8 minutes ago, imikk3 said:

The is a useful info in the workshop sticky thread where you can download the relevant info you need or you can use this which is just copied from there 

http://www.fileshare.ro/e31335605

Thanks @imikk3 - I totally missed a big sticky post with the words "Workshop Manual" in the title at the top of the forum!

Need to go to specsavers :)

• Like 1

I read somewhere it's not a problem for the saloon...? 

I'm dropping it off at the garage tonight to get the dent fixed. 

I don't feel right spending another £3-4k for the Audi which has less trim and potentially costs more to service. 

I'll re-evaluate after honeymoon. 

How bad are the tyres, if they are barely legal, should the supplying dealer be contributing towards the cost?

The Goodyears seem to have lower db ratings than some. Definately stick with the well known brands, no Chinese Landsail, Sunny etc...lol

The rubbish tyres some people put on their cars is unbelievable...and they wonder why they handle badly...

Edited by glosrich

Handed it in just now. Mentioned not good enough to drop so much cash then discover a door dent, especially as it's number one on their checklist, giving me no confidence in the rest of the checks. I should have mentioned the scratches but they're minor. Guy seemed decent!

Made a point of the cabin boom and showed him the huge thread on it, on the Skoda forums. He said that's the hard part. 

I did mention the nail in rear tyre but he said they do spin the wheels to check for that. I noted to him how all 4 tyres are different with different and uneven wear, so it could be an expensive experiment for me to replace them all, only to discover it hasn't helped any. 

So I'm back next Friday to see how it goes. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm picking the car up either tomorrow night or on Saturday. The garage has fixed the dent (I'm just back from honeymoon so haven't seen it). The master tech has driven the car over rough ground at low speeds and not heard the boom. It was worse for me when the car was fully loaded but I could still hear it when just me in the car, and an independent garage agreed on the noise. So no resolution on that front.

It needs four new tyres, and if I keep it.. I might shell out for soundproofing. But going by replies on this thread, there won't be too much improvement. I'll end up spending close to £11k all in. Lot of cash for me. I'll drive it next week and see if I can stand it as another couple £k for an Audi is a lot for me. I'm angry at the situation I'm finding myself in as my girlfriend's cancer is top priority and I don't want to waste any more time on this. 

Probably worth seeing what we buy any car offers now it's fixed, and just get out of it.

Sometimes in life you have to accept a mistake and move on. Unfortunately it's a feature of the Octavia that it's fairly noisy.

Maybe worth having a word with the dealer you bought it from, see if they will offer a good price for it or let you buy a different car from them, that's quieter.

Hope it works out, you don't need the hassle.

Edited by glosrich

Picked the car up today. 

The door looks good as new. Dent is gone, as are the scratches as they repainted the whole thing. Great job!

Regarding the noise, the master tech drove it while I was away at low revs over rough road and other conditions but couldn't hear what I was talking about. I did say it was worse when the car was fully loaded. I referenced this thread but was told there are lots of "online mechanics" and best stick to actual Skoda cases. Said it might just have been the type of road I was driving over (but then other cars should show the same effect which my Focus never did..) and that a little dynamat here and there might be worth a try if I can still hear it. To be fair, I think the garage is a good one but I'm on a hiding to nothing with this noise issue. 

So today I drove my girlfriend's old Fiesta over some road... followed immediately by the Octavia over the same road. 

In short, the Fiesta had a lot more road noise, but none of the low frequency rumble (I got out with no headache). 

The Octavia is by FAR the nicer car (in fact I'd say I love everything about it other than this issue - it is a great car and I feel like a King driving it) and much less road noise (much quieter over even road)... BUT it feels like every bump or uneven patch in the road causes this low frequency boom that can sometimes feel like a big padded gong stick hitting your ear. I'm fairly certain it's not road noise / tyre noise. I swear that I feel like a tuning fork getting hit - for a little while after driving I have ear/head-ache (not always!) and my teeth sometimes feel sore. This might sound silly but think about it like this... you're at a gig and standing in front of a bass amp. The floor is vibrating and it travels through your jaw to your teeth. Your bones shake. Your teeth hurt. You get a headache. The physical sensation is a bit like that. Long-term, that can't be good... Some people have jokingly said that I should turn the radio up, but the persistent low-freq boom would still be present and can be felt physically. 

I am loathe to spend cash on new tyres + re-alignment + dynamat when I think it wont solve the issue. 

I am also loathe to get rid of it. I love the engine. The Elegance spec really is fantastic. 

I have no idea what else to get. £10.5k was LAVISH for me.

£13k for an Audi? Too much. 

VW - too many reliability problems and TSI engines as costly as Audi.

Seat? Never fancied them. 

Toyota seem to get pants reviews, I am now turned off Civics but slightly onto their little Jazz cars, Ford mpg is rubbish, French cars seem to have endless electric problems, etc etc.. 

-> Whatever it is, has to be petrol. Diesel is a major no-no.

I looked briefly in the Fiesta boot and it had a lot more sound dampening material than the Skoda has, between the boot lining and the metal frame of the car - sort of like carpet underlay. It seriously can't cost that much for Skoda to have done the same...

I did say to myself that I could maybe put up with the noise as I mainly drive motorway and not all that often... but really, it's 40 mins to work and 40 mins back every day. I do have major things to be worrying about instead of this, but also can't stick with something that will give me a headache every day, possibly. 

SUCH a bummer... I'm going to keep scanning other cars but we're in the process of buying a new home (wife always wanted a nice one with a back garden so she's getting it - and I'm getting skint lol!!) so mega busy and not exactly flush. 

The saga continues! 

Edited by guitarman001

1 hour ago, guitarman001 said:

Picked the car up today. 

The door looks good as new. Dent is gone, as are the scratches as they repainted the whole thing. Great job!

Regarding the noise, the master tech drove it while I was away at low revs over rough road and other conditions but couldn't hear what I was talking about. I did say it was worse when the car was fully loaded. I referenced this thread but was told there are lots of "online mechanics" and best stick to actual Skoda cases. Said it might just have been the type of road I was driving over (but then other cars should show the same effect which my Focus never did..) and that a little dynamat here and there might be worth a try if I can still hear it. To be fair, I think the garage is a good one but I'm on a hiding to nothing with this noise issue. 

So today I drove my girlfriend's old Fiesta over some road... followed immediately by the Octavia over the same road. 

In short, the Fiesta had a lot more road noise, but none of the low frequency rumble (I got out with no headache). 

The Octavia is by FAR the nicer car (in fact I'd say I love everything about it other than this issue - it is a great car and I feel like a King driving it) and much less road noise (much quieter over even road)... BUT it feels like every bump or uneven patch in the road causes this low frequency boom that can sometimes feel like a big padded gong stick hitting your ear. I'm fairly certain it's not road noise / tyre noise. I swear that I feel like a tuning fork getting hit - for a little while after driving I have ear/head-ache (not always!) and my teeth sometimes feel sore. This might sound silly but think about it like this... you're at a gig and standing in front of a bass amp. The floor is vibrating and it travels through your jaw to your teeth. Your bones shake. Your teeth hurt. You get a headache. The physical sensation is a bit like that. Long-term, that can't be good... Some people have jokingly said that I should turn the radio up, but the persistent low-freq boom would still be present and can be felt physically. 

I am loathe to spend cash on new tyres + re-alignment + dynamat when I think it wont solve the issue. 

I am also loathe to get rid of it. I love the engine. The Elegance spec really is fantastic. 

I have no idea what else to get. £10.5k was LAVISH for me.

£13k for an Audi? Too much. 

VW - too many reliability problems and TSI engines as costly as Audi.

Seat? Never fancied them. 

Toyota seem to get pants reviews, I am now turned off Civics but slightly onto their little Jazz cars, Ford mpg is rubbish, French cars seem to have endless electric problems, etc etc.. 

-> Whatever it is, has to be petrol. Diesel is a major no-no.

I looked briefly in the Fiesta boot and it had a lot more sound dampening material than the Skoda has, between the boot lining and the metal frame of the car - sort of like carpet underlay. It seriously can't cost that much for Skoda to have done the same...

I did say to myself that I could maybe put up with the noise as I mainly drive motorway and not all that often... but really, it's 40 mins to work and 40 mins back every day. I do have major things to be worrying about instead of this, but also can't stick with something that will give me a headache every day, possibly. 

SUCH a bummer... I'm going to keep scanning other cars but we're in the process of buying a new home (wife always wanted a nice one with a back garden so she's getting it - and I'm getting skint lol!!) so mega busy and not exactly flush. 

The saga continues! 

As I commented before, this problem has existed for four years and as far as I know has never been fixed.

Sadly, I feel your only option is to get rid of the car. This is what I had to do as I could no longer stand the noise in my ears.

Believe me I lost thousands, but in hindsight it was the right thing to do.

I have had a 64 plate VRS estate for nearly 3 years and had a thrumming resonance from the rear of the car, which varies according to the road surface. I believe it to be the noise from the rear suspension being transmitted through the bodyshell into the boot, which is acting like a big speaker. The car has been into 3 different dealers who could find no problem - no surprise there ! Have changed the tyres to Goodyears, had dynamat installed around boot, had new rear shocks and tried adjusting boot. I have actually found that having some old dustsheets and curtains lying permanently in the boot has reduced the noise to an acceptable level, as I guess they are absorbing the sound.

The ultimate solution though is to order a Superb Sportline, using your wife's Spaceback as a part exchange and getting your wife to have the VRS !! This is what I have done and have just taken delivery of a Corrida red Sportline. It is so much quieter, smoother and more refined than VRS, which is no real surprise. Plus I still get to drive the VRS, when I want to experience 300bhp again !

Such a shame that you are having to get rid of the car, because of this one issue.

4 hours ago, guitarman001 said:

I grudgingly think I'll have to do this... And sooner rather than later to minimise depreciation. If so, I'll very quickly need to decide on which other car to get...

If you get yourself an Audi if you can afford one, as you have shown interest in these, you will recoup initial increased purchase price when it comes to sale time.

The reason why Skoda's are few grand cheaper is because they are not as well built or as nice and quiet to drive as corners have been cut in the assembly and quality process.

It may cost a little more to run but less likely for things to go wrong in my experience of both makes, due to better build quality and materials used.

You will undoubtedly enjoy driving it more and recoup a good bit come sale time.............Good luck.

Ps, I have similar issues as yourself, as in I find the Octavia unbelievably noisy on the road.

I have this exact noise issue and found its not 1 thing its several things.

1. Back seat ski hatch. Hit it with your fist repetitively and it reverberates its not damped!, the back rest is way to flexible and isent helping.

2. The rear boot blind, the little flap that touches the seat flaps causing pulsing noise.

3. The rear shocks are not particulaly good, this may be due to the damping ability when the vehical is lightly loaded. 

I have put dynomat in the boot and the difference is marginal, an i have a full size spare and a rubber boot mat.

The road noise is somthing compleatly seperate, i put this down to the general lack of sound proofing and crap eco conti tyres used. Then there is wind noise, wing mirrors dont help eather. 

The saloon i test drove dident seam to have this,  however its hard to tell from a 15 min test drive. Next car i am hoing to hire one for a week. This is my only criticism of the car.

Interesting info, thanks - I'll try banging the ski hatch..

Tonight I put a whole bunch of heavy blankets in the car.

Two to fill the spare wheel sections. 

One big one plus a pillow in the boot. 

Another one on the tray. 

-> I think it might have helped a tad but it's hard to say. For a second I thought "wow, this is what it should be like."

I also took a walk around Ford and Audi forecourts to see what was on offer. 

I like (and "know") the Focus.. the new one looks great but mpg sucks. Smaller than the Octavia which I am now looking for...!

Audi... A1 is within range but quite small. A3 prices just so much... 

I managed 61mpg peak in the Octavia on the way to work, which is mostly motorway & bypass and downhill / flat. However that was also driving like a saint. 

When driving properly so I'm not taking forever getting to work I get ~50mpg there and 43mpg back. I think the average is about 45-46mpg. It was 37mpg for the Focus.

Mine is poverty spec, no armrest or ski hatch, no rear blinds.

I tried taking the polystyrene from the wheel well out, made no difference.

If I wasn't driving an Octavia I'd probably look at a Mondeo to be honest

I don't, either. If anybody is near Edinburgh, come sit in my car to see if I'm not going mental. 

I wonder if those with "ok" models have the same issue, just that they can't hear it. 

FYI from what I've read SEAT are ok but they seem to get poorer reviews in terms of reliability. 

If you get a good Audi, it's golden. A bad one will coast a lot to fix, on top of the premium paid for the car.

VW? I'm put off these due to reliability reports. 

The new Focus EcoBoost looks ok but I've read reports of engine failure. 

It's not leaving me with many options. 

What other models does it bring up that has the noise? 

FYI I'm wary of a car the same size with the same features - the SEAT Leon looks ok but the boot still looks big, with that ski hatch... so it's probably a big no-no for me. 

Volvo - isn't V40 diesel? I *think* I'd prefer petrol, and it has to be > 44mpg or so... with 50mpg+ on long trips (used to it now!).

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=422787

Sot of related: http://www.salford.ac.uk/computing-science-engineering/research/acoustics/psychoacoustics/low-frequency-noise/frequently-asked-questions

I have to add - I don't like the dash on a lot of Volvos (shame as they're tanks) - the one with the big keypad - "fugly" !

If they also weren't so fugly, I'd consider a Honda Jazz.

Edited by guitarman001