Poor Radio Reception?

scaryshark

OK, no fault found :(

They claimed it wasn't tuned in properly (never mind that it's RDS and automatically tunes to the strongest signal anyway). Of course, as soon as I left the dealer it started to fade and crackle again.

Unfortunately, the Up they gave me as a courtesy car had exactly the same reception problems.

I think this is poor issue on most Skoda's (and by the sounds of it possibly all VAG cars). It appears to be the type of aerial with the amplifier in the base.

My dad has an Octavia and his isn't great and in my Fabia its not good either. :(

I would not accept the claim that it is a characteristic of the vehicle, as my reception was very good to begin with and deteriorated in one step, so something that was working properly is no longer working.

Have any of you got a cigarette lighter USB charger inserted ? Can't remember the thread but a user on here had one and when in use it would interfere with the radio reception, pull it out and it was much better ?

You know, this is a real issue. I remember buying a new usb charger from the Apple Store the same day as taking delivery of my new smart car. Popped the charger in at the showroom and driving home was very disappointed at the poor radio reception. Was about to turn round and drive 50 miles back to the dealership when, for some reason, I pulled out the charger and radio reception was perfect. Other chargers haven't caused a problem, just that one - and it was a good brand, Griffin I believe.

• Like 1

You know, this is a real issue. I remember buying a new usb charger from the Apple Store the same day as taking delivery of my new smart car. Popped the charger in at the showroom and driving home was very disappointed at the poor radio reception. Was about to turn round and drive 50 miles back to the dealership when, for some reason, I pulled out the charger and radio reception was perfect. Other chargers haven't caused a problem, just that one - and it was a good brand, Griffin I believe.

The one in our car is Griffin strangely enough ?

• 2 weeks later...

I too have had poor reception at times so I checked my aerial yesterday and found a small piece of plastic swarf at the bottom of the screw thread which stopped it being tightened fully. Today the radio was fine in the areas where I was getting crackle before.

It could just be that the clearer weather but it was a big improvement.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've booked my CitiGo back into the dealer.  The service chap was skeptical, especially of opinions shared on a forum, but they are going to keep it for two days to see if they can reproduce the error... will let you know how it goes!

• Like 1

My Citigo (from May this year) has been suffering from bad reception since new. Had it at the dealer after two weeks, but they claimed everything was normal. Normally I handwash the car once a week, but due to vacation it was two weeks since the last wash, when I cleaned it in the weekend. When I washed it, I found, that the antenna has cracked within these two weeks (!). It´s cracked from the base of the aerial and 10-12 cm. up! It´s split open, so you kan see the metal "spring" inside! The car is going in for service in a few weeks, so hope it´s replaced under warranty - maybe this explains the poor reception. The aerial has not been removed more than one time (to add a little copper grease to avoid it from seezing), since the car is only hand washed - so I´m sure, it´s not due to "external damage".

• 3 weeks later...

So, car is back from the dealer, and the news is... fixed under warranty. New base amplifier unit fitted, now excellent reception everywhere. Hurrah!

Had the wife's Citigo in for its 2nd year service today and mentioned the poor radio reception, the car is now booked in to go back for a Aeriel base unit, hope that does the job!

New antenna fitted. Still poor reception. Will suggest a new aerial base to dealer.

There's nothing to go wrong with the antenna so the dealer should have known better! However, the aerial base includes an amplifier that can and does go wrong and so should have been the first item replaced. 

The part is the same on my Yeti as well as my wife's Seat Mii and both are showing signs of trouble. I think water gets into the base after which the only option is to replace it.

Fred

There's nothing to go wrong with the antenna so the dealer should have known better! However, the aerial base includes an amplifier that can and does go wrong and so should have been the first item replaced. 

The part is the same on my Yeti as well as my wife's Seat Mii and both are showing signs of trouble. I think water gets into the base after which the only option is to replace it.

Fred

Agreed. Just need to convince dealer.

Radio reception has deteriorated again and is now worse than ever (despite having the base unit replaced by the dealer).  Interestingly, when I went to book it back in for yet another repair (third time lucky?) the dealer said, "really, we've had several in and replacing the base unit has fixed the problem every time"... so clearly it's a common problem.

• 2 weeks later...

So, car is back from the dealer, and the news is... fixed under warranty. New base amplifier unit fitted, now excellent reception everywhere.  Hurrah!

Just a few weeks later... radio reception is dreadful again - in fact, the radio is unusable most of the time.  So it's been back into the dealer, this time for two days - they have replaced the base unit (again) and the cable which connects the radio to the aerial... this required them basically dismantling the back half of the car - removing the sunroof, rear seats, boot fittings!  Anyway the news is that now the reception is superb again.  Hopefully that's fixed it for good...

Fred

An addendum and possible correction to my previous post! The antenna CAN go wrong.

Inside the moulding the actual aerial element is a helical winding and this can suffer a break. Symptoms on mine is that the radio starts crackling often getting worse over bumpy surfaces.

Stop the car and leave the radio running then tap the antenna, crackle gets worse. Remove the antenna (just unscrews) give it a good bang against your thigh and replace. In my case the problem goes away but comes back after a few days, I suspect there is a poor connection inside the antenna which is beaten into temporary submission by this treatment. 

Replacement antenna is next move for me but I think GaSelle has already had this done.

Fred

• 3 weeks later...

Have an ongoing issue with my Citigo PID and radio -- the PID allows me to make calls but 90% of the time does not allow me to pick up incoming calls (lost count of how many I've missed!) The answer call and hang up logos appear on screen but when I touch the answer logo I lose the call. the radio reception is intermittenly appalling. Has been to dealer countless times -- aerail base replaced twice, aerial mast replaced once -- even though i have taken video of the appalling reception of radio 2 and local radio all across the West Midlands the dealer says they can't find a fault. I emailed the video clips to Skoda Cust Services - they passed them to Technical at Milton Keynes -- Technical say no fault -- it's poor signal geographically -- won't even consider substituting the radio -- won't be having another Skoda -- extremely disappointing customer and dealer service. had 3 Skoda -- won't be a 4th! anyone else had radio issues like this?