Diesel Vrs mpg and miles to tank.

Has anyone seen the 74 mpg extra urban?

It's one of the key reasons I'm ordering a VRS instead of a 320 which I know can do 70mpg on a motorway run at 70mph ish

:D just as I was over taken by a flying pig......... Seriously though, mid to high 50's are probably going to be the best on a long motorway run.

• Like 2

Has anyone seen the 74 mpg extra urban?

It's one of the key reasons I'm ordering a VRS instead of a 320 which I know can do 70mpg on a motorway run at 70mph ish

That's hilarious.  I've never seen more than mid 50s in mine driving like a sissy with a tail wind and cruise control set.

So, to get this right, you're not ordering a car which you say that you know will do 70 mpg because a VRS may give you an extra 4 mpg? Hmmm.

Mine have 2500 on it now, never been in eco, mostly normal and occasional sport.....

Have a 50 mile daily commute, round the congestion that is Newcastle, light has never come on below 400, get close to 500 miles per tank, so think it is averaging 50mpg......

Much more than the Fabia VRS it replaced so I am quite happy....still to do a long run to see how it goes.

Mate has a 2012 320D saloon, on a run to Birmigham and back in Novemebr, we got 62mpg but it was on cruise control most of the way set at a steady 80.........

Sorry as someone whos not interested in any of the BMW range, what does a 320D cost compared to a vRS diesel ? and how many years will it take for the extra fuel efficiency to save the owner any actual money ? do use discounted cash flows should you wish.

In short, lets compare apples with apples and pears with pears shall we.

Regards

T

Sorry as someone whos not interested in any of the BMW range, what does a 320D cost compared to a vRS diesel ? and how many years will it take for the extra fuel efficiency to save the owner any actual money ? do use discounted cash flows should you wish.

In short, lets compare apples with apples and pears with pears shall we.

Regards

T

Sorry for pinching this thread!

My decision is for a 4 year lease car. It’s company funded but clearly I have a budget and the lease cost between a top spec VRS and an ED BMW with most of the same kit is not that different, and I can only put this down to residual value.

The BIK is 17% on both and given the P11 would be similar (around £29k one and £32 other) that makes no odds.

I should have mentioned this – if I were buying private there would be no comparison – I’d buy used J

On my 2010 VRS diesel I'd average 450 to a tank, my daily commute is 4 miles each way and I don't drive slow. If I golfed one weekend in St Andrews which is a 150 round trip that would see me over the 500 miles per tank.

I'm quite disappointed by most of the reviews so far as I was told by the dealer that new 2013 VRS diesel was even more economic than the MK 2010 I had.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Have covered just over 7500 miles so far and am achieving around 50 mpg tank to tank. This translates to about 450/460 miles and I can usually squeeze in just over 9 gallons. Driving is a 50 mile each way commute which is about 30 miles on the motorway at peak times (speed can be anywhere from 0 to 70 mph) with the remainder on A, B and unclassified roads.

I don't consider this to be to bad and about what I expected. Based on the figures quoted I felt (as with all manufacturers these days) that the figures would be way over stated just because of the way the fuel economy tests are allowed to be performed. They are are only for comparison purposes and certainly will not reflect the real world.

Btw, what is this Eco mode you talk of, it's a VRS :bandit:

• Like 1

Interesting results.

Does the car take a while to warm up at this time of year?

I'm wondering if more miles and warmer weather may improve some what the cars economy.

That being said I bought the car for its power as much as it's economy

Definitely judging by my Elegance, I'd say mine has dropped around 4 - 5 mpg now compared to the summer.

• Like 1

Definitely judging by my Elegance, I'd say mine has dropped around 4 - 5 mpg now compared to the summer.

Only to be expected unfortunately, longer warm up time, winter fuel and having to run more power sapping ancillaries such as lights, fans, heated windows, seats etc on those cold mornings/evenings.

On my 2010 VRS diesel I'd average 450 to a tank, my daily commute is 4 miles each way and I don't drive slow. If I golfed one weekend in St Andrews which is a 150 round trip that would see me over the 500 miles per tank.

I'm quite disappointed by most of the reviews so far as I was told by the dealer that new 2013 VRS diesel was even more economic than the MK 2010 I had.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately different people mean diferent things by "a tankful".  For the purposes of comparison, what is that in mpg please?

check my fuelly. long term average is around 40ish.  It does go up to 55 ish indicated on long runs in eco but ive found its about 10% out.  Im doing a lot of short hops and town driving so its dragging the average down as the dsg box kills the economy during city driving.

check my fuelly. long term average is around 40ish.  It does go up to 55 ish indicated on long runs in eco but ive found its about 10% out.  Im doing a lot of short hops and town driving so its dragging the average down as the dsg box kills the economy during city driving.

The DSG kills the economy full stop.  In 6th gear it's revving approx. 20% higher than the manual for the same speed so even on motorways you are approx 10mpg worse off.

The DSG kills the economy full stop.  In 6th gear it's revving approx. 20% higher than the manual for the same speed so even on motorways you are approx 10mpg worse off.

havent we been through this before where you were already proved wrong???

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/288174-honest-mpg-figures/#entry3418063

80mph in 6th in a manual is 2100rpm, in a  DSG it's 2500rpm.

Thats's about 20%

booke23, on 11 Sept 2013 - 19:27, said:snapback.png

I'm not sure which manual Octavia you experienced 2100rpm at 80mph, but the manual 2.0tdi CR, does 2450rpm in 6th at 80mph.  

Sorry, I have never driven a manual Octy III.

I was basing this on a back to back test drive of a manual & dsg Golf Mk7 TDI GT earlier this year.   In that car in 6th at 80mph the revs were totally different and I thought the Octavia would have the same gearbox.

That makes the fuel economy of the DSG even worse then if all ratios are identical.  The difference in mpg must be down to how often it changes gear (as I previously stated,dsg programming for petrol is good, diesel is not there yet).

• Like 1

VRS TDI Estate Manual

Long Term reading - 46.5m/g with average speed mighty 32mph!

450-470mile to the tank - Only ever got 45-47ltrs in a fill when tank appears empty, so have a little reserve somewhere just in case by the looks of it!

havent we been through this before where you were already proved wrong???

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/288174-honest-mpg-figures/#entry3418063

booke23, on 11 Sept 2013 - 19:27, said:snapback.png

I'm not sure which manual Octavia you experienced 2100rpm at 80mph, but the manual 2.0tdi CR, does 2450rpm in 6th at 80mph.  

So what revs does the DSG actually do at 80mph in 6th??

Recently on a private road my manual was doing roughly 2150rpm at 80mph.....