Auto Express Test.

leckman

When Skoda decided to have a petrol only motor powering the Fabia II vRS thats another big reason why they lost a lot of customers, Don't see many MKII vRS knocking about up here. 

The new i10 is a vast improvement over the last one, I think it looks quite smart and you certainly get a good bit more kit for your money plus a 5 year warranty. 

Edited by VRSD30

After a bad experience with my current car (though the dealers lack of care is worse) I'm looking at going back to basics and have my eye on the Citigo, Hyundai i10 and even though there being replaced later this year, the C1/107.

I have previously owned a C1 and 107 for a combined 6.5 years and both were totally reliable and ultra cheap to run, excepting their limitations and 9 year age.

Having test driven the new i10 at the weekend I was pretty disappointed considering the hype. Don't know if it was just a bad demo but there was a fairly loud whooshing sound coming from the engine bay that didn't seem to be anything to do with the A/C or blower and a very bad rattle from the rear passenger door area.

But worse than that for me were the steering and brakes. The steering was way too light and loose for me and lighter than a Fiat Punto in city mode. The brakes were were just too sharp and I couldn't modulate them to save my life.

These two (important) things took all my concentration and I couldn't even evaluate anything else about the car on the short test drive.....

I really need to have a go in a Citigo but am in a quandary because the only dealer in my city have recently been taking over by the group my current car comes from and I won't be giving them my business! I could be cheeky and have a go in a Mii/UP!, I guess.

One question I have is if I have a factory ordered Citigo, what is the current average wait?

I really need to have a go in a Citigo but am in a quandary because the only dealer in my city have recently been taking over by the group my current car comes from and I won't be giving them my business! I could be cheeky and have a go in a Mii/UP!, I guess.

You'll end up buying the Mii!  I was set on the Citigo but the deal on the Mii was too good to miss out on.

You'll end up buying the Mii!  I was set on the Citigo but the deal on the Mii was too good to miss out on.

If you are buying new, there are some good deals on the Toca special edition, which is a SE model with PID and reversing sensors.

Mii owners can still post here as you can see :happy:

Edited by fatbelly

I read the test earlier. It looks a bit weird as they've  reviewed the i10 against a Citigo SE but used a Citigo Sport for all the photos. So it mentions 'steel wheels and plastic trims' but the photos show lovely black alloys.

Auto Express I find is the automotive equivalent of the Daily Mail - "why let the truth get in the way of a good story"...

Glad to hear the VAG trio (by implication) are still the benchmark, almost 2 years after launch.

• Like 1

Auto Express I find is the automotive equivalent of the Daily Mail - "why let the truth get in the way of a good story"...

Glad to hear the VAG trio (by implication) are still the benchmark, almost 2 years after launch.

Don't you mean the guardian....

Problem seems to be that VW in their wisdom decreed that along with the Polo Gti, the Mk2 Fabia Vrs had to have a DSG box, (no manual option).  Many commentators in the journalistic motoring world considered that this was the monumental mistake that caused sales to flop. I wonder if VAG have learned the lesson? Certainly in the UK, people buying hot hatches don't in the main want autos.

The Up! GT was built with a six speed manual box.

I don't think it's about "learning the lesson" it's about bean counting - manuals are slowly going the way of all things - just look at the new Clio RS, way to destroy the legacy of one of the great drivers' cars... OK, so it's not all bad news when you have Ford creating the epic new FIesta ST, but surely the manual's days are numbered. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me but, I always thought the autos-only aspect of these cars was due to the neecessity of them squeezing into a certain emissions bracket somewhere.

On a related note, I always find it odd when hot hatches get slagged in the press off for having twin clutch autos yet the at the other end of the scale in supercar territory it's almost impossible to find a manual car these days (even the legendary open Ferrari gates are a thing of the past), yet the press never mention how it "lessens the driving experience" when they're testing those.

I suspect (and am largely guessing) that an auto box on a supercar will enable its averagely skilled owner to accelerate faster and better avoid losing control.

In the early 70s my Dad had a BMW '2002 tii' auto. I did enjoy that combination of power and auto. After a while you could anticipate exactly when it would change, or just pull the lever back to drop a cog manually. All good stuff :)

They mention 37 l more in the boot in the i10 compared to the Citigo in the article above. That cant be right? Isnt it just 1 l that seperate them? 251 vs 252 l.

Sent from my RM-825_eu_denmark_292 using Tapatalk

I'm amazed at the universal praise of the i10. I was really disappointed when I test drove one last week and driving (then ordering) a Mii this morning just rammed home the huge difference to me, especially the steering/brakes.

Call me a cynic but.....Money hats? Or is it the magazines feel they can't place the new kid on the block last in its first group test?

I'm amazed at the universal praise of the i10. I was really disappointed when I test drove one last week and driving (then ordering) a Mii this morning just rammed home the huge difference to me, especially the steering/brakes.

Call me a cynic but.....Money hats? Or is it the magazines feel they can't place the new kid on the block last in its first group test?

I told you that you would :thumbup:  

• 3 weeks later...

There is a 40 page special feature in next weeks edition just on the Skoda marque,called'Skoda,past present and future.10 key cars that defined the brand,plus why its now so big in Britain'.There is a picture of the 10 cars and right at the front is a nice red Citigo Sport!.

• Like 3