Columbus & the latest firmware

Went out with VCDS this afternoon and found :-

My Fabia is showing as a 3T0 035 680 B  H52 running 4024

My Octavia is showing as a 3T0 035 680 A running  H05 running 1304

Both have access to the secret memory to show versions installed

I would agree and there are improvements in terms of functionality including full postcode searching.

The only things to be mindful of is the possibilty of battery drain and the fact you will need to reinstall maps and music. How old is the car? Anything later than 07 or so you should be ok. And do you have a map disc?

Adam

AFAIK & can recall without checking, Brimma's Octavia is an '08.

If in wrong, then Adam's comments should be heeded (especially if it's an early '07 or earlier plate).

Also just noted that the part number came off the hidden menu. This can become changed after a firmware upgrade and may not be the base / original hardware part number.

I'm now downloading this version of 4120 to try.

There is a comment below the download from someone who has the same HW version as mine (3T0...A HW06) and there was a pretty definitive 'Yes you can' to the same question.

Wish me luck.

Or do I go for the Factory Origin 4120 firmware from GPS Underground?

I'm still not sure there is a 5xxx firmware that I can use... Although I hear rumour of a 53xx firmware modified by Josi for older units. Just a rumour though as I have no link.

Did you get this done Karl? If so do you have the same problem I had, in that POIs don't show

I've burnt it to disc ready to try, but haven't yet.

Reason is that I want to get the OPS working again so that I can take a photograph of the 'before and after' display as I believe this is supposed to change.

I'll also document any other changes I notice (e.g. Radio text display) as I haven't seen any decent pictures to support the upgrade.

When I do, I'll check the POI's and report back with all the info.

Assuming that it doesn't fry my motherboard...

• Like 1

That was a tactful way of me saying I reversed into a wall damaging my rear bumper and severing the wires to the NSR outer sensor!

New bumper sprayed and awaiting collection. Just need time to take the old one off, fit a towbar while it's off, repair the wires & refit.

I'll run the towbar electrics as far as the rear seats to start with and finish that off another day.

I've burnt it to disc ready to try, but haven't yet.

Reason is that I want to get the OPS working again so that I can take a photograph of the 'before and after' display as I believe this is supposed to change.

I'll also document any other changes I notice (e.g. Radio text display) as I haven't seen any decent pictures to support the upgrade.

When I do, I'll check the POI's and report back with all the info.

Assuming that it doesn't fry my motherboard...

I'll take a picture tomorrow to show what it looks like now if you want. I still have 4120 installed. I haven't had a chance to change anything yet, plus, I can't decide whether to go back to 39** , 4020, or 7918 maps and leave 4120 on.

All fingers and toes crossed here that you don't fry your motherboard

Thanks ashfan.

John999boy: It was a moment of poor concentration: no excuses.

Apart from the Columbus being soooooooooo slow to start up properly!

Brimma

It will yes and you will need to reinstall a map disk, pref 7.2 or above to maximise functionality.

Adam

Thanks

I thought I'd read somewhere that you had to go to 39xx first, before going up to 40xx, or did I dream that

I tried running the 4020 on the Octavia when I did the Fabia, but the Octavia didn't want to know

Thanks

I thought I'd read somewhere that you had to go to 39xx first, before going up to 40xx, or did I dream that

I tried running the 4020 on the Octavia when I did the Fabia, but the Octavia didn't want to know

You may have to go to 381x first to establish the three partitions.

Mine is a 3T0...A unit (HW:06 SW:2724) and is running 402x without issue. I did go to 381x first (as that was the latest available at the time I got my Columbus).

I believe these units from HW:04 onwards will accept 412x firmware, but maybe not.

You may have to go to 381x first to establish the three partitions.

Mine is a 3T0...A unit (HW:06 SW:2724) and is running 402x without issue. I did go to 381x first (as that was the latest available at the time I got my Columbus).

I believe these units from HW:04 onwards will accept 412x firmware, but maybe not.

I'll have a hunt for the 38xx link then, thanks

I would normally say go to 'My GTi' but their link to the unmodified 3810 firmware is down...

I'll PM you.

I've tracked one down KB, thanks, burnt to disc, now to try.......wish me luck

What is the radio text like?

Here you go Adam. I decided to do a small video to show how it changes.

I don`t want any comments about the choice of music, I have no control over what Radio 2 decide to play.

http://s148.photobucket.com/user/davemazo/media/Maxidot/20140201_1456191_zpsda74f162.mp4.html

• Like 2