Let's stop knocking the look of the FL.

Truthseeker

I don't think there's anything wrong with the FL at all. The new front end makes it more mainstream/samey in the SUV market but it's essentially the same car. I bought the old shape because I like it, but mainly because I didn't want to wait months for the FL to get here.

I can see this from both viewpoints. I originally ordered a pre-FL, and on seeing the FL felt it was not as good looking as the original. Skoda seem to have missed a trick here in just going for the 'corporate' look, they could have tried to keep the FL Yeti more distinctive whilst still aligning it with their new company style.

Having said all that my order was changed to the FL and I have come to like it for what it is, as well as for the other 95% of the car that hasn't changed. However I can certainly see why many pre-FL owners aren't rushing to change now! Sitting on the fence - no, just for some of us now is the time to change and the FL is what's available, having looked at what else is out there the Yeti still works for me.

I'm not about to knock the FL, I don't feel the need to have a strong opinion on it as my yeti is only 3 months old.

I love the style of the car I have, and I'm glad I got it before the FL came out. If I hadn't then I guess I'd have accepted an FL version just the same.

By the time I change car there may be a yeti mk2, that should be interesting.

• Like 1

I am delighted I got my pre F/L but I am sure I would have been just as pleased if it had arrived as the F/L, it could have gone either way as I only placed my order on Sept 17th. Basically, I just wanted a Yeti!   I have some envious friends who would have been just the same shade of green if it had been the F/L :happy:

I am delighted I got my pre F/L but I am sure I would have been just as pleased if it had arrived as the F/L, it could have gone either way as I only placed my order on Sept 17th. Basically, I just wanted a Yeti!   I have some envious friends who would have been just the same shade of green if it had been the F/L :happy:

Jungle Green I hope!

I 'm one of those who like (adore would be more appropriate) the Yeti with round fog-lights over the FL any given day. But it is also as important for everyone to understand that the above statement applies to me and my taste alone. Meaning even if the whole rest of the world were not to like it, I' d still would. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. If more people were to like something and find it beautiful then it would be even better but the most (and usually only) important thing is what I like.

That being said, I think the above should apply for those who like/love the FL shape too. And any car/make/model further more. As long as people respect my choice and taste I don't mind if they like it too.

So for all of you who like FL over old shape please know that you all count as Yeti-ans as I'll ever be, to my eyes. What really matters is that YOU will like the car you get inside and out.

PS. As English is not my native language, I hope the message communicates through and there won't be any misunderstanding.

Life is what happens while we... make plans!

• Like 3

Personally I can't get worked one way or the other regarding existing and F/L shapes. Perhaps when I see the F/L 'in the flesh' my view may alter.

Whatever model one has, be it petrol or diesel, for each and everyone of us it has been a 'considered' purchase and from what comments I see on this forum most owners are well pleased with their Yetis. So lets be conscillatory to those with varying views as to the aesthetics of the F/L.

Some critics have stated they have no preference over Alloys or Steels, as "you can't see them when driving" , and are possibly the same ones who don't like the FL. So why all the negativity, when you won't be able to see the new front "when driving"?

I don't follow why those would be the same people. Surely anyone who didn't care about alloys vs steels for that reason also wouldn't care about the original vs the FL?

• Like 1

I'm not one of those people who "loves" their car or gives it a name. It's serves a purpose, but I do want something I like, is good to drive, and suits my needs and in that respect I really like the Yeti.

I would say looks wise, within my group of friends, it's about 50/50 like it or hate it.

Something unavoidable about the look of the Yeti given its relatively compact size is the vertical rear. This gives decent height for stowage and also means that the tailgate opens to give a good high aperture and so, as is often said, provided you're prepared to pack vertically then you can fit a surprising amount of stuff in the back. But it does inevitably give it more the outline of a van (with rear windows admittedly), which is usually designed with the same aim of maximising storage volume. 

I'd suggest that it's this part of the silhouette that divides opinion (especially among non Yeti owners) far more than whether or not there are round foglights to the front. Some may positively like the van-like look, others are prepared to live with it for the sake of the sheer practicality of the design or if you appreciate form follows function design principles (I guess I'm in this latter camp). But obviously if you hate the look then you won't buy one and you probably won't be reading this. In a lot of ways it's perhaps the modern equivalent of the good old Morris 1000 Traveller (bar the 4x4 option and the comparison only relevant to those of a certain age).

As it happens, I was looking at a Q3 this afternoon with its sloping rear and stowage options definitely inferior to the Yeti. But my search for a Yeti alternative is really nothing to do with the cosmetics of the FL, it's more because the design, mechanicals & features of the Yeti have moved on scarcely at all with the FL (rear view camera is all I can think of offhand).

With the Q3 I can get a powerful petrol DSG with 179 CO2, excellent refinement, more ergonomic dash (eg satnav, radio controls etc much more in the driver's sightline and distinctly easier to operate safely while driving) and so on. Certainly it comes at a price and I'm not saying I'll buy one - 'just looking' for the present and the Q3's limited storage and blobby shape are less than appealing. But it does highlight where the Yeti is falling behind relative to a more state of the art vehicle. (NB This isn't meant as a slight on the Yeti, but just pointing out the fairly obvious in that in 2009 when released, the Yeti was very competitive in most of its features. This isn't so true today - I know it's sort of inevitable given the life-cycle of the FL and FL economics, but Skoda could lose me as a customer because so little has changed with the FL.)

Edited by prodata
  • Like 1

I'm not one of those people who "loves" their car or gives it a name. It's serves a purpose, but I do want something I like, is good to drive, and suits my needs and in that respect I really like the Yeti.

I would say looks wise, within my group of friends, it's about 50/50 like it or hate it.

Could not agree more. Summed up my own thoughts exactly.