Guitar Gods?

Gwilo

Who's the better overall guitarist?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who's the better overall guitarist?

• Slash from G n R - scary hair, scarier pants, but he can play
    • Eric Clapton - he's still going, so although MOR, he must be doing something right
    • Gary Moore - Parisienne Walkways.....
    • Jimi Hendrix - Talent. Shame about the drugs n stuff
    • B.B.King - the master of making a a few notes say so much
    • Stevie Ray Vaughan - One song above all - Lenny.

Put the ipod on shuffle this morning.....

And I was left with the question over who of the guitarist's it gave me has the most, er......."enjoyment" factor. Not just style or technique or ability, but a combination of all three.......

Some of our younger member's might be left thinking "who the hell is that?", and technically, I suppose I should be in the same boat. But i don't go for all this techno-hippy-trance-dance-r-n-b-pop stuff.

Cast your votes.........

All good suggestions - Satriani is technically brilliant, but ever so boring to listen to IMHO. I think on balance it's Gary Moore for me, although he lost the plot with his 90's albums - weird. Glad he's getting back to the blues now.

Walter Trout, anyone?

Kirk Hammet. All his leads are fantastic, especially in the 'Master of Puppets' and the'..and Justice for all' albums.

John Petrucci of Dream Theatre...unbelievable guitarist. Absolutely mind-blowing.

Richie Havens was pretty good (I used to like the way he could "bar" with his thumb).

There was someone on stage at Glastonbury, but can't remember who he was backing. I rushed in to my son (would-be player) and said "You gotta switch over to see him." I guess this nomination is NBG whatsoever. Sorry :o

Mo

Shoot me for not remembering his name :o , but re-watched Pink Floyd's performance at the live8 gig and I was mesmorised :D

Ahh, Knopfler does it for me too - some classic dire straights. Not the most technical wow-factor but the mood is just goddamn right for me :o

Was by no means an exhaustive poll.....

Watched a few Satriana dvd's.....technically very very skilled, but.....seemed a bit too fussy...all wiiddly widdly.....but maybe i'm just a bit simple...

Brian may...true....but i don't have any Queen in the ipod yet....lol

And Carlos Santana.....a veritable legend.....but someone (dunno if it was here) when i went to the Santana gig at wembley the other year, dismissed him as it's larlgey derived from repetitive pentatonic scales......

Granted, they clearly know very little, but someone like Clapton mixed minor and majors in the same song, often righ next to each other, but still made them sound right......

Not going amend the poll though, as I don't know anything consciously by Vai, Van Halen, Satriani, Kirk Hammet.....

You may have noticed that the artists i shortlist where all big in the 70's......might give a clue as to my musical range.....lol

I agree with all the names on the list and also the addition of Brian May and Kirk Hammett (from Metallica).

From the list above though, I think I have to go for Slash, though it is tough as I love Gary Moore and Eric Claptons stuff.

Whats with the "shame about the drugs" with regards to hendrix, if it wasnt for the drugs his music would not be the way it is, which in turn would not have had the same influence on music that it was today.

ps Why isnt jimmy page on there.