Fitting a honda S2000 air filter

Kyle_vrs

I know this is a easy job but a few people have asked how it fits and I too was unsure how it fitted to the maf with terms of tightening it and the vac pipe so I've done a quick guide just to save people having to message us that are running them and having to wait for a reply etc.
20140117_132933_zpsdq0offby.jpg
So this is the stock airbox and filter but with a PD160 fitted. If you've got a strut brace on like me you'll need to undo the 2 13mm bolts that holds it to the n/s strut turret so you can take the lid of the airbox. Take the 2 screws out of the airbox lid so the top comes off. I then unplugged the maf and loosened the clip so I could take the lid and maf completely off. The lower part of the air box needs a 10mm bolt taking out behind the battery close to the wing and then pull it off its mounts after youve unscrewed the intake part. You could leave the bottom part of the box in place with the intake if you want but I've ordered a cold air feed so took it out.
20140117_133811_zpsavq38ho0.jpg
My vac pipe was snapped off my airbox lid anyway so I had to do this but you just need to put something in the vac pipe like this. This is the ink pipe out of a bic pen.
20140117_134356_zpsnlivueho.jpg
20140117_134747_zpswteqjfnr.jpg
Measure up where you want the vac pipe to go, then drill a hole big enough for that to fit through. I put it near the cone to clear the maf but at the back so its hidden as much as can be.
20140117_134735_zpswi5xat94.jpg
The filter will push on the maf its a snug fit so it will come off if you twist it off but its not going to just fall off. Fit it all back to the intake pipe and put the clip back on then connect the vac pipe. It really is a perfect fit onto the maf no need for anything else it WILL be fine. You can see the vac pipe now and how its at the back. You could try and hide it completely by going underneath but you'd need to extend it as its not long enough which is why I put it there.
IMG_20140117_140008_zpsijutxeeb.jpg
20140117_140312_zpsr2tfr5hv.jpg
20140117_134801_zpsz1eaqf4y.jpg
I did put a jubilee clip round mine but in all honesty it wont be doing anything I did it for looks as IMO it looks better with one on than not but you really don't need it and I'd be surprised if it was even doing anything.
I've got the PD160 still attached here as a cold air feed until mine arrives off of ebay but it will be the same setup but with a £10 cold air feed rather than a £130 pipe!!!
How does it drive and sound then?
No noise increase on idle, slight increase under normal driving and it gives a nice deep cone drone and on full boost it sounds lovely, you can really hear it sucking in air. I think I'm getting a slight flutter it's not that loud inside but I did drive it quite aggressively earlier and it did it fairly loud so really need to work out how to do it. It's probably no quicker than the pd160 to standard airbox but it's no slower either and with the air feed it can be done for under £30 so a worthwhile mod.
FAQ's
Can i leave the vac pipe to atmosphere? No it will have a judder at about 2000rpm and the eml will come on after abit. I did this when I fitted my first pipercross cone on it so I know this happens.
Where can I get one and which colour? Euro car parts do one for £18 (actually on sale now for £12.60) but its beige with a green filter, part number 50260019J. If you want the red and black one like mine you need a blueprint one part number ADH222236. Most car parts places will probably stock this anyway as blueprint do alot of Jap filters but they should be able to order that with ease. I've seen other colours available but don't know makes or part numbers.

Hopefully this should cover everything to do with them, if there's anything I've missed ask away and I'll add.

Cold air feed

Got this cold air feed off ebay for £13

Screenshot_2014-01-19-14-28-40_zpsdih7z2

Fitted it today, could of got one slightly smaller actually as I didn't think this would be that big so I will keep a eye on it and make sure it doesn't rub on any of the pipes. It also was that big it didn't need any of the clamps or the other trumpet end so you could just buy the pipe. Anyway all fitted.

20140125_162946_zpsysv3141c.jpg

20140125_163017_zpsmvg4zyel.jpg

20140125_163011_zps6wuw1tzv.jpg

20140125_162958_zpsswvvscsh.jpg

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

What stops the filter flopping around all over the place?

I installed a k+n on my pd150 and fabricated a bracket that utilises the old mounting point for the standard airbox. Without the bracket it was proper floppy (never good to have a flop on when it counts)

What stops the filter flopping around all over the place?

I installed a k+n on my pd150 and fabricated a bracket that utilises the old mounting point for the standard airbox. Without the bracket it was proper floppy (never good to have a flop on when it counts)

Seems I missed this off lol. The filter has a little valve type thing on it on the top of it (it's a locating pin for the Honda airbox actually but looks like a valve), I've got this pointing down so it fits into a groove and with the intake pipe it just fits secure. When I had my K&N and pipercross one on they were floppy so I left the bottom of the airbox in but this filter is huge it's like the size of your head so it wedges in quite secure. I was going to secure it originally but when I fitted it there's no need to so didn't bother.

The plan is to do it like the original. The pd160 will be gone so I will drill the slam panel to put 2 bolts through the jubilee clamp to secure it as the standard air feed would be then I'd imagine I will end up using a cable tie around the filter to hold the other end or maybe use 2 small self tapper screws to screw the other clamp to the battery box. I will update the thread with a guide on doing that too though when I've had a play

Hi guys,

I've got an Octavia ll vRS 2.0 TFSI with a Neuspeed intake. The neck diameter is 70mm. Would one of these filters fit and replace my current K&N cone filter?

Also does anyone know the length and diameter of the S2000 filter?

Thanks for any info.

Here you are, details of the cold air feed.

Screenshot_2014-01-26-17-54-55_zpsuufqgh

The way I've fitted it I've removed all of the airbox and stock air feed but you could just remove the airbox lid and sit the filter in the bottom part and leave the stock air feed. I ran a pipercross and a k&n cone like this before I got my pd160 but this time I wanted it all out as I sold my pd160 and didn't fancy putting the puny standard air feed back on when I bought this cold air feed for £13. Probably no difference between leaving airbox and stock pipe in place to my setup purely looks for me

As the vac pipe connector on the air box had snapped off, you used the ink pipe from a biro to allow it to sit into the filter ... what could be used to act the same way as the vac pipe has not snapped off my air box ??

I used the clear plastic part from the end of a pen,

I hack sawed it of about an inch in length,

Then took about 5mm from the other end just to open it up a little,

Next step was to drill the filter just big enough that the pen part fits tight inside the whole,

The trick is to put the thin end from the inside of the filter pipe and then push the vacuum pipe onto it, which then secures it in place, hope this makes sense

I used the clear plastic part from the end of a pen,

I hack sawed it of about an inch in length,

Then took about 5mm from the other end just to open it up a little,

Next step was to drill the filter just big enough that the pen part fits tight inside the whole,

The trick is to put the thin end from the inside of the filter pipe and then push the vacuum pipe onto it, which then secures it in place, hope this makes sense

or you could just fit a small filter on the vac pipe, like the small inline ones you get for fuel pipes etc, this is exactly what the ford galaxy's had when fitted with the vw diesel engine as std.