Skoda prices.......eeehhhhhh

I don't understand why anyone would buy new anyway (excluding HP, PCP etc.).

£30,000 for a Skoda, Audi, VW or any other manufacturer is crazy, that's thirty - thousand - pounds!

I bought my one owner, 12 month old, 14,000 mile mid spec Superb for £12,000 and even that was painful :giggle:

totally agree, let some other mug take the depreciation hit :D

Oh, and the reason Skoda's are now so expensive is because you buggers are buying them!

Go and buy somewhere else and leave me to enjoy my cheap re-badged VW!

Sorry. :giggle:

• Like 3

But Audi are two brands up supposedly.

Skoda prices are getting close to VW.

To be expected though.

Supply and demand, they are in business to earn money, not just supply people with bargains.

In some cases (service cost within Skoda's service network) may overcome VW.

Can always by used I guess. I am actually in favour of buying a year old car for example as still fairly fresh but would hopefully have had any issues sorted. Never been bothered about personal spec of cars myself. Would rather save money. Was looking at maybe getting a Focus Titanium 1.0 Ecoboost 125 (as love the engine) and year old ones are about £7k under list. That is big money.

The Korean cars are good but a bit plasticky. Dacia seem to have got the budget stuff sown up in Europe and may do so here. £8k for a Sandero with the same ultra modern 0.9 litre 90 bhp triple turbo as a £15K Renault is brilliant. And 15k for a top of the range Logan 4 x 4 (basically a re-bodied Nissan Quashquai) is very good also.

Skoda are getting very rich in their prices indeed. I love the new Octavia and think a midrange Octy estate with the 1.4 140 TSI is probably the best family car out there at the mo but it is expensive :(

So you aren't comparing like for like!

To get the same accessories such as fitted to a top-of-the-range Yeti in an equivalent Audi, then the Audi is going to cost considerably more than £30k. More like £38k, as I said.

The problem is that people don't look at the true comparison, just their conceived end figure.

And note that I have never said Skoda are cheap, however if compared with a more realistic competitor, such as Kia, then they are about equal.

I know but I was paraphrasing the OP 's point ;-)

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

I don't understand why anyone would buy new anyway (excluding HP, PCP etc.).

£30,000 for a Skoda, Audi, VW or any other manufacturer is crazy, that's thirty - thousand - pounds!

I don't understand why anyone would buy a new car on HP or PCP, you pay all that money to never own the car, if you can afford to actually buy the car, why not just buy a used one. I think it says more about to perceived status symbol of having a new reg more than anything else.

• Like 1

I don't understand why anyone would buy a new car on HP or PCP, you pay all that money to never own the car, if you can afford to actually buy the car, why not just buy a used one. I think it says more about to perceived status symbol of having a new reg more than anything else.

Status symbol?

We are talking about Skodas... :)

• Like 2

Every car I've has on PCP has got me money come change time. It's been worth more than what I've got left to pay after 3 years, so I get some equity.

And it's looking like it'll be the same story with the Superb

You also get three years of warranty (peace of mind) and know the history of the car (accidents, repairs, warranty work, etc.). You also get to choose the exact specification and model (if you're prepared to wait for factory order) and colour too.

Also if you're borrowing to purchase, often manufacturer subsidised finance is cheaper than bank loans meaning it can be cheaper overall to buy new than nearly new.

We paid £20.2K for our new Yeti 170 Elegance in 2010 and sold it three and a bit years later with 44K miles for just under £14.8K. So that's £5.4K depreciation over three & a bit years, plus finance charges. I wouldn't call that expensive.

Kia are actually quite expensive, Hyundai too.

My mate looked and then ended up buying a used Passat.

He doesn't like the passat. It's fully loaded but he says it's just not 'right'.

• Like 1

I don't think is limitied to Skoda, IMHO most new car prices look expensive. £30k on a Yeti? I'm not even sure how much I'd be earning before I thought it were acceptable to be spending £30k on a car. £80k? £100k? More?

Kia are actually quite expensive, Hyundai too.

My mate looked and then ended up buying a used Passat.

He doesn't like the passat. It's fully loaded but he says it's just not 'right'.

I haven't looked seriously at buying a new car but when I've glanced at both Golf and Passat used cars, I'm surprised how much you get for your money. Especially compared to some of the used Skoda prices you see.

I don't think is limitied to Skoda, IMHO most new car prices look expensive. £30k on a Yeti? I'm not even sure how much I'd be earning before I thought it were acceptable to be spending £30k on a car. £80k? £100k? More?.

I can't see that, but maybe that means I don't share your viewpoint.

My Yeti 170CR 4x4 Elegance with all the extras other than the sunroof would now be just under £30k I think.

But at 2 years old mine is worth around £16k in PX.

So that's a £14k loss in two years.  So in your example that's less than 10% of your salary.

I very much doubt all the people on here buying/financing new Skodas are earning 10 times the early yearly depreciation.

That would put your average Octavia VRS owner on around £60k IMO.

I can't see that, but maybe that means I don't share your viewpoint.

My Yeti 170CR 4x4 Elegance with all the extras other than the sunroof would now be just under £30k I think.

But at 2 years old mine is worth around £16k in PX.

So that's a £14k loss in two years. So in your example that's less than 10% of your salary.

I very much doubt all the people on here buying/financing new Skodas are earning 10 times the early yearly depreciation.

That would put your average Octavia VRS owner on around £60k IMO.

£7,000 a year in depreciation - For nomal people, a normal rate taxpayer would need to earn £10,300 gross, a higher rate taxpayer £12,000 gross. That's a LOT of money and I too would doubt that the average Octy VRS owner is on £60,000.

I wouldn't normally look at depreciation on a 2 year basis as it shows new car buying to be a mugs game.

Edited by 'daiking'

£7,000 a year in depreciation - For nomal people, a normal rate taxpayer would need to earn £10,300 gross, a higher rate taxpayer £12,000 gross. That's a LOT of money and I too would doubt that the average Octy VRS owner is on £60,000.

I wouldn't normally look at depreciation on a 2 year basis as it car buying to be a mugs game.

But in truth it's a matter of opinion based on income and desires.

Mugs game or not, I believe it depends on your priorities, spare income and desire to have a new car.

People will never agree on what other people buy. :)

Mugs game or not, I believe it depends on your priorities, spare income and desire to have a new car.

And slightly random but for context, there are approximately 1,000,000 full-time working normal men in the country who earn £60k plus. Edited by 'daiking'

Yes and no.

People are free to spend their money as they wish but I don't think the vast majortity of people appreciate the sort of sums of money they are commiting to.

and not just cars.

I won't buy new again. The only people getting new cars now that I know are doing them through a business to avoid VAT.

I pass a Vauxhall dealership on my way to work now. That red Astra with the fancy wheels looks pretty good for nowhere near £30k. 

We have an Astra Elite top of the range with electric everything. New it was over 27k 3 years ago. would I have another one? No way. Thats why we're collecting a Yeti on Monday. I can honestley say it is the most forgettable thing to drive even with the 2 litre diesel. Fast yes fuel consumption terrible, build quality questionable. I always think if its a good car you will become attached to it. The astra I don't think I will even look back at it one last time when we walk into the Skoda dealership. Not a bad car just a nothing one.

I won't buy new again. The only people getting new cars now that I know are doing them through a business to avoid VAT.

I might be new again but it's more likely to be something like a Dacia than a mid-range European car. Used car otherwise.

I've just started looking for a replacement for the Greenline three years old in Sep and will have done over 60k miles by then and have been surprised how expensive every car is.

Scary isn't it? For the money we paid for our Passat seven years ago I can now only get a Golf.