What double din hu's?...

SNH

I refer to a previous post I made.. Steer clear of EONON, they may look tempting but the quality is apparently very bad and they break quite quickly.. I would be happy to be proved wrong,  i would consider switching for the ability to run Android Torque easily on one of these... Shame the OBD stuff on the ANS isnt fully functional yet or that it cannot run 3rd party apps and talk to a bluetooth OBD as I have one of those already!!! 

I would still stick with the ANS.. I upgraded mine to the latest firmware and seems to be much better and a little faster too..

Edited by Dread1977

Yep, easy to update now ive done it a few times, worrying at first as i had never done it...

I would possibly speak to Sandy (DKN) on the VWwatercooled forum and order from him, he has a better line of comms with Audiosources.. also you know you would be getting the DNS810 with the newer firmware.. 

or go for the Ebay one and make sure its got the M140 firmware, once again its all on the VW forum last few pages

As I say they were really prompt replying to me. I've not ordered one yet as we're now thinking of replacing the wife's corsa for a fabia monte carlo so might put the money towards that.

Had a reply back from the eBay seller:

HI SImon, our technical team have stated, the latest firmware for the ANS is "20130806". This is the code given direct to us by AUdiosources. We get the units in from them when needed to ensure, we get the latest firmware on the market.

Best wishes

Rob

- iceboxauto

• 3 months later...

I have just bought one of the ANS 810 units from iceautobox on eBay, does anyone know which trim surround you need for the dash for it? I currently have the stream one but that's the wrong shape isn't it?

I have just bought one of the ANS 810 units from iceautobox on eBay, does anyone know which trim surround you need for the dash for it? I currently have the stream one but that's the wrong shape isn't it?

I cant remember off the top of my head which one it is, also depends if you have dual zone climate or standard aircon.. but if you go to a local skoda dealer and ask them for the surround for your car "with an RNS510" fitted they should be able to work out what you need based on your registration etc.. if memory serves i paid £19 quid for mine in silver.. ill get the part number tonight when i get home but just bear in mind i have dual climate..

and if anyone is interested who has an ANS810 i can tell you exactly what software to use for downloading videos off youtube and converting them to run on the ANS perfectly.. I have mostly music videos playing on mine so you get the music and video :-)

I cant remember off the top of my head which one it is, also depends if you have dual zone climate or standard aircon.. but if you go to a local skoda dealer and ask them for the surround for your car "with an RNS510" fitted they should be able to work out what you need based on your registration etc.. if memory serves i paid £19 quid for mine in silver.. ill get the part number tonight when i get home but just bear in mind i have dual climate..

That's great thank you, i also have dual climate so would be the same

Hi, sorry i took so long.. the part number I have is 1Z0 858 069R 2AU

in silver

No worries, that's brilliant cheers for doing that, I will get one ordered for when the headunit arrives

I have been using an ANS-620 since last year.

Internally, its identical to the ANS-510 and ANS-810, but as it is the same shape as my old OEM Stream unit, It doesn't require a new Colombus-shaped surround (which were circa £50+, when I looked).

I think the screen is 6.5", same as the ANS-510 and half an inch smaller than the ANS-810, but it is plenty big enough, in my book.

With a new pair of front component tweeters fitted, the sound is improved 1000% from OEM.

It just flags a VCDS CANBUS/Radio error, which doesn't affect the operation of anything really.

• 1 month later...

Old thread i know, but just bought and fitted an ANS620 to my pre fl. Bought through ebay from iceboxauto and I think its great. the parking display works fine, and it even shows which doors are open now whereas the old stream didn't. Not wired in the supplied reversing camera yet or the ipod & usb leads into the glove box, but so far so good.

I know that the purists will say "Thats not OEM!" and yes i have lost the display for climate control, and can no longer use the disc changer in the boot. But with Bluetooth, nav, usb connectivity memory card slots, 2 year warranty and all the rest, including delivery for less than £279.What more could anyone want. I didn't even need to change the surround from my original set up, as this is the same dimensions exactly.

I find these days that frequently I am unimpressed with new things, however, this time my expectations have been surpassed.

The only drawback is the voice of the sat nav announcements. As soon as I discover how to change it, I will

• 9 months later...

Old thread i know, but just bought and fitted an ANS620 to my pre fl. Bought through ebay from iceboxauto and I think its great. the parking display works fine, and it even shows which doors are open now whereas the old stream didn't. Not wired in the supplied reversing camera yet or the ipod & usb leads into the glove box, but so far so good.

I know that the purists will say "Thats not OEM!" and yes i have lost the display for climate control, and can no longer use the disc changer in the boot. But with Bluetooth, nav, usb connectivity memory card slots, 2 year warranty and all the rest, including delivery for less than £279.What more could anyone want. I didn't even need to change the surround from my original set up, as this is the same dimensions exactly.

I find these days that frequently I am unimpressed with new things, however, this time my expectations have been surpassed.

The only drawback is the voice of the sat nav announcements. As soon as I discover how to change it, I will

I've just fitted the AS620 (slightly updated version of ANS620) and it looks and works great.  Did you manage to find any internet links/forums explaining about changing voices or any other possible tweaks (e.g. installing other software) ?

Gents the voice of the satnav is easy to change assuming you have Igo Primo.. would suggest signing up to this website (http://www.navitotal.com/) as all the info you need is there.. 

In relation to fitting the Ipod and USB lead i would say the iPod isn't worth it as its too clunky to use and doesn't catalog well.. however adding the USB you may as well add it at the same time... Best to remove the glovebox for access and what i did was pay halfords a visit, purchased some different sized rubber grommets, bored a hole in the glovebox and used the grommet to make it look nicer.. then stuck an 8gb usb stick in with a whole heap of music videos!!! and MP3

As for your climate, it will display it but you need the newer climate controls for this to work, I swapped mine out and the display worked, but you lose functionality for air recirc etc so decided not to bother...

would also mention having a good read of this thread, I know its for the ANS810 but the firmware etc is the same on all models of ANS units...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/ans-810-ans-510-proper-rns-510-alternative-73179.html

Check firmware version too, latest is M140

Edited by Dread1977

I have been using an ANS-620 since last year.

Internally, its identical to the ANS-510 and ANS-810, but as it is the same shape as my old OEM Stream unit, It doesn't require a new Colombus-shaped surround (which were circa £50+, when I looked).

I think the screen is 6.5", same as the ANS-510 and half an inch smaller than the ANS-810, but it is plenty big enough, in my book.

With a new pair of front component tweeters fitted, the sound is improved 1000% from OEM.

It just flags a VCDS CANBUS/Radio error, which doesn't affect the operation of anything really.

Just seen your fairly old post now... can you share what tweeters have you fitted?

Gents the voice of the satnav is easy to change assuming you have Igo Primo.. would suggest signing up to this website (http://www.navitotal.com/) as all the info you need is there.. 

In relation to fitting the Ipod and USB lead i would say the iPod isn't worth it as its too clunky to use and doesn't catalog well.. however adding the USB you may as well add it at the same time... Best to remove the glovebox for access and what i did was pay halfords a visit, purchased some different sized rubber grommets, bored a hole in the glovebox and used the grommet to make it look nicer.. then stuck an 8gb usb stick in with a whole heap of music videos!!! and MP3

As for your climate, it will display it but you need the newer climate controls for this to work, I swapped mine out and the display worked, but you lose functionality for air recirc etc so decided not to bother...

would also mention having a good read of this thread, I know its for the ANS810 but the firmware etc is the same on all models of ANS units...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/ans-810-ans-510-proper-rns-510-alternative-73179.html

Check firmware version too, latest is M140

Thanks Dread,

I've also joined the forums at:

http://www.gpspower.net/igo-gps-system.html

As well as guides, there are many useful downloads. :sun:

Modification required, but nothing difficult.

Old tweeters need removing from their housings, then the new ones bonded in their place. Crossovers and wiring connected, refit and away you go.

Well worth it.

Hi Guys

Just picked up a Pre-FL Octavia vRS with a stream head unit, manual AC and no maxidot (yes, poverty spec!)

I want to replace it with something more 2015, but am torn with what to do. My last car had built in bluetooth and ipod functionality - most of my listening was bluetooth streaming from my iphone (internet radio and podcasts), with the ipod in the glovebox being used occasionally.

The AS620 looks decent in the dash but the interface and ipod integration look really clunky. I'm not going to benefit from much of the canbus integration, except maybe the door open display (meh).

I like the idea of android so I can put apps on it - running spotify etc on the unit itself would be a lot nicer than having to skip tracks on the phone itself etc. I found this which looks decent but cant find any opinions on it - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTORADIO-GPS-NAVI-BT-IPOD-DVD-RADIO-ANDROID-4-0-Player-SKODA-OCTAVIA-I005-/261502577329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3ce2c4aab1 - also, to run the apps it relies on a wifi hotspot or 3G dongle. I can tether to my phone but that would drain the battery pretty quickly.

Finally, the option I'm leaning towards is a standard double din HU - namely this one with Apple Carplay - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/apple-carplay/pioneer-sph-da120-apple-carplay-compatible-with-large-6-2-inch-capacitive-touch-screen-gps-bluetooth-android-iphone-and-mirrorlink-also-supports-appradio-mode - this means I can have all the apps I use on the head unit itself. I've read carplay is a bit buggy at times but hopefully will improve. The downside is it's the most expensive option by the time you include the kit and adapter and it doesnt look as good in the dash.

Any pointers or opinions?

Finally, the option I'm leaning towards is a standard double din HU - namely this one with Apple Carplay - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/apple-carplay/pioneer-sph-da120-apple-carplay-compatible-with-large-6-2-inch-capacitive-touch-screen-gps-bluetooth-android-iphone-and-mirrorlink-also-supports-appradio-mode - this means I can have all the apps I use on the head unit itself. I've read carplay is a bit buggy at times but hopefully will improve. The downside is it's the most expensive option by the time you include the kit and adapter and it doesnt look as good in the dash.

I've got a SPH-DA120 in mine.. can answer any questions you might have :-)