VRS trashed at Grimsby Dock

Having checked Grimsby Docks on Google Maps, I think i may have changed my mind about how secure it is.

I dont believe the story that someone broke in to steal a steering wheel, but I wouldnt be surprised if it were possible to get inside the docks. Look at the railway line going straight across the main road and into the docks. Is there anything stopping you wandering down that railway line?

There is a railway line into the the main car handling area at the docks down here (the biggest car handling port in the country). It's one of the ways they bring the cars in and out and leads right into the compound where they store thousands of Range Rovers, Minis, and Hondas (if you were sad enough to want an Evoque, this is the place to come). It is protected by gates, cameras, dogs, electric fences and motion sensors. The trains themselves have guards riding shotgun. As a previous poster said, it is like Fort Knox. I can't see VAG using a facility with anything less than that level of security. 

The car has been pranged. If a crime has been committed it is by the dealer! I'm with Hotrod, have a chat with the police and find out if a crime has been reported. And good luck.

I know how quiet and dangerous trains are. I also mentioned that i was just going by google maps and street view. No gates were obvious across the railway line into the docks. It certainly didnt seem as secure as i know Southampton is.

Thankyou to RichC though for pointing out that it is a lot safer than it originally looked.

I think that is the worst tale of woe and biggest pile of dealer donkey poo I have read on here so far.

The thing is, I don't get what they're gaining by telling porkies, just like I don't get why someone would break into one particular car in a secure compound (presuming it is, the ones down here in Southampton are) just to have away a steering wheel, which they probably wrecked while taking off...

Gutted for you.

Southampton's as secure as a leaky sieve with a big hole in it, at least the main dock ones are. Don't know about the compound at the QEII Terminal as I never worked there. Cars unlocked, keys in the drivers door pocket and a few guards and that's it.

Despite security and big ditches around it, the car hold that dad worked at had 30 cars go awol one night.

As for damage, dad repaired lots that the local youths threw bricks at as they came in on the rail transporters.

Pretty much everything that went through had damage from transport.

Even if it arrived safely, the yard movers drove them like they stole them, and regularly misjudged their handbrake turns between rows of cars according to dad despite signs warning of dismissal if 5mph site limit not adhered to.

If you're picking up your new PSA vehicle, I feel sorry for you.

i feel really sorry for you m8 on this one. what you need to do is reject the car dont stress your self out just tell them u dont want it.then re order a new car with them on condition they lend u a car for the duration.(OK IT MAYBE A OLDER CAR) if they wont you will have to cancel the order completly. believe me 

• Like 1

I think you should take initial legal advice, the dealer and or finance co may be in breach of contract. No real point in listening to anyone's wishes on here. If the law is on your side use it. The more slack you give the supplier the more they will take the pee.

It's a Skoda Octavia not a rare supercar. Ultimately you have to be prepared to vote with your feet and go elsewhere. Try one of the brokers they may me able to get something close to your desired spec from stock.

If you paid the deposit by credit card then contact them under section 75 they are equally liable. I would NOT be accepting a new car with the history you know it may have.

You dont think it has been waterlogged in one of the recent floods do you and they are trying to dry it out.

Good luck and don't give the supplier an inch of slack.

• Like 2

What did the dealer say when you exposed their lie about the out-of-stock alloy wheel?

I'd have been making it very clear that I wasn't happy about being lied to and as a result don't buy the steering wheel story.

Ask the dealer manager for the truth.

Ask the dealer manager for the truth.

It's the Dealer Principal you need to speak to, just ask to be told the truth and explain what the pack of lies does for your confidence in their dealership.

Any business with the potential for this amount of adverse publicity would be sensible to hold their hands up and try to save at least some face, not to mention the profit opportunities of your business and the rest of this community if you decide to name and shame.

As previously stated you also need Skoda to explain the actions of their agents.

• Like 1

I do appreciate all of the advice, the first thing I will do is listen to what Skoda and the dealer have to say, I deal with legal matters at work so I know my avenues.

I'm speaking to them tomorrow so standby for an update

• Like 3

Hope it all works out for you. I bought mine from Central\Simpsons as I assume you did and found them to be responsive to gripes although obviously this in a  different league. Fingers crossed you have fruitful discussions.

Unfortunately the complaint handler did leave a VM and despite ringing back twice was not available to take my call. Another 24 hrs of limited information, what a service!

Ever felt like going into the dealers, and refusing to leave until you come some proper answers?

• Like 1

That reminds me of something I was told a while back. All vehicles that are delivered to Sheerness are "initiated" into the country by the handlers... they do a lap around the yard as fast as they can, in 1st gear.

So yeah, if your car was brought in via the Isle of Sheppey... er... it's been ragged.

I thought all cars were delivered in "transport mode" so they couldn't be ragged before they got to the dealer and then put into standard mode during the PDI

Ian

I understand that Grimsby stepped up security after an event a few years back, at one of the car holds went array, various guests in a marquee looking a new model, meanwhile, they left a gate open and some sharp eyed oiks nicked a few motors... oops!

I used to arrange repairs and maintenance of railway wagons used for car transporting, our engineers used to find all sorts of scrapes, bits of bumpers, mirrors, even exhausts. There's bridging plates to drive from wagon to wagon along the inside of the train, they had to be replaced on a regular basis despite being over-spec for the strict 5mph limit.

One customer told me they had their doubts about one particular shift of agency staff, they set a speed trap inside the train (much smaller than the eurotunnel shuttles btw) and they were gob-smacked by a reading of 60mph! Although they did agree to pay for the bridging plates!

I understand that Grimsby stepped up security after an event a few years back, at one of the car holds went array, various guests in a marquee looking a new model, meanwhile, they left a gate open and some sharp eyed oiks nicked a few motors... oops!

I used to arrange repairs and maintenance of railway wagons used for car transporting, our engineers used to find all sorts of scrapes, bits of bumpers, mirrors, even exhausts. There's bridging plates to drive from wagon to wagon along the inside of the train, they had to be replaced on a regular basis despite being over-spec for the strict 5mph limit.

One customer told me they had their doubts about one particular shift of agency staff, they set a speed trap inside the train (much smaller than the eurotunnel shuttles btw) and they were gob-smacked by a reading of 60mph! Although they did agree to pay for the bridging plates!

60? Wow. Thats extreme. I take it you are on about the covered wagons? Cant see anyone managing 60 on the open wagons.

Update....

Received a call from Skoda UK.....customer service not their strongest suit. I apologised for troubling them it was all my fault  :wall:  

They say that they can't do anything until the car is assessed but did confirm my car was one of 16 damaged and it was a criminal act. The call handler stated it was quite common to deal with theft of steering wheels as she had dealt with 2 as they were multi-function devices.

I then received a call from the Sales Manager at the dealer who is a decent guy who I have dealt with before. He said the steering wheels are now in the country, as soon as they get them to the port and can be fitted the car can be removed to the repairer. He did say if I want a new car that is fine and apparently Skoda can prioritise an order in these circumstances.

Finally he mentioned that he wouldn't rely on Skoda offering too much discount on the original order.

Hurry up and wait....still chilled as I have no option other than burst a blood vessel!

Well at least you have more info. Not a lot but some.

The course of action is obviously your decision and most on here will have an opinion - some would be happy just getting the car (possibly with a wee sorry thrown in) and others wouldn't want it and would order a new one.

If you decide to order a new one I wouldn't rely in the priority order - mine was and it's due to get built some time next week after being ordered at the end if September!!

16 damaged. That makes me uneasy. Hopefully mine has made it through the Bronx. To be one of the 16 is pretty unlucky considering how many cars are waiting there. I really feel for you and the other 15 who have sat waiting patiently for there new purchase for it to get this far and then get messed with by some mindless scum.

• Like 2

Glad you have an update, and thanks for sharing with us.

I guess you can make a better decision on accept or re order once the car is properly assessed.  I must admit though, my instinct is reject this one.

• Like 2

Im glad they are being easy regards rejecting the car. Thats always better.

Will they let you keep the courtesy car if you order a new one? If so, definitely push for an Octy as a courtesy car. Plus order couple of options and push for them to be chucked in.

You've had awful luck but atleast your confidence in the integrity of the dealer can start to be rebuilt. 

I'm glad to see they've offered you a new car if you deecide that's what you want.  I wonder how many of our cars have been damaged without us knowling?  Who's to say if the two week wait "for a transporter" includes a wait for a visit from a smart repairer?  :think:

• Like 3