vRS real MPG

In February or, are you just telling us this for the summer months ? 

Regards

T

Clearly it is not February all year around, and for some members who post here February is summer. Indicating that it is safe to deliberately overfill a tank is plainly wrong, whatever the month or temperature.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I thought that I should post my VRS TSI results after 1400 miles. Current average is 26.8mpg, mostly around town. Super Unleaded shows no benefits over Premium so far.

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by Orville

I thought that I should post my VRS TSI results after 1400 miles. Current average is 26.8mpg, mostly around town. Super Unleaded shows no benefits over Premium so far.

Untitled-1.jpg

If you're in town for most of the time use Eco Mode, it improves it. I know it does, mine has seen it jump to around the 31 mpg from high 20's, it's not a lot, but better than nowt.

• Like 1

Eco does seem to make an improvement on the mpg, it does even for my short trips. The TSI is much more sensible to a heavier foot/heavier traffic than the TDI anyway.

I've done 1500 miles in my TSI now and I'm averaging 38mpg on my way to work and 31mph coming home. Its 15 miles each way with mostly country a roads... you can tell which way I drive harder. I drive it harder on the way home and get less economy but once up to speed the fuel economy creeps back up, I'm quite happy with this as my pd140 Passat used to average only 10mpg more.

This is all in individual mode with steering and lights in sport and the rest in normal

Edited by V6Jules
  • Like 1

Over 175000km of mixed city and open road driving my Passat B6 2.0L TDi DSG averaged 45 mpg. The new RS TDi should better that based on the claimed fuel consumption which I assume would have been measured using the same methods by VAG.

My TSI gives 20-25mpg around town and 40ish on a motorway run. As I only cover 6-7K miles per year I am not really bothered with the additional fuel costs of petrol. The benefits of the petrol engine outweigh the TDI's economy for me, but if I was doing twice the miles I probably would have gone for the more sensible TDI.

My wife and I enjoy having petrol again after the 320d. You forget how smoother and quieter petrol is, how quickly it warms up, and how nice it can sound under hard acceleration. My only slight regret was not ordering DSG, but my wife hates autos and point blank refused.

Overall I am very happy with my current average which is just under 27mpg.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 2

Very similar to Orville for me with my TSi, 25 to 28 or so around town and 38 to 40 so far on runs. If I use A and B roads more spiritedly, it drops to about 35.

I have had a lot of diesels in the past and am enjoying the petrol this time as well. :)

• Like 1

My TSI gives 20-25mpg around town and 40ish on a motorway run. As I only cover 6-7K miles per year I am not really bothered with the additional fuel costs of petrol. The benefits of the petrol engine outweigh the TDI's economy for me, but if I was doing twice the miles I probably would have gone for the more sensible TDI.

My wife and I enjoy having petrol again after the 320d. You forget how smoother and quieter petrol is, how quickly it warms up, and how nice it can sound under hard acceleration. My only slight regret was not ordering DSG, but my wife hates autos and point blank refused.

Overall I am very happy with my current average which is just under 27mpg.

My average is creeping up to 28 now. I have to agree with you on the petrol though. It's a revelation after five years of driving a MKII vRS oil burner. Reckon I do about 11-12 K a year, might end up spending a bit more on fuel, can't be arsed to do the calc. It was and still is a bit alarming watching the fuel gauge drop like a stone though. Funny I don't really remember a massive difference when I switched my old MK II petrol RS for my latter diesel, which makes me wonder if the new tsi is actually LESS efficient than the previous generation 197 BHP unit.

I wonder if anyone here has gone directly from the MK II petrol to the MK III petrol vRS. What do you think back to back comparison??

Picked up my vRS TDI hatch and done a tankful between yesterday morning and this afternoon. Despite being very heavy footed it still returned 48 mpg! Coming from a petrol Alfa Romeo returning 27 mpg on a motorway run I'm mightily impressed.

might end up spending a bit more on fuel, can't be arsed to do the calc

I'm bored, so I'll do it for you.

For 12k miles, at £1.32/litre and 30mpg for petrol, you're looking at £2,400/year.  At £1.36/litre and 50mpg for diesel, it's less than £1,500.  So that's > £900/year extra in fuel costs.

• Like 2

For 12k miles, at £1.32/litre and 30mpg for petrol, you're looking at £2,400/year.  At £1.36/litre and 50mpg for diesel, it's less than £1,500.  So that's > £900/year extra in fuel costs.

900 quid a year is a tidy sum. Well spent :-)

900 quid a year is a tidy sum. Well spent :-)

Actually,I over estimated my mileage to be on the safe side for the PCP. Looking at the mileage on my old vRS diesel, it was not far north of 50K over 5 years. Think it had a bit more on it. I have traditionally done about 10K a year give or take. I am actually looking at about 760 quid. :-))

I get > 55mpg in my 120d... and was looking at an M135i before ordering the Octy.

Given my friend gets on average 20mpg from his M135i, I decided the extra £2800+ in fuel costs per year (I do 15k miles/year), not to mention the cost of the damn thing in the first place, was good enough reason to forget that idea.  Shame really, because it is a bonkers fun car!

For 12k miles, at £1.32/litre and 30mpg for petrol, you're looking at £2,400/year. At £1.36/litre and 50mpg for diesel, it's less than £1,500. So that's > £900/year extra in fuel costs.

or, just £18 per week for more refinement, less noise, more performance, more fun. It costs me that in train fares for my daily commute, and I know which mode of transport I prefer.

Saying all that, the diesel will also depreciate less and the Tax Disc is cheaper so real difference may be closer to £1500pa over 12k miles.

Edited by Orville

I'm surprised by how poor the economy appears on the tsi vrs compared to the mk2 given the mk3 is lighter and i presume possibly more aerodynamic. I have a mk2 tsi vrs and achieve 36-37mpg average over mixed driving of motorway (70%) and town/country road and thats with roof bars on! Admit if you do a lot of town driving then the economy is poor....low 20's. Best was driving from Glasgow to cornwall and almost managed it on one tank sitting at 75mph. I know vag engines tend to take a good while to loosen up 10k miles +. Would consider changing to a mk3 in the future but am slightly put off by a combination of the smaller tank and quoted economy figures on here.

Wouldn't be too worried.

I did a mixed run of 200 miles plus and averaged 39 mpg at an average speed of 59 mph.

So pretty good in my book.

My 36 mpg is very much based on local commutes and weekend shopping trips.

• Like 1

I came from a markII to MarkIII VRS TSI. Mark II average overall was 32 and best on long motorway run at 70 was at best ~36.

Mark III is on ave overall of 38 and just did Nottingham to Kettering at 70 on ACC for 43mpg . Mark III is more efficient

• Like 3

My average over 1440 miles is 26.8mpg, but you can tell the type of driving the car does by the average speed of just 18mpg. My former diesel only averaged 34mog, so I am very pleased with the results. My driving mix is probably 80% town, 20% motorway/A-road in terms of distances driven (not time spent on them). Former Subarus I have owned with similar power struggled to reach 20mpg under similar conditions.

Average speed will directly relate to mpg.