DPF Issue - Your experience/ advice please

1.6TDi with 25k miles (3.5 yrs old) DPF light came on and then within about 2 miles car went into limp mode with coil light and engine management light. Phone App through OBD port brought up fault code P2463 - Soot accumulation.

Towed to dealer this morning. Dealer ran diagnostics, updated software and did a forced regen. When I collected the car I asked what level the soot had reached (don't know the proper term) thinking it must be more than 40 grams to trigger limp mode (as stated in the technical details kindly shared by littleade). Answer was 16 grams!!!!! 

I asked if this could be a software fault and why my car went into limp mode at such a low level. Was told it could have been due to a number of different issues/ sensors feeding back and triggering it.

Does this sound right???

I recall seeing another post somewhere that someone had a similarly low reading and it was discovered the car did not need a regen, but a new sensor.

I would appreciate your advice or experience with similar issues.

Thanks

I believe that now when it reaches 22g it does regenerate

Have no idea when light comes on and limp mode after.

Using vcds/vagcom you can see the amount of grams and how many KMS/hours since last regeneration

Could just be the sensor... I had one replaced at 3 years / 30k

I had limp mode, forced regen and error reset, light on in 48 hours, no limp.  Reset again and 50 mile motorway journey for good measure. limp mode.

New sensor £140
sorted.

(phew)

Hi, i drive an 2007 tdi 2.0 octy had it for nearly 3 months and no probs so far. This is a good site 'cause i had no idea of this regeneration of the DPF. Question is does my car have a DPF fitted? Only i can't find the warning lamp when ignition switched on

Hi, i drive an 2007 tdi 2.0 octy had it for nearly 3 months and no probs so far. This is a good site 'cause i had no idea of this regeneration of the DPF. Question is does my car have a DPF fitted? Only i can't find the warning lamp when ignition switched on

Which model is it?  For 2007 I believe it should be a PD engine (rather than Common Rail engine) and the only 2.0 TDI PD engines which had the DPF were the 170bhp version in the VRS and the 8v version in the Scout.

John

Ive had 3 VAG cars with DPF's an original Mk5 Golf Bluemotion 1.9 PD 105, a MK6 2.0 TDi 140 CR GT and now an Octavia vRS Blackline. Total 86k miles across all 3 cars and to date no DPF issues at all; in fact have never had the light illuminate on the dash.

Sure PD engined cars with DPFs are a weaker point as the technology was bolted on and never really designed to work with the fuel system properly, CR cars are much more forgiving.

I think providing you take them on a decent run to get them up to temp regularly enough and give them a bit of stick now and again you'd be unlucky to experience major issues on a CR car; though sensors are known to fail.

I keep hearing this "give it a bit of stick now and again" as a way of avoiding DPF problems.  Surely the regen is triggered when a pre-determined amount of carbon is being held in the DPF; not just because the car happens to running with the conditions needed for a successful regen.  Or am I wrong?

Here you go. The DPF info is towards the end and it exlains the various regen stages

http://www.natef.org/NATEF/media/NATEFMedia/VW%20Files/2-0-TDI-SSP.pdf

Thanks for that.  That linked document shows that my assumption that regen only took place when a certain level of carbon is reached is incorrect.  It would seem that my weekly 30 mile each way on a fast A road and fortnightly 100 mile each way dual-carriageway/motorway journey are enough for Passive Regeneration to prevent me having any DPF problems.  In 5 months and 5K miles I have only once seen signs of an Active Regen (raised tick-over and fan continuing to run after engine switched off) so I can only assume that the Passive Regen is doing the job..

Thanks very much for that Nick, it does start with BKD. So that's it then .It definately does not have an DPF.

No problem. The 2.0 BKD engine was never fitted with a DPF in any of the VAG range, so if yours has a BKD engine you can be certain there's no DPF.

• Like 1

is that the 140? The scout has a 140 with dpf

Different engine code, my 4x4 has a BMM.

Going back to the OP's question about the dpf, the soot level is reported as a % whilst the ash level is in grams. So 40% soot may trigger a regen rather than 40g.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Hi I was looking at this after the Exhaust Inspection light on my MK2 2L Diesel Elegance popped on, more recently I discovered my BKD motor doesn't have a DPF woopie! But before I realised this I found a (what looks like a good article on DPF's)

here it is if anyone is interested

http://www.oilem.com/dpf-cleaners-and-dpf-cleaning/