Just seen rapid spaceback

It's very not A3 on the inside, but side on in red.. yes it's a bit of a double take at first

The latter red pictures however and I'm less convinced, although a bit more like the last A3 perhaps?

FWIW, I think the comments about 17" alloys are mad.

It's a cheap car designed for family life, and the cost of a 16" tyre is a lot lower than a 17".

That plus easier to not scrape alloys or knacker one in a pothole calling itself a road.

Since most buyers want cheap, you could make the 17" an option, but certainly not standard. Maybe make that along with a higher power 1.4TSI (150bhp anyone)

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 1

Try a normal 16" tyre, such as 205/55/R16.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p=Continental-PremiumContact-5-205_55-R16-91V&details=Ordern&typ=R-216009&cart_id=37918614.110.6502&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Herst=Continental&Quer=55&Felge=16&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=So&m_s=3&x_tyre_for=PKWSo&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW

The two examples above have £25 between them, however compared to the 17" you show, the 16" 205/55/R16 allows a person to put 4 new tyres on for the cost of 2 17" ones.

Spaceback in red with bigger alloys?

This dropped though my letterbox today

Now it looks like an Audi A3 Sportback, with the wheels that fit the arches

and at a what looks like better height.

I got an invite to go drive one as well but I'll stick to my car I think.

I think it's good that Skoda are starting to branch out with their ideas. They're not quite there, but I think the Spaceback is a step in the right direction.

Fit bigger wheels and lower it and it will look 100% better  :rock:

I think lowering it has the most dramatic effect, I prefer a bigger tyre wall myself, it's a little less likely to wreck the alloy :)

One day I might look in to getting some Eibach's fitted on mine.

Maybe.

When I'm more willing to pay for what the insurance industry will undoubtedly have to say about it  :wonder:

looks very a3 like when I saw one in the dealers to me too - and I mean that in a good way.

was red with 17 or 18 inch alloys on. interior looked great and pretty upmarket too.

very nice looking and well proportioned car, in my brief encounter.

I think it's good that Skoda are starting to branch out with their ideas. They're not quite there, but I think the Spaceback is a step in the right direction.

Fit bigger wheels and lower it and it will look 100% better  :rock:

I very much agree. 

Skoda do their own lowering kit for the Rapid / Spaceback and then use 17 x 7J wheels.  I've seen the result and it looks absolutely stunning.

Guy

They now do lowering springs??

News to me - eibach do pro springs which they would not fit as lowered too much.

I have the pro ones and they lower 30mm all round - any pics of the rapid/spaceback lowered or is it photoshop trickery? :)

There is a red on in wolves skoda

They have lowering springs and wheels waiting to go on it.

Was not impressed with the rear boot trim, looks basic (inside I mean)

Been and viewed it today, quite disappointed really especially as without the styling pack it resembled a pensioner special :( surrounded by a sea of beige

Edited by sparks03

I think lowering it has the most dramatic effect, I prefer a bigger tyre wall myself, it's a little less likely to wreck the alloy :)

One day I might look in to getting some Eibach's fitted on mine.

Maybe.

When I'm more willing to pay for what the insurance industry will undoubtedly have to say about it  :wonder:

Spaceback will be seen in the showrooms soon (some are already fitted, Simpsons Skoda this weekend) with Eibach/Skoda spring kit fitted and 17inch wheels...

They now do lowering springs??

News to me - eibach do pro springs which they would not fit as lowered too much.

I have the pro ones and they lower 30mm all round - any pics of the rapid/spaceback lowered or is it photoshop trickery? :)

Yup; they do.

Part no ZGB5JA071676 for the Skoda lowering kit @ £139.17 rrp.  I believe dealers have a promotion to be able to fit them for £200 all in.

The 17" 5 x twin spoke black / silver wheels, as seen in the picture on Skoda UK's website home page (lowered), are part no 5JA071497JX2.

Guy

£200 all in??

The springs I have are £199 and fitting and alignment has got to be £150 ish.

What do they lower the car by? My ones are 30mm all round - guess they'd be less as covered by warranty.

I sat in a Spaceback Elegance today.  Much nicer inside than the new Octavia, although this one was specced up to the eyeballs and cost nearly £20k.  The sports seats make a big difference but they don't do them in ivory :heartbreak:

What Car? magazine hates the Spaceback, which probably means it's good.

I'm torn between a Spaceback Elegance and an Octavia SE (either with 1.2 TSI 105PS).  The Spaceback is a much better size for me and around £1500 cheaper given that (unusually for a medium size car) it looks best in solid red, whereas the Octavia needs a metallic colour.  The Octavia is flawless but is a bit of a barge when you have to turn it round in a tight road every morning or evening.

It's about time Skoda did a proper Golf-sized car, and I commend them for it.

Edited by rogerzilla
  • Like 1