the test.

• Like 1

If your car fails and you think there wrong just ask the tester(not the receptionist)to show you the reason for the fail in the testers manual ,if its not in the manual it can't fail !

Always go to a pure MOT test station... they have no interest in getting money out of you for repairs.

And definitely report them!

Phil

I've never used one, but I have read that Local Council test stations as they generally don't do repairs, just tests. It's what Martin Lewis of Money Saving Expert recommends..

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-mot

I've never used one, but I have read that Local Council test stations as they generally don't do repairs, just tests. It's what Martin Lewis of Money Saving Expert recommends..

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-mot

Yup.

My local council that I also work for has just started.

Only open to staff at the moment for £35 but will be opening it up to general public soon.

Phil