Skoda Superb - Winter Tyres and Rims

I'm about 1,500 miles into my Nokian D4's, so a little too early to tell yet.

However they do have a neat depth indicator in the tread, see the 8, 6 and 4 in the central tread, great idea!

IMG_20151010_121623_zpsjwsdajb7.jpg

IMG_20151010_121221_zpsomlzxjds.jpg

IMG_20151010_121634_zpssocd4zje.jpg

IMG_20151010_121528_zpsssruhxrw.jpg

IMG_20151010_121602_zpspx2dzydf.jpg

Yeah, I went for the Tonka Toy look  :D

To be fair it was more for the increased pothole protection, however since running them for a few weeks now I have decided I will be changing my summers from a 45 to a 50 profile too as the ride is so much better!

Yeah, I went for the Tonka Toy look  :D

To be fair it was more for the increased pothole protection, however since running them for a few weeks now I have decided I will be changing my summers from a 45 to a 50 profile too as the ride is so much better!

Whats the ride and noise like? They look like my preference at the moment.

The ride is so much nicer, the roads on my daily commute are quite rough and the increased absorption is greatly appreciated.

I'm sure there will be a downside such as increased body roll but I don't drive fast enough to notice.

I've not noticed any difference in noise (summers are Goodyear Efficient Grips). I think the Superb is pretty well insulated.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought 4 Nokians in the end. Bought from here (was recommended on page 5 of this thread). Just need some cold weather now..................

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/

They are shipped out of Germany but turned up one week after order and cheaper than anyone in UK could offer price wise. Happy and thanks for advice guys, saving on tyres justifies my annual subscription here. :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I'm coming up on the time to change my tyres, and in all honestly, with temperatures being what they are (14C, yesterday) I'm debating wether it's worth putting winters on.

I know that January and February are the coldest months but temperatures so far would suggest they would be a waste of time considering it needs to be 7C and below for optimum performance.

Decisions decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm coming up on the time to change my tyres, and in all honestly, with temperatures being what they are (14C, yesterday) I'm debating wether it's worth putting winters on.

I know that January and February are the coldest months but temperatures so far would suggest they would be a waste of time considering it needs to be 7C and below for optimum performance.

Decisions decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All season all the way :)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Winter tyres probably only for skiing holiday this year.

Let me throw a bomb in the conversation. I will leave my winters on all year. Appreciate this is not the best and if I was rich i would run 2 sets but imo better to have winters on in summer than summers on in winter.....

No.....

Far longer braking distance compared to summer tyres.

And the winter tyres are still not as good on wet road either.

Not good.

Admittedly Winter tyres are better in the summer than summer tyres on wintery roads - so you get any.

I once ran my winters through the spring and into the summer and they were fine.

Winter tyres are supposed to be replaced when they get to 3mm but I'm too tight to throw away tyres with plenty of tread still on them.

Accepting their winter performance would suffer I kept them on the car and ran them down to close to the legal limit, stuck the summers back on half way through the summer then bought a brand new set of winters ready for the following winter.

• Like 1

I was thinking of getting some winter tyres and steel wheels for my Superb Elegance TDi Estate and found these 16" steel wheels which look like just what I need. £240-£360 a set depending on which winter tyres are supplied, which sounds very good:

https://www.tyrelead...bi/2-0tdi-20077

I'm not sure I'll need them for this winter! Does anyone have any experience of these?

Alan​ 

£30 for a steel wheel is pretty good, but for £37 you can have a genuine 16" Audi alloy wheel instead.

More pleasing to the eye and better protection against road salt...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-AUDI-A3-6-5x16-Inch-5x112-Alloy-Wheels-Tyres-8P0-601-025-AA-02-05-/321949885045?hash=item4af5b56275:g:uSQAAOSwv0tVULMj

Still get the Nokian WR D4 tyres, they are great. I got mine from Tyre Leader too.

Edited by silver1011

Many thanks for the advice chaps,

The Nokian tyres certainly seem a good choice. I'm not sure about the Audi wheels; I'm quite a fan of steel wheels (generally, much more resistance to damage, plus they look much less trendy - which suits me) and the ones in the link look exactly like the full sized spare under the boot of my car. The insurer is happy with winter tyres as long as I use wheels and tyres specified for my car (which these are), and the cost is rather less than I had expected at £340 delivered.

Best wishes,

Alan