Octavia mk1 candles for headlights

Thought the headlights on my Octavia were crap so I popped into Halfrauds to get some new bulbs

Quickly fitted them myself (saving 2.99 fitting!) only to find they are just as bad as the old ones

Very miffed since they promised a huge improvement but delivered FA.

Don't know what to do now apart from go for some 110w illegal bulbs

• Like 1

Take it from me (a keen amateur automotive electrician) - putting higher-wattage bulbs (like 100w) into a headlamp unit and wiring harness designed for the current supply for 60w bulbs, would be at best pointless (as the 100w bulbs just cannot draw the required current to work properly, through the standard cabling) and at worst result in a fire / meltdown of some of your underbonnet wiring loom, and maybe even your fusebox.

You have three options:

1) Osram Nightbreaker bulbs (or Philips equivalents). I have the Osrams, and there is a hugely noticeable difference. Enough for me that after realising, like you, that the standard headlamps were crap - I was happy with the Osram upgrade to the extent that I have no plans to bother attempting to upgrade further.

2) If you MUST try to fit 100w bulbs (which please note, are illegal to use on a road under construction and use regulations) then at the very least you MUST fabricate a separate wiring loom to supply them with the current necessary, without overloading the standard cabling. So basically, you will need to use two 30-amp relays (one for dip, one for high) with the correct amperage cabling to supply the high-current side of your new wiring loom, with a feed and earth direct from the battery (or at least one of the primary power-distribution points).

3) Get an aftermarket Bi-Xenon HID kit with an output of 6000k and burners specifically designed to be used in reflector headlamp units.

HTH

Nightbreaker+ (or Phillips equivalent) are at least as good as 100W bulbs, and are legal.

@Ray Luxury-Yacht - Am I reading the Haynes wiring diagram correctly? There don't appear to be any relays in the headlight circuit if I am.

What also makes a huge difference is brand new light units. I had Philips Extreme Vision in my old lamps which were a massive upgrade. When I smashed the front end recently (and subsequently the headlights too) the new lights were so much better it was over a month before I even bothered putting my Philips bulbs back in.

Well worthwhile, imo.

• Like 1

Aftermarket hid kits are also illegal unless you have self leveling, projector style headlights and light washers iirc.

Not anymore apparently nitro.

I think ray luxury was going a tiny bit overkill in his suggestions

Where's the can of worms picture when you need it 

Osram NightBreaker Plus are excellent, and cheaper than the Philips ones.

also, i read recently that the life expectancy on the Philips aint that great...

might be a little better than the Osrams for light, but burn out quicker...

I contemplated the HiD's a few times, but sticking with the Nightbreakers for now.

+1 for not seeing the immovable object coming, the surprise element is gone otherwise...

I thought the standard lights wernt that bad, even after owning a car with xenon's which were bloody tempermental. I put halfrauds ultra brilliane IIRC and theyre great. Got them on BOGOF too.

try mg zs lights theyre shocking!

Edited by Andy ap

Well that's easy enough, just make sure the car is facing the wrong way when you lose it.

If you're gonna do it, do it good! :D

lol that sounds like experience talking?

• Like 1

Anyone know why the full beam switched stalk forward, seems to be different to the full beam when you pull the stalk towards you? it seems to put more light in front of the car this way..