Grill surround

Got a black FL vRS estate and have been contemplating getting the chrome grill surround colour coded. Seen some on here and quite like the idea.

Is it just a case of getting the chrome one sprayed or can you buy them already done. Ive seen some that have been wrapped but think I would prefer a sprayed one.

Cheers

I can of plasti-dip in a rattle can sorted mine.  I prefer the matt black finish to the chrome but it's easy to peel off if I ever need to revert back.  Also changed all my badges to the latest chrome on black and I think they look better than the originals (though the photo doesn't do it justice). :hi:

post-41230-0-87764000-1390432935_thumb.jpg

The best way is...

1) Remove grille from car.

2) Soak grille in a warm bath for 1/2 an hour, to soften the plastic.

3) Separate surround from grille.

4) Peel the chrome off using sharp knife/scalpel.

5) Prep surface with fine grade wet and dry.

6) Apply Plastic Primer, top coat, then lacquer (with suitable drying times between coats).

7) Refit is reverse of removal.

8) Put the kettle on, stand back and admire your work.  :rock:

Spraying on top of the chrome will not resist stone chips nearly as well, and you will ultimately end up doing it twice.  :wall:

Fr0d

Edited by Fr0d

The best way is...

1) Remove grille from car.

2) Soak grille in a warm bath for 1/2 an hour, to soften the plastic.

3) Separate surround from grille.

4) Peel the chrome off using sharp knife/scalpel.

5) Prep surface with fine grade wet and dry.

6) Apply Plastic Primer, top coat, then lacquer (with suitable drying times between coats).

7) Refit is reverse of removal.

8) Put the kettle on, stand back and admire your work.  :rock:

Spraying on top of the chrome will not resist stone chips nearly as well, and you will ultimately end up doing it twice.  :wall:

Fr0d

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Regarding step 4, is the chrome very thinly layered then. Not sure what you mean by peel it off.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Regarding step 4, is the chrome very thinly layered then. Not sure what you mean by peel it off.

Not exactly,

Yes the chrome itself is thin, but It is plated onto a parent metal, which in turn is bonded onto the plastic surround underneath.

You'll need to peel the chrome-plated metal away from the plastic entirely. Best example I can give is kind of like peeling a metal onion, lol.

Best advice i can offer you is start at a corner and take your time - try and peel off as larger chunks of it as you can.

You will find as you go, you will naturally work out the best method.

It is a very slow and painstaking process and your fingers and thumbs will be very numb when your done.  :dull:

Be very careful as you go, trying not to score the plastic, as this will add to your pre-priming prep work.

Took me best part of a day to peel the lot off.

Good luck!

There was a guide for chrome removal on an Audi forum I followed, if you can find it.

Ah - here it is

Thanks thats brilliant, a job for the weekend. Just one last question. After looking at the guide I can see how thick the chrome is. Does this affect how it looks on the car as in, is there a small lip where it joins the bonnet.

I guess it would be too small, but I cant go and check as Mrs has got the car today.

Thanks thats brilliant, a job for the weekend. Just one last question. After looking at the guide I can see how thick the chrome is. Does this affect how it looks on the car as in, is there a small lip where it joins the bonnet.

The chrome is probably thinner than aluminium foil so it won't have any effect, plus the paint you put on will probably be thicker.

The chrome-plated metal you need to remove is a lot thicker than tin foil (but still fairly thin) but the difference is completely unnoticeable, once painted and back on the car. If your old enough to remember when toothpaste came in metal tubes, then that is roughly the thickness of metal we are talking about.

You'd literally need to use a micrometer to measure any difference.

The peeled edges of metal are razor sharp though, so watch your fingers as you go.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok job all done and I must say very happy with the result. Thanks to everyone who replied to help me out.

Some pictures below :rofl:. It does look like the grill is a different shade but it must me the light as it looks fine in person.

post-78708-0-84916800-1391346344_thumb.jpg

post-78708-0-96144100-1391346351_thumb.jpg

post-78708-0-37604500-1391346360_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have now lacquered my grill, but the end result is it looks too dark and flat, the paint I got was from paints4u. I'm not sure if its just a poor colour match or should I be doing something to the base coat before lacquering?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I repainted using the skoda paints. Its a great match but i had a nightmare trying to refit the new grill. The bottom does not sit flat where you screw the metal panel to the grill surround. Each end sticks up. Anyone else found this?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk