Where to get 15inch rims from - Winter Wheels

jrw

Hi

I have been quoted £192 for 4 x 15 inch steel rims for swmbo Fabia.  I would like to know if you know of any dealers that have specials on these?

I am struggling to find any on ebay (been looking for months) and the one set that I found on the classifieds on here had the wrong profile tyres :(

This is seeming to be an expensive excercise at the moment as I then need to get 4 tyres to go on them.

Before people say I don't need them etc, I live high up for the area and the access out of my street is on a hill and I struggled in mine last year with winter tyres on due to the DSG.  It is also to protect the diamond cut edge on the Black Gigaros.

Thanks in advance.

I paid £140 for a set of Skoda 15"steel rims from my dealer. I thought I paid less but just checked the receipt. Not sure if they have gone up as I bought mine 8 months ago. The first quote they gave me was considerably more but haggled them down (inverness)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Saw that link when I put fabia winter wheels in about 5seconds after I posted lil.

Cheers for that. At least I know they're a dealer now so will definitely order them.

Any recommendations on tyres? I have Avon ice touring St on my Octavia and can't really fault them.

Also not too sure on speed and load ratings for the fabia vrs.

Cheers guys.

I'm running NANKANG SV-2 can't remember the ratings, well have a look when I venture outside!

They are a higher end budget tyre, budget none the less, but I can't fault them really, I had them on my Panda 100hp last year

I used cooper tyre SA2's on my mk1 fabia vrs. Perhaps not the highest end tyre, but soooo much better than the goodyear f1's I was using!

You'll find most winter tyres have a lower speed rating. So instead of doing 140mph on your summers your limited to 120-130 odd :rofl:

http://www.blackcircles.com/general/speedrating

Rainworth should be able to help advise on tyre's but as a reference, I'm running 195/55 R15 85H cooper "weather master snow" on my new Monte - no snow yet to try them out, but a semi reasonable budget winter tyre will be better than a summer tyre.

For tyre pressures, I used the pressures on the filler cap (+ 1 or 2 psi as per skoda advice when using winters)

One thing I did notice on winter tyres was the "wet grip rating". Tyres like Vredestein and Bridgestones had an E or F rating whilst others had a higher C rating (just like Jonro SV-2's). Considering the roads are more likely to be wet rather than snow, you may want to shop about and get a better rating tyre.

You need the suitable Load Rating and Speed rating for the vehicle you are fitting to, maybe a lower speed rating is OK for winter use.

XL is stronger sidewalls, if you are going smaller rims, 15" or 16" and taller sidewalls, you decide about XL when choosing suitable tyres.

On 17"s i would only fit XL's 'extra load'

http://michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/tyre-basics/how-to-read-a-tyre-side-wall

inflating in winter

http://michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/cold-weather-tips

george

I bought some secondhand mk1 vRS 16" alloys for £100,spent quite some time prepping and repainting in satin black .

Four Kumho kw 23 195/50/16 tyres bought from My Tyres and fitted by local garage at £82 each,equals £428 total (I did have the paints already on the garage shelf)

I could have got 4 15" steels from Rainworth at £140,got 195/55/15 Kumho kw23 tyres in the same way for £72 each....equals £428 again,for a lot less work!!!

Ah well,I suppose my alloys at least look better!

there are some 15 inch wheels AND winter tyres for sale in the for sale section...

including my old 17inch Nexen Winguard sports for those who want a straight swap onto their 17inch wheels.

*cough* /shamless plug.

jrw,

i was a little surprise in your post that you say you struggled last year because of the DSG even with Winter tyres on.

The Fabias DSG is pretty good really IME when the TC is switched off and with a light throttle.

Which tyres were you using?

george

Just for another option, I bought 16" Seat wheels which all in cost me a good bit less than new steelies, they are correct PCD 7j so decent width making them versatile, Nankang SV2's in 195/50/16 cost me £200.00 new, £40.00 to fit and balance.

Currently in the midst of spray dipping the wheels, could be done for £20.00.

All in I will come in under £350.00 and will have a nice looking serviceable set of 16"spares to boot.

For me buddy, get some masking tape, Meths and twenty quids worth of dip and you are laughing for a colour change. You might like it enough to not bother with trims, if you are going to hide it behind a trim I wouldn't bother.

All depends what you want.

The spraying is within reach of anyone that can really clean a wheel down, wipe it with spirit and point a spray can.

I'm getting results because people gave me advice and I'm happy to do the same for anyone who wants a pointer.

I'm a complete novice with a cloth and spray can but I can follow instructions.....unless you speak to SWMBO and she would disagree.

Take it masking tape is for the tyres? I would be doing it before they went on anyway

When you say clean a wheel do you mean soap and water and a good degreaser or something more?

Start with a read of my thread, I typed up most of it

But yes, essentially a good wash down, APC and then an IPA type wipe down.

Mask off tyres and valve, stuff one sheet of loo roll in each bolt seat and get cracking.

And if it all goes wrong, which it won't, you can peel it off in a sheet.