Insurance premium rise for accidents not your fault

MillsyVRS

It would be interesting to see these statistics. If it's non fault how are you more likely to claim again?

In my opinion it's another ploy to claw more money out of people.

This is my view too. If someone goes into you, not much you can often do about it. Someone went into the side of me on Monday and although the 3rd parties insurance have been very helpful I'm just annoyed that my insurance is now likely to go up. My mum had a small collision in a car park a few years ago (other person was at fault), and it put her insurance up slightly for 3 years and even put mine up at the time by £50 because she was a named driver on my policy!

Someone who works in insurance has said I could claim back what ever more I'm charged because of this, back to the 3rd parties insurers?

• 3 weeks later...

rear ended on the M27 earlier this year, £765 damage (not at fault) letter from Churchill a month or two later to say my premiums won't be affected and keep my NCB. This was after the dopey cow who hit me admitted liability.

It's because all insurance companies are con artists! Mine went up because I got knocked over when someone ran into my car when I was standing next to it outside my house. My insurance didn't do a thing, admiral fobbed me off to a third party company who sorted it all so I didn't even pay my excess (then claim it back as is the SOP) because admiral didn't deal with it. Even though I am plod, I can understand why people drive without it.

All of them are hooks and I don't know how they lay straight in bed at night!

• 4 weeks later...

So today I renewed my insurance, tried all the sponsers here, but unfortunately none were competitive.

Due to the accident in November with someone going into the side of me, it put my insurance premium up on a new policy by nearly £100. When asked why, the guy said it was because the insurance companies reckon that people who are in accidents regardless of fault, are more likely to claim. Although I disagree with it and wouldn't do it myself, I can start to see why people wrongly claim money for whiplash. I'm now financially worse off and will be for the next few years when I renew because of it.

It was also tempting note to disclose the information but I guessed they could probably find out at some point anyway.

rear ended on the M27 earlier this year, £765 damage (not at fault) letter from Churchill a month or two later to say my premiums won't be affected and keep my NCB. This was after the dopey cow who hit me admitted liability.

That's good, do you reckon that will change when you come to renew? Apparently around 80% of companies in the UK will charge more.

That's good, do you reckon that will change when you come to renew? Apparently around 80% of companies in the UK will charge more.

Premium with Churchill went up, but that was due to my SP30, however I kept my NCB. Just renewed with Adrian Flux on here and they beat Churchill by £175, mods and SP30 declared.

You think that's bad try this you are driving a police car stolen vehicle runs into you.

You then have to inform your own vehicle insurance company that you have been involved in a accident,but in a vehicle not insured by them. Yes you have guessed it, your own insurance goes up on renewal because you are a greater risk and if you have a car and a motorcycle they both do, good scam I it. It would be interesting to see if you could claim this loss back from the offending driver, I somehow dought it.

If there is a dispute, then the it will be renewed as if it was your fault. If the claim then goes in your favour you'll get a refund of the difference.

You'll find it almost impossible to go and quotes elsewhere, so have to renew with your current provider.

And it isn't just your own insurance which goes up. If you are a named driver on another person's car insurance, then their premium will probably go up too. I say this having had a no blame accident where I hit a deer which jumped through a hedge onto the road directly in front of my car. I had a protected NCB but the premium on my car went up and so did my wife's on renewal each year until 5 years had elapsed from the incident.

Gadgetman has the right idea but most people would rather pay extra than deal with the claim themselves.

In a no fault accident you only need to notify your insurance company (the law) you do not need to claim but you must state very clearly in writing that you are not clamming.

You then have to pursue the offender and or their insurance yourself.

If you do not state "information only - no claim" then even if your are not at fault they can say you have made a claim and put your premiums up.

Its how mobsters work.

:D

Gadgetman has the right idea but most people would rather pay extra than deal with the claim themselves.

In a no fault accident you only need to notify your insurance company (the law) you do not need to claim but you must state very clearly in writing that you are not clamming.

If you do not state "information only - no claim" then even if your are not at fault they can say you have made a claim and put your premiums up.

Its how mobsters work.

I had the same problem with home insurance.

I query how much it would cost to make a claim for a lose tile?

In the end (without making a claim) I got a local builder to fix.

Guess wot?

At renewal time the price went up!

I query why?

They said I had made a claim.

I said I only query that once on the phone!

They said Thats classed as a claim!!!?

In a no fault accident you only need to notify your insurance company (the law) you do not need to claim but you must state very clearly in writing that you are not clamm

Its how mobsters work.

I did tell them that clearly I wasn't at fault and I wasn't claiming. The lady who went into me was happy for her insurance to deal with it and that was that.

When someone went into my mum 3 years ago and she was on my policy, mine went up by £50. Absolute joke.

• 4 weeks later...

I did try calling my new insurance company and the third parties insurance company asking if I could get the extra money back, and it was pretty much an all round no. Her insurance company even said, 'sorry that's not something we do. We've already had your car fixed, and that's a service we don't have to provide"

These calls I'm getting about compensation are becoming more tempting just to cover my increased insurance premiums..

I'm pretty sure I had it on my old policy that finished end of January, and think/hope I probably have it on my new one. Which one would I ring up? And would I count as a claim that I have to declare or that would affect my no claims bonus?

Thank you for the reply!

This is something that annoys me too.

I've got five cars on an Admiral multi-car policy, one was hit by a third party.

I have video proof clearly showing that I was not in the wrong and the other person was.

Yet Admiral are "keeping it open" for 12 months from the date of the accident in case the third party tries to put a claim in.

End result I am pretty much stuck using them again as having a "fault" claim on my record means all of my cars (and there are a few...) will see a rise if I move to another insurer as they look at my claim as fault until Admiral let the 12 month period run out.

Peeved dot com.

• Like 1