mytyres.co.uk - Steel Wheels

Has anyone on here bought a winter tyre and steel wheel package from mytyres?

They seem to be the cheapest for the 205 55 R16 7Jx16 ET45 set I need.

I was wondering if anyone had any long term experiences of the actual wheels over a few winters. Are they durable? Any surface rust?

I'm guessing at these prices they aren't OEM VAG steels and are in fact aftermarket ones.

A few of the online suppliers make specific reference to the source of their steels (TUV approved etc.) but I can't find anything from mytyres.

I actually quite like the plain black look of the steels but if they go rusty then I'll hold out for a decent set of 16" alloys instead.

16-Inch-Steel-Wheels-for-Skoda-Superb-Ye

can't comment on durability as I've just bought a steel winter package back in August for my brother's car in August but the finish looks as good as OEM finish and they are made by a wheel company called KFZ, also if you are committed to buy a set from mytyres don't delay as prices tend to go up when it actually snows.  They also come very quickly from Germany as I ordered on Monday and they arrived on Thursday.

http://www.kfz-raeder.at/38340_EN.htm

Yeah, a set of four steel wheels is £229. Tyres on top.

Their cheapest tyres add another £180 (Autogrip S100 Ice) which takes the total to £409.

For Avon Ice Tourers it is £489. 

mytyres are asking for £474 for the same package.

Apologies didn't see at first you wanted tyres as well.

I went for the 16" steelies with Dunlop WinterSport 4D. Cost £539 but Mr WinterWheels are offering a £50 Fuel Cashback at Tesco.

I was better off going through Mr Winter Wheels as posting to Northern Scotland by mytyres was an extra £40!

• Like 2

3% off through Quidco too so another £14 off.

Thats down to £460.

4x 205/55 R16 94H Avon Ice Touring ST winter tyres.

4x LK5 x 112.00 v 57.00 (7J X 16 ET45) steel wheels.

Have you checked out reviews for those Avon tyres?

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Avon/Ice-Touring-ST.htm

20th and 40th in the two proper tests isn't brilliant. These Continentals are pretty consistently best rated but they'll probably cost more.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/WinterContact-TS-850.htm

The test results may give some other options worth considering?

Very interested in your question btw as I'm considering steel wheels and tryres from mytyres too.

I have some here, which I will fit at the weekend if it stops raining.  They look like any other black-painted steel wheels I've seen.  I've got some of the Halfords Advanced wheel trims, which are going to be slightly fiddly to clean - they're similar to the Octavia I wheel trims -  but do fit well (on the tighter of the two steel ring adjustment options) and look fairly OEM when you stick a Skoda domed badge in the middle of each trim.  the problem with many wheel trims is that they ping off or bulge out too much, looking very unconvincing - better to have something that looks like a good wheel trim than a bad fake alloy wheel.

It will be interesting to see if they are lighter than the OEM alloys.  Quite often, steel wheels are.

• Like 1

I bought steels and Hankook Winters (205/55 R16 94V) fitted, balanced and delivered from Rainworth Skoda for £460 all in.

That was October 2012, and I have just put them back on for this winter  - swapped front to back and side to side. 2010 vRS TSI Estate.  16s just fitted over vRS front brake callipers - and I mean JUST. 

I am impressed with the durability of the steels.  No rust so far.

Grip awesome in cold / damp / snow.

I hear you Mike, by my own admission I'm very funny when it comes to wheels. I'm quite vain I think.

The choices I've been toying with are as follows (there are others but I'm trying to keep it simple):

1) 16" bare steel wheels - I don't mind this look as most people associate a modern car on small steel wheels during the winter months as being fitted with winter tyres.

2) 16" steel wheels with aftermarket trims - I am a big fan of keeping things OEM and have never been a huge fan of aftermarket trims.

3) 16" steel wheels with OEM Skoda trims - People will think my car is bog standard! Did I mention I'm vain? Also genuine trims can cost more than the steel wheel it's covering!

4) 16" VAG alloys - I've left it too late in the year, they are scarce, need refurbing or most of the sellers are hiking their prices due to the time of year (who can blame them). 

5) 16" aftermarket alloys - together with steels are popular in Germany but as they are not OEM no good for me!

So that leaves undressed steels. I may get some of the black VW Caddy hub and nut covers.

But the important this is I don't want rusty steels. I'll keep them clean (or at least least as clean as can be expected in winter) so I'm hoping the steel wheels from mytyres are of the same quality as OEM. The spare in my boot seems very good. As I cover 30,000 miles a year they will be at the mercy of high speed stone chips and salt.

Edited by silver1011

Wanting to sell? I work in Spennymoor and can collect :rofl:

600 quid and there yours !

They will be going on my car end of next week. O am leaving the std alloys on til I take the car to the dealer's next week to have a grinding noise from the steering investigated.

I got a set from mytyres, they've done two north-east winters, and I'll be putting them back on again soon.

I put T5 centre caps on to keep the worst of the crud off the nuts and hub; now I've learned the trick of using a blob of silicone on each nut, I shouldn't loose any this winter.

They get a good clean when they're taken off in the spring, and a liberal coating of Scottoiler FS 365.

If you look really closely there's some slight signs of rust, but they look fine from normal viewing distance.

600 quid and there yours !

They will be going on my car end of next week. O am leaving the std alloys on til I take the car to the dealer's next week to have a grinding noise from the steering investigated.

Sounds like you have a use for them so I won't steal them from you!

I have a budget of around £450 so looks like I'll be heading down the mytyres route before the snow arrives and pushes prices up even further.

Have you checked out reviews for those Avon tyres?

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Avon/Ice-Touring-ST.htm

20th and 40th in the two proper tests isn't brilliant. These Continentals are pretty consistently best rated but they'll probably cost more.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/WinterContact-TS-850.htm

The test results may give some other options worth considering?

Very interested in your question btw as I'm considering steel wheels and tryres from mytyres too.

The Continental, Goodyear and Nokian winter tyres always get good feedback, but then as you pointed out they are roughly £20-£30 more expensive per tyre.

I'm from Yorkshire and quite tight :rofl:

Thanks for the links, the readers reviews show the Avon's aren't too bad. I've experimented with budget, mid-range and premium tyres over the years and whilst I tend to avoid budgets I don't believe premium tyres justify their... well, premium! But this argument is best saved for another day!

Hmmm, I thought I'd give Rainworth Skoda a shot as they've helped me out a lot in the past and are quite well known for their keen pricing.

For the exact same package as mytyres are quoting (£460) Rainworth are quoting £485.

Is it worth an extra £25 for genuine OEM Skoda steels wheels!?

Is it worth an extra £25 for genuine OEM Skoda steels wheels!?

It is if you want to fit the caddy caps (which may assuage your vain-ness over having steels on the car in the first place)

Sure I've ready on here (probably the Yeti forum) that the mytyres steels are dished fractionally differently and as such the caddy caps don't fit very well. (This was a few years ago mind, could have changed).

Niall

• Like 1

It is if you want to fit the caddy caps (which may assuage your vain-ness over having steels on the car in the first place)

Sure I've ready on here (probably the Yeti forum) that the mytyres steels are dished fractionally differently and as such the caddy caps don't fit very well. (This was a few years ago mind, could have changed).

... and that's why I use a blob of silicone on each nut to make sure the caps don't fall off. :-)

• Like 1

Sounds like you have a use for them so I won't steal them from you!

I have a budget of around £450 so looks like I'll be heading down the mytyres route before the snow arrives and pushes prices up even further.

Mine were a little less than that after quidco, 4 x 16 inch wheels with falken eurowinter 449 tyres. they were delivered in about 5 days.

Mine were a little less than that after quidco, 4 x 16 inch wheels with falken eurowinter 449 tyres. they were delivered in about 5 days.

These are for my Superb so I need a slightly higher load rating (94 instead of the normal 91), I think this pushes up the price a smidge.

Edited by silver1011

... and that's why I use a blob of silicone on each nut to make sure the caps don't fall off. :-)

Good call guys, that might seal the deal through Rainworth then!

Mytyres steels have done two winters on mine with no sign of rust as yet. Also fitted Caddy caps with no issues, snug fit & not needed anything else to keep them in place.  Still on summer rubber at the moment as temps in double figures here in the south.