Private registration numbers. do you have one?

Gerthmeister

I bought one a few years ago and have had it on 2 cars, and presently on retention, cost me £40 so well worth doing, apart from the outrageous DVLA charges. Couldnt get it transferred without waiting an eternity for Swansea so I`ll get round to changing the year plates soon.

The Government do nicely out of that one - VAT = 12k

They sure do

My missus is a driving instructor and self employed

I'd try and get her to claim some money back on it ;)

What's the actual point of buying a plate for £15,000 and keeping for 40 years to simply get your money back after that time?

What has this 15k actually done for you in terms of a benefit please?

Be better off sticking the dosh in the bank and making ar least a poxy 1% interest.

You don't keep it just to sell 40 years later.

You buy it to have the pleasure of having it on your car personalising it over that time.

It's not an investment, just like buying a nicer set of wheels isn't.  Difference is the plate doesn't devalue if it's a decent one.

So what as anyone whose ever bought a new car done with a similar amount of money?

Spent it on a showroom shine to make them feel better when a one year old car is cheaper and just as reliable with warranty still ?

Lost probably 20% every time in the first year.

Far worse waste of time IMO, but we still do it. :)

• Like 2

I have just inherited one through a car purchase. I don't really like them and I have never wanted one; far from it really. I'd like to rid myself of this one but I'm not paying the DVLA £70 just to give me back an age related plate. I think the worst thing about it is that people with think I've put it on the car to "hide the age" when I couldn't give a monkey's what people think of me for driving a thirteen year old car. 

Anyway, I have just sent away to a broker to try and get it sold. Should anyone want the plate, do holler.

1237891_10151911512963200_341914469_n.jp

I've been tempted a few times particularly as the Octavia I have is in superb condition and doesn't feel that old at all plus the ideal number plate I'd like is in one of low bands (£399).  However I always relent as there's something better I can buy for the money.

John

We have one on our Fabia VR55HAZ or as it was spaced VR5 5HAZ as the wife is called SHAZ and she drives a VRS only about £250 off DVLA

My mate has S11ORE with a strategically placed bolt the 11 becomes an H  making his surname SHORE, he paid £11K for it, it is fitted to a 2007 Defender 90 farm vehicle he like boss fox sees it as an investment that will not loose money

I have one on my VRS - Bought it from the DVLA 6 years ago to go onto my Scoob (it's quite a relevant number for a Scoob) but when I finally sold the Scoob a year ago, I couldn't part with the number, so I kept it on retention with the idea of putting it back to another Scoob at some point in the future, but I love it so much, I had it put onto my VRS.......... I still go to the Scoob Car Club meets, and I still get comments about the number, even more so now as it's on a VRS!

SWMBO bought one for my 30th incidentally just as I bought the VRS. Not something I ever wanted but now I have it I find it a good thing since it stops me calculating the age of teh car every time I look at it. I think it's stopped me from being so keen to change cars so often. Probably paid for itself in that way.

Mine is my year of birth plus my initials. First letter is actually SWMBOs first initial bbut just a coincidence since she actually wanted 'X' but it was £200 more.

I'd like to rid myself of this one but I'm not paying the DVLA £70 just to give me back an age related plate. 

You don't have to pay, just write them a handwritten  letter saying  you wish to surrender it and they'll

give it it's original number back if possible, or a random age related plate for the year. Zero fee.

I did exactly this with my MX5 so know this to be true. I'll see if I can find the email they sent me

telling me who to write to.

I got my plate J40YNY for £250 including all fees. To have anything like JA61YNE I would be looking at thousands, and most people call me Jayney rather than Jayne anyway so I believe I got a bargain :)

I bought myself a prsonalised plate for my 50th birthday with the intention of keeping it & it was the std £450 DVLA price so was not a bank breaker.

Mine is personal & not one that tries to make a word with illegal spacing.

I have no problems with the specific personal plates, as these usually have been bought of a very personal reason that has some meaning to the individual that close family & friends understand.

Ones that are illegally spaced that try to make words are a novelty, & like all novelties become tiresome & boring after a while, specially to those neighbours who have to look at it every time it passes them on the road, & i am sure many people start thinking when the see this time after time, after time, - It must be a nob ead that owns it. - Just expressing an opinion.

We have one on our Fabia VR55HAZ or as it was spaced VR5 5HAZ as the wife is called SHAZ and she drives a VRS only about £250 off DVLA

My mate has S11ORE with a strategically placed bolt the 11 becomes an H  making his surname SHORE, he paid £11K for it, it is fitted to a 2007 Defender 90 farm vehicle he like boss fox sees it as an investment that will not loose money

Funny thing is my BO55 FOX plate wasn't bought as an investment, I just liked it and got it when the 55 plates came out for my first ever new car, a 2005 Defender 110.

Odd thing is, I've been offered £8,000 for it this year by the MD of an accountancy firm that just happens to have FOX in the name.  In 2005 it cost me £2,800.

Not selling though. :no:

My wife and I both just make up little things from the letters we get. I don't think personalised plates are worth what they cost. I'd like to have one, but not for the silly money the DVLA charge because, for me, it'd just be a little tongue in cheek humour.

My wife's: Oliver Understands nn Adjectives And Verbs - catchy no?

Mine ends in Will Sometimes Fly. ;)

Funny thing is my BO55 FOX plate wasn't bought as an investment, I just liked it and got it when the 55 plates came out for my first ever new car, a 2005 Defender 110.

Odd thing is, I've been offered £8,000 for it this year by the MD of an accountancy firm that just happens to have FOX in the name.  In 2005 it cost me £2,800.

Not selling though. :no:

You won't see that return from a high street bank.