Poor headlights

Headlights on my 06 vrs are crap to say the least,went to halfrauds last nite and they wanted £50 for a pair of uprated bulbs......sod that.Just wondered what you guys used for better lighting plz???

Assume you got halogen?

Plenty of people on here have fitted HID kits.

I got some bulbs from Halfords, Super Brilliance Blue, and they were, at the time, BOGOF at £23.

Another suggestion is Osram or Philips.

Paul.

As the Octavia has projector type headlights the best way to get better light output is as mentioned above, a HID kit from London Colour.

With ignitors, ballasts, bulbs and delivery they are still cheaper than a set of bulbs from Halfords.

Assuming you are using H7 and H1 bulbs. Due to using seperate bulbs for high and low beam it is pricey but you get better light output than using H4 double fillament bulbs.

I'd recomend using H7 bulbs such as Philips X-treme Vision, Osram Nightbreaker Ultimate, Ring Xenon 120%+. You want to stay away from those bulbs saying they are white white when the bulb is caked in blue paint. This reduces light output but gives a white output.

You can fit H7 HID kits but remember they are not legal when you dont have self adjusting headlights, headlight washers which you wont have if you currently have halogen bulbs. You already have projectors so the pattern shouldnt be as bad as those who run them in normal halogen designed headunits

You can fit H7 HID kits but remember they are not legal when you dont have self adjusting headlights, headlight washers which you wont have if you currently have halogen bulbs. You already have projectors so the pattern shouldnt be as bad as those who run them in normal halogen designed headunits

I've used aftermarket hid kits in 4 different cars over the last few years and never been stopped by the police or failed an mot. Have asked a few mot testers and they said as long as beam pattern is correct then it is fine. Have factory xenons on my vrs now so don't need to worry if they change the law about aftermarket.

thats because some mot testers dont 100% know the regs and a lot simply dont bother, my last mot went through with a leaking shock not even noted down! If the pattern is ok then they let is go

just because you dont get stopped etc doesnt mean you are not blinding people.

Anyway, this is not a thread about HID's because it will always end up the same. A small minority correctly saying they are not legal and the rest saying they are fine because "they have never been pulled" and simply not listening because its not what they want to hear.

Back on topic please?

The cheapest way to find good H7 halogens is look at sites like autobulbs or power bulbs, find a bulb you like then look for it on ebay etc. H7 bulbs are pricey but £50 at helfrauds is a joke

I've got a 58 plate Mk2, and I assume the headlights hadn't changed from 2006

If people can't see with the standard lights they must be driving faster than they should be as mine are absolutely fine

• Like 2

Anyway, this is not a thread about HID's

Back on topic please?

The topic is about improving the headlights, for which one option is a HID kit.

You took it off topic by mentioning the word 'legal'.

• Like 2

Halogen are ****e compared to HIDs. 

I use the decent Osrams which are slightly better than normal bulbs on my Rover (<£20 iirc), but still rubbish vs hids. In reality there isnt much you can do as the bulb can only draw 55w. 

Another option is if your fitting allows using a higher wattage bulb but then this will also be illegal and can fry your loom. 

If you need better headlights you need hids. Saying its off topic is BS, if youve got projectors just fit some washers and your completely legal.

Infact if you have projectors you can run hids safely anyway as long you make sure they are correctly adjusted (just take them out for the MOT).

The problem is people is fitting hids to reflectors. 

In practical terms, there is no problem with fitting HID bulbs in the projector headlights of the Octavia. If the beam is adjusted properly and you manually adjust the beam down when carrying heavy loads in the rear, you will cause no more dazzle than factory fitted Xenon headlights, guaranteed.   

I wouldn't bother messing around with uprated halogen bulbs. I have a pair of Osram nightbreaker plus bulbs in my Fabia (it has reflector headlights so HID is not really an option) and I have been totally underwhelmed with their performance. Only slightly better than standard bulbs and not worth the extra cost. 

Mercedes no longer fit headlight washers to their xenon-equipped E-Class.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Scaremongering around the legality of HID's is older than the internet itself.

Let's drop the legal BS and focus on helping the OP...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/hids-direct

Mercedes no longer fit headlight washers to their xenon-equipped E-Class.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Scaremongering around the legality of HID's is older than the internet itself.

Let's drop the legal BS and focus on helping the OP...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/hids-direct

thats because they are LED, not xenon :)

my info comes from the horses mouth as it were. Ignore it if you want though :)

I've suggested some halogen bulbs which will be good replacements btw

My info comes from the horses mouth as it were.

Yawn, another persons interpretation of the regs. I'd stop talking to horses about headlights :giggle:

Edited by silver1011

As always chap and lots of people on this forum, just shut your eyes, put your fingers in your ears. The rules on afternarket hids wont exist then.

Btw the horse is also known as vosa

Is that the wooly document they put out some years ago or can you provide something more?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The headlights on my 08 fsi are great, far better than I've had on previous cars. sorry don't know what they are but pressume they are standard. I will try to find out!!!

The headlights on my mkII are a lot better than my mkI. They seem a bit low but I wonder if this is because the projector style give a sharper cut off than the old reflector type in the mkI. Will get them checked next month at MoT time.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk