Fan noise staying on after ignition is turned off

Well for one it has nothing to do with DPFs as your Octy doesn't have one.

More than likely a goosed relay f0r the fans or a dicky temperature sensor.

Pretty certain the control for the fans on the MkII Octy are in the actual fan surround on the rad and are prone to going wrong, but normally they just stay off, not stick on.

I got mine on Friday and when I pulled into Lakeside car park I had a regen happen. 

I knew what is was from the smell but was surprised it happened so quickly.

I have had no problems since i took the fuse out. Is it ok to disable the fans permanently, I live in N Ireland, it's always cold here!

The fans are needed for cooling the engine & also for the intercooler & AC heat exchange so I would say its not a good idea to remove the fuse for the fans.

When driving around town or in traffic the fans may run at lower speeds to give adequate air-flow through the engine bay.

The engine should still protect itself (it will become torque limited if the coolant temperature or intercooler temperature becomes too hot) but you may find that the power is unecessarily limited because the fans aren't running.

• Like 1

The fans are needed for cooling the engine & also for the intercooler & AC heat exchange so I would say its not a good idea to remove the fuse for the fans.

When driving around town or in traffic the fans may run at lower speeds to give adequate air-flow through the engine bay.

The engine should still protect itself (it will become torque limited if the coolant temperature or intercooler temperature becomes too hot) but you may find that the power is unecessarily limited because the fans aren't running.

Thanks for the info, I plan to get it fixed so I contacted a auto electrician who tells me I may need either a temp sensor or control module. 

Will update when i have it repaired

Just an update about the radiator fan problem i was having. The Temp sensor looked dry & I decided against replacing the costly control module.

My auto electrician is planning to install a relay switch which makes the fan only able to come on when engine is running.

Will let you know if it works.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late update, an auto electrician installed a relay switch so that the radiator fan will only operate when the engine is running. It seem to be working perfectly since. Quick & easy job.

Sorry for the late update, an auto electrician installed a relay switch so that the radiator fan will only operate when the engine is running. It seem to be working perfectly since. Quick & easy job.

But it will eventually end in tears.

Third...

Sounds like an especially bad idea with a TDI. Having the fan turn off if the car has been undergoing DPF regen sounds like a recipe for disaster. It should be able to run for several minutes after the engine is turned off.

Edited by kallekilponen

You are making me worried lads.

My car is a 2004 Octavia with no DPF, the fan works fine with the engine running, the relay only cuts the power after the engine is turned off.

Surely the engine should cool naturally then, and dont forget i live in northern ireland, it's always freezing!