Lights Auto setting

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out to change the setting of my headlamps so that when Auto is selected on light switch I get the following...

Daylight - DRL only

Night time - DRL & Headlamps

Is this possible. Is it a dealer setup required of can it be done through radio.

• Like 1

Hi GAFF,

When my headlights are switched to auto then the car detects when its getting darker and decides to put the headlights on with the DRLs.

In the day time it automatically just puts the DRLs on with no headlights so yours should do the same?

Keith

• Like 1

DRLs are designed for daytime use, to be seen in bright sunlight. At night they would be truly dazzling to oncoming drivers.

If you now have a vRS, then the DRL's dim  and become sidelights when the headlamps switch on.

If you have a non vRS, then the DRL's go out when the headlights come on.

Hi GAFF,

When my headlights are switched to auto then the car detects when its getting darker and decides to put the headlights on with the DRLs.

In the day time it automatically just puts the DRLs on with no headlights so yours should do the same?

Keith

+1 here

Hi GAFF,

Keith

My dips seem to come regardless of time of the day. Its as if I have DRL & Dips as Scandanavian lights during the day.

Is this something garage need to code?

My dips seem to come regardless of time of the day. Its as if I have DRL & Dips as Scandanavian lights during the day.

Is this something garage need to code?

Nope. What setting have you got the lights on, early, medium or late?

Bear in mind at this time of year with this crappy weather the lights are more likely to come on during the day...

• Like 1

DRLs are designed for daytime use, to be seen in bright sunlight. At night they would be truly dazzling to oncoming drivers.

If you now have a vRS, then the DRL's dim  and become sidelights when the headlamps switch on.

If you have a non vRS, then the DRL's go out when the headlights come on.

Is this setup UK only? My Elegance turns on headlights at poor light while DRLs only dim and don't go out. The same as on vRS...

Nope. What setting have you got the lights on, early, medium or late?

Bear in mind at this time of year with this crappy weather the lights are more likely to come on during the day...

I tried a few different settings (I did try it in front of house ...North facing so maybe too dark),

Does Late mean come on late. I will also try turn off Rain setting

I tried a few different settings,

Does Late mean come on late. I will also try turn off Rain setting

Yes late mean they'll come on late. As for the rain setting please leave it on as you should really have lights on when it's raining...... though I know how some people like to invisible when they're driving.....

My DRLs remain on, but dimmed, when the headlights come on. I have Xenon's if that makes any difference.

Mine is Irish spec....with BiXenons. Mine does dim DRL when dips are on....what I want is during daylight have Dips to go off & DRL to stay on and go brighter.

Different set up to the UK then

It is possible to set as you want, would need a controller adaptations map pulling from controller 09 on your car to see how they are configured compared to a UK spec car. If you know anyone with VCDS and can get a controller adaptations map (you need the security access code of 31347 to access the adaptations) I can advise from there by comparing to a UK spec car

GAFF I think your lights are working the same as UK spec but because it's winter and it's always cloudy then you're getting dipped beam during daytime, this is normal for Auto lights. My dipped are on a lot during the day but I like it as I want other road users to see me....

GAFF I think your lights are working the same as UK spec but because it's winter and it's always cloudy then you're getting dipped beam during daytime, this is normal for Auto lights. My dipped are on a lot during the day but I like it as I want other road users to see me....

Seem to be very sensitive to dull weather.

I will need some testing over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Would the "required amount of light" be possible to change with VAGCOM-software/cable?

I really want it to be less sensitive for poor lightning (or cloudy day as we mostly have at the west coast of Norway).

Edited by mirakulix