What songs do you class as Epic? (eg for testing a hi-fi or for fun)

fabdavrav

Couldn't find a similar thread, so here goes.........

I have a list of songs/tracks with I consider to be real tests of a hi-fi, most are tunes that if no-one else is in the house I turn the volume right up & sit in the sweet spot between the speakers.

I know a lot depends on the type of music e.g. classical, jazz, rock, pop, electronic

My list used to have Massive Attack/Mezzanine album, Harry James, Eagles/Seven Bridges Road, Joi/The Blessing, Antonio Forcione/Snow, etc. etc. about 30 very good songs with varied bass, sonic staging etc.

It's just that I recently got a CD for a particular track which I have as mp3(120) & found another killer track on this album!

Tron Legacy R3C0NF1GUR3D.........this is the OST by Daft Punk but remixed by other electronic musicians, got it for Derezzed remixed by The Glitch Mob"  which is superb......

But have found this track...."Rinzler" remixed by Kaskade........ :o ..............electronica staging , killer bass beats, I swear the house was moving......... :D

• Like 1

One of the first songs I always put on a new stereo first is Nothing else matters by Metallica, has to be the live version with the full orchestra though, usually closely followed by Ghosts 'n' Stuff by Deadmau5. 

Korn's version of One performed live at the Metallica Tribute Gig fantastic Song and an absolutley cracking cover, gives you a Feel for the quality of your new Sound System.

I would say Pink Floyd, Another Brick in the Wall is better. The dynamic range is greater.

and that too. anything by pink floyd will do for testing stereo's because of all the spatial effects/ double tracking/ panned effect etc

• Like 2

"Massive Attack/Mezzanine album", ooh that's one for dark days. but epic bass yes.

I know a few Prodigy tracks that would work, "Poison" and "Their Law" live are something else. I can still remember the ground shaking from a festival. "Spitfire" is a good track from a weak album for testing. Nearly blew my speakers the first time I heard it.

• Like 2

A thread after my own heart! :)

Where do I start? 

The Sheffield Drum Record/CD. (Jim Keltner+Ron Tutt)

Thelma Houston - I've got the music in me (Sheffield lab-Pressure cooker)

Roger Waters - Amused to death.

Alan Parsons - Tales of Mystery and Imagination.

Mussorgsky - "Night on Bald Mountain" [Mobile fidelity Gold Ultradisc] 

..and for testing bass-sub bass etc there's some fun to be had playing Power Supply -Bass Boom Bottom and Bass Mekanik - Max KillaHertz.

Could go on and on  :rofl: 

• Like 1

Wish you were here pink floyd. Some female vocal stuff e.g. Celene Dion, Maria Carey, 21 Adele, emili sande our version of events. Love over gold dire straits and some seal stuff should do it.

I have to agree with DSOTM. I used it when choosing which Mini Hifi to buy at Richer Sounds. It was mostly the first track from the album. For vocal quality I used Freddie Mercury on Queen's Greatest Hits 2. :rock:

I think the most challenging thing to a Hifi, would be to make Bjork sound like she is actually singing and not at a high pitched screech! I still haven't found a Hifi that does!

One of the first songs I always put on a new stereo first is......... followed by Ghosts 'n' Stuff by Deadmau5. 

Great track also on my list!!

"Massive Attack/Mezzanine album", ooh that's one for dark days. but epic bass yes.

I know a few Prodigy tracks that would work, "Poison" and "Their Law" live are something else.

Both great bands have first three M,A. albums, & Prodigy .........how about Leftfield "Rhythm & Stealth"???.

A thread after my own heart! :)

Where do I start? 

The Sheffield Drum Record/CD. (Jim Keltner+Ron Tutt)

..and for testing bass-sub bass etc there's some fun to be had playing Power Supply -Bass Boom Bottom and Bass Mekanik - Max KillaHertz.

Could go on and on  :rofl: 

I have a Sheffield labs album "drive" Harry James & his big band playing Sanford & son is amazing!!! As for Max killahertz .....a friend at collage who had money was into SPL hifi competitions and used this stuff...........sub bass was ...so that's not an earthquake........& why has the windscreen got a crack in it???

Try Birdland by Weather Report,Jaco Pastorius Ono bass!

Again pretty good ....ever heard Acoustic Manias version??

I have a Sheffield labs album "drive" Harry James & his big band playing Sanford & son is amazing!!! As for Max killahertz .....a friend at collage who had money was into SPL hifi competitions and used this stuff...........sub bass was ...so that's not an earthquake........& why has the windscreen got a crack in it???

Quality!  I did a bit of regional sound/SPL judging in the late 80's early 90's and used a selection of  IASCA/Mobile fidelity/Sheffield labs/opus recordings as well as conventional tracks to evaluate in-car systems. Think the first national heat was at Bristol in 88/89 and it was a great time for audio fans as Tape was being replaced by CD unless you could afford a Nakamichi deck. 

Bass boom bottom cd/tape would often destroy the voice coils of many a sub bass as it was designed to test most drive units to their limit and beyond. Cracked windscreens/sunroof popping out were not uncommon. Insane but entertaining. :thumbup: