replacement tyres Fabia 2 VRS

garyallen

Has anyone got a recommendation for replacement tyres on my Fabia 2 VRS DSG?  Current tyres give quite a bit of road noise although the low profile (205/40/17) does not help. Toyo Proxes TR1 seem popular but they are not a tyre I have had experience with.

Got the same tyres on my Monte courtesy of Skoda UK, not only has it cured the pull but they seem like a better all round tyre compared to the Dunlops fitted as standard.

The ride is better, it doesn't seem as harsh or crashy as before so I can defo recommend the P Zero's, don't know what they will be like with the extra power and torque of the vRS although they are designed specifically for performance cars so should be good as pistolpete559 says.

Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 2's, though having said that I've driven a mk2 with them on only a mk1 but they pinned the front end into the tarmac a treat!!! A guy at work also put a set on his golf gt tdi and he loves them, also a customer of mine put a set on his mk1 LE vrs after complaining about the way the car drove in general, it had a set of budgets on it I'd never heard of, he wanted me to drive it to get my thoughts, I said its a was of time unless you put some proppa rubber on it. Eventually he did and I didn't need to drive it to give my opinion, he turned up at my workshop grinning from ear to ear and said "wish I'd done that 18 months ago" Horse to water an all that, will put a set on my mk2 asap when i get it. They will be a safe bet in MO.

You didn't spell out what tyre you are currently running?

Edited by wrightcnc2009

I would not get (buy) the Pirelli Zero Nero for the vRS, they are OK but nothing Special.

Physically the 205/40 R 17 Pirelli are slightly bigger next to the Dunlop Sport Maxx 205/40 R 17 when both tyres are new.

Less tread on the road surface when at the same pressures, which is why they actually handle and feel a bit different from the Dunlop or Continentals.

(even when the number are they same for the tyres.)

The sidewall is taller, and of a different structure.

I have on 215/40 R 17 tyres that are the same size as the 205 Pirelli.

(maybe worth looking at fitting tyres in 215/40 R 17)

The P Zero Nero are not great in the wet or cold/snow IMO, Good enough in summer, but there are better out there at similar prices.

I would not recommend them as an all season tyre.

(but i am one of the odd ones and actually like the Dunlops and replace Dunlops with Dunlops.)

Maybe look at the Federal or Maxxis for new tyres.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk

http://blackcircles.com

http://www.camskill.co.uk

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

I switched my fronts from Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's to Vredestein Ultrac Cento and have been very happy with them in all conditions, excellent grip, quiet as a mouse, comfy ride.

Think the Vred's are a very similar design to the Eagle F1 Assymetric's

• Like 2

I'll continue to say what I've fitted to mine, even though I'm on my way out of the fold.

Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2's. It literally makes no sense to buy another tyre unless you want a track tyre, or a winter tyre.

What he said!!! Except the out of fold bit, that lost me a bit.

Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2's. It literally makes no sense to buy another tyre unless you want a track tyre, or a winter tyre.

There is of course RainSport 3s. Not tried either so can't comment on how they are, but people say they are very good.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have just had fitted to my Fabia 2 VRS DSG a full set of Vredestein Ultrac Cento tyres. Size standard 205/40/17.

These tyres are excellent giving a very well balanced compromise between ride comfort and noise - car is much quieter than before when it had two Kumhos' on the front and two Continentals' on the rear.

Tyres bought on-line from Pneus at a very reasonable £82 each - the tyres also benefit from a rim protection ridge.  Highly recommended.

• Like 2

I have just had fitted to my Fabia 2 VRS DSG a full set of Vredestein Ultrac Cento tyres. Size standard 205/40/17.

These tyres are excellent giving a very well balanced compromise between ride comfort and noise - car is much quieter than before when it had two Kumhos' on the front and two Continentals' on the rear.

Tyres bought on-line from Pneus at a very reasonable £82 each - the tyres also benefit from a rim protection ridge. Highly recommended.

This echo's my findings, I also expect that as mine did, yours will only get better after a thousand miles or so. Grip on mine is excellent.

Here is a question.

Which Fabia VRS tyres have an A rating for wet grip other than Michelin Pilot Sport 3?

Pilot Sports are great but a trifle pricey unless on a very good deal.

As I understand it each lower band ie B,C etc, means that that tyre takes another 3 metres further to stop ie about the width of a zebra crossing.

(i gather some Kumho tyres are)

The new Eagle F1's are supposed to be great. I've run Bridgestone Adrenalines which were good, it's on Michelin Pilot Sport 3's which are superb but expensive. I'll have to put two on the rear soon but I'll be selling so with all the recent weather I'll be going for Uniroyal Rainsport 3's. My parents run the Rainexperts and they are awesome in the wet and still very good in the dry. They do go soft when it's hot but this is when it's 28c+

Here is a question.

Which Fabia VRS tyres have an A rating for wet grip other than Michelin Pilot Sport 3?

Pilot Sports are great but a trifle pricey unless on a very good deal.

As I understand it each lower band ie B,C etc, means that that tyre takes another 3 metres further to stop ie about the width of a zebra crossing.

(i gather some Kumho tyres are)

its tosh if you ask me.... I would ignore it.... my track day tyres have a "C" rating.... the same as my goodyear ultragrip winters, which is simply incorrect, and these track day tyres have an "B" rating.... http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/yokohama/advan-neova-ado8 the wet rating they give clearly is a damp road with no ability to cut water involved at all.....

its tosh if you ask me.... I would ignore it.... my track day tyres have a "C" rating.... the same as my goodyear ultragrip winters, which is simply incorrect, and these track day tyres have an "B" rating.... http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/yokohama/advan-neova-ado8 the wet rating they give clearly is a damp road with no ability to cut water involved at all.....

I think it is somewhere between tosh and gospel, just another peice of info to consider.

The wet grip test is for specific conditions and my fairly worn Pilot Sport 3s felt like they were outperformed by my new Nexen Winguard Sports, which were half the price, in cold and wet conditions even though the PS3 are wet grip A and Nexens C.

When tyres are new they are much better, in Customs, as with the Police, tyres are disguarded at 3 mm tread depth or 4 mm for Winters as the very wet performance changes for the worse rapidly in the second half of the tyre's life.

Might try the Kuhno or wait for a deal on the PS3s unless something else really good comes along then if we do not get a hot summer might have my winters on until late April or May.

• Like 2

I've always used Uniroyal Rainsports 2s in the past but they're an old design and have been replaced by the Rainsport 3s, although I haven't driven those yet. The new benchmark tyre would appear to be the Pirelli P7 Cinturato Blue, the first tyre to get a 'Triple A' rating, but they don't seem to make it in a 205/40 x 17 yet; I plan on fitting these to my Mondeo at next tyre change.

I'm also a big fan of Continental, but they are expensive.

As for the ratings, my understanding is that it is a benchmark test for new tyres to give consumers a guide to new performance, nothing more. As said above, it's another piece of info to help you make a decision.

One thing I do know for sure, I won't be putting Falken's on my car!

How has anyone found these...

Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39
215/40 R17 Y
Fully Fitted

Category:
High Performance Tyres
Tyre Type:

Tread Type:
Asymmetrical
Tyre Label Information

Quantity at £77.88 each

Newly developed by Kumho, the Ecsta Le Sport KU39 high performance tyre is ideal for mid-class and executive vehicles as well as sports cars
Features
Ultra high performance tyre.
Excellent in both dry and wet conditions.
Superb handling characteristics.
Contains new generation silica tread compound.
Rim protector.

A graded wet grip.

E fuel efficiency

74 Db noise (ie quite noisy)

awful. my tyre place recomended them, and they have decent reviews, so I bought a pair for the front ..... they have decent wet grip, as much as the maxxis Z1's they replaced, BUT they had VERY poor dry grip, maybe 20% of the maxxis Z1's. ruined the car, I could not get them off quick enough :(