Anyone using Toyo T1R's on their VRS?

I'll stand up against the tide: the Dunlops are fine. :happy:  Not as cheap as some of the other tyres, but they grip well both in wet and dry, which is all I ask for. Then again, I don't go to the track, so that might require a different kind of tyre.

But crucially, do they cause your car to spear off the road wildly into ditches?

And you work for.............

Does the discount from your parts department extend to fellow Yorkshire Briskodians? :)

Skoda :)  

And unfortunately it doesn't, which is abit of a Bummer!!

<<But crucially, do they cause your car to spear off the road wildly into ditches?>>

No, they fail on that score. :rofl:  The only steering issue I get is a slight tugging on the wheel on uneven surfaces under heavy throttle, but I believe that's more down to torque steer and/or the XDS doing its thing.

Edited by OzFabia
  • Like 1

do you like the massively cheaper maxxis Z1's better?

tbh with the type of driving I do these days, typically motorway journeys I'm not noticing any difference... I haven't driven the same roads that we did last year to give a real comparison... Having said that, the fact they are half the price and not much difference in normal conditions you will struggle to argue against the Maxxis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm using Kumho Ecsta on my Yeti and had them on the Octavia before that. They seemed like a reasonable tyre for the price - £70 each in vRS fabia size on blackcircles.

Used to run Toyo Proxes on my impreza as did quite a few others and they were great but didn't last that long.

I also tried the kuhmo KU39's on the vRS, they were fine in the rain, but in the dry they offered 50% of the grip the previous (maxxis Z1;s) did..... ruined the feel of the car, so again, I took 'em off and sold them on e-bay...

my garage swore by them! TBH I think the mark II fabia vRS is VERY finicky about its tyres, take the dunlops, if you read tyre reviews, all the heavy car drivers (jags large BMW's ect) say they are fine, all the hatchback drivers say never again... 

I think if you can't stretch to £100 a corner tyres, a VRS probably isn't the car for you. That is absolute peanuts for a decent tyre. 

Maybe a £1500 2002 Focus would be better?

2002 focus ST170 yeah??   No!!

I don't think that spending £100 on a tyre is an issue for the vast majority of vRS owners, including myself.

My question was how do the stated tyres do on a vRS and has anyone used them on a vRS, having previously used them on other vehicles. but anyway each to there own.

Edited by vRS-Mati

I think if you can't stretch to £100 a corner tyres, a VRS probably isn't the car for you. That is absolute peanuts for a decent tyre.

Maybe a £1500 2002 Focus would be better?

What a stupid comment.

No matter what car you drive, you are always going to look for the best deal.

And anyway, us MK2 VRS boys spend all our money on oil!!

;-)

• Like 3

I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned Uniroyal.

The Rainsport 2's were an excellent tyre in the wet and dry, however they are now discontinued. In the last month or so Rainsport 3's have come out and seam to get quite good reviews from people. They will also be simular priced to the Toyos.  Being so new there are no magazine tests for them.

What a stupid comment. No matter what car you drive, you are always going to look for the best deal. And anyway, us MK2 VRS boys spend all our money on oil!! ;-)

Not at all. The F1 AS2 will be several car lengths better than the T1R in the wet braking performance. I'll let your imagination work out why that is important.

The best deal is the best tyre. Cars are luxury items, and you should always buy one that you can afford to maintain correctly. Much like I wouldn't use 'Asda Value' oil in my car, I wouldn't even use budget tyres either. This is the only thing that gives you contact with the road for goodness sake.

The F1 AS2 is by far the best tyre out there at the moment that isn't a more focused track tyre, so why would you risk something less than that if it is available in your cars size, which it is for the vRS ?

Putting a budget tyre on a car thats worth 8k+ is madness, akin to spending 15k on swapping to a brand new car because the road tax is £35 quid. 

Anyway, back on topic.

The Rainsport 3's made by Uniroyal would be interesting, I've got no idea what tests they have been involved in. Uniroyal is 'basically' cheap'er' Continental, so expect comparable/slightly down on Continental Sport Contact 5's I'd imagine. 

Let's no forget that directional tyres have been blamed,rightly or wrongly, for the pull to the left issue.

So when I renew I'll be going for an assymetric tyre rather than a directional one.

lets not forget cost doesn't MEAN a better tyre conanius, the expensive dunlops SP sportmaxx are (generally, Damo ;) ) agreed to be very poor on the fabia II vRS and are yet quite expensive tyres.... they were so poor on my new vRS, that I thought there was was something seriously wrong with the car, my previous fabia II vRS I had run for 50k, came with OE contis, I settled after some experimentaion (kumho ect) on the maxxis, as they suited the car so well... I was using them on my old 50k vrs when it was traded in , I kept them and traded it in on its old winter tyres and wheels and kept the nice black alloys and maxxis tyres...

the new vRS had eibachs fitted on delivery,and I was expecting a better handling car, it came with dunlops (I had read the reviews and was worried) ... and after 1,000 miles to give them a chance to bed in , I was seriously considering taking the new car back to the dealers for investigation as to why the handling was SO bad in comparison to my old car (or even to have my old car back! I was so upset with the way the new one drove....) after they desintegrated at "how fast" I put my old wheels back on with the maxxis tyres fitted, and my car was transformed.... it was suddenly a joy to drive! the horrendous washout understeer dissapeared! It put a smile on my face again! it surpassed my old car for the first time!

dunlop sp sportmaxx circa £110 each maxxis Z1, circa £62 each.... cost is NO garuntee of quality.

Edited by sharkrider
  • Like 2

I paid 80 quid per corner for my Rainsport 2s - didn't like the Dunlops that came with the car and they're comfortably over a ton a pop. I don't skimp on things - the last four cars I've owned have been well looked after.

• Like 1

I skimp on lots and do use Asda Oil if it is to the correct grade and on a clearance.

If not the correct Grade then obviously it would not be equal to the more Expensive Branded stuff.

I also paid to replace Dunlop Sport Maxx with Dunlop Sport Maxx because i liked them in the Summer.

Still do, and will use them again.

Currently have on £50 Goodride tyres because i liked them in the summer.

Correct load/speed rating and work well for the car they are on, a vRS.

It comes down to what suits the driver really and what works on different cars and weather conditions.

Getting a good price does not always mean you are skimping.

Some cheap or really cheap stuff is sometimes still over priced and should be avoided..

george

• Like 1