Car Magazines ,which do you rate?

7029bob

As header ,whats your view and recommendations ?

I've found "What Car" not so good on their reviews but price guide helpful.

I take "Which" and find it excellent for car reviews, maybe this is because the info comes from actual owners and not wannabes.

Just my opinions of course:

What Car: How do they get away with £4.99 for about 100 "new" pages only; every month...!

Autocar: If it ain't BMW there are not interested.

Car: As above but glossier and boy do they love themselves..!

Evo: Irrelevant unless you are a supercar owner or really really must read about them.

Top Gear: Haven't read it for years....is it still for kids...?

Auto Express: OK for news items, takes about 30 mins to read.

...and that is about the extent of my knowledge on "modern" car mags..... I enjoy reading Classic Cars myself but appreciate that it may not be of interest to all..oh & you do have to enjoy a lot of Quentin Wilson on a monthly basis. 

The only "car" related magazine I read is "Motorsport" - as I got a stupidly good subscription deal some years ago, £5 per quarter.

I used to have CAR but got bored of it quite quickly.

I still get the odd copy of Evo when the subscription offers are on. I'll never own a million pounds supercar, but it's interesting to read about them and the pictures and locations are usually good.

Auto Express turns up once a week and I usually have to read four or five at once.

• Like 1

My opinionis that most magazines follow a similar route, irrespective of what section they are in with motoring magazines being no different. The main 2 objectives being to sell copies and please their advertisers so I think the journos write with this in mind. I also subscribe to which to see what actual owners think which was one of the places that influenced me when I bought my 1st Skoda. I do like watching Chris Harris on youtube.... If only!

• Like 1

I subscribe to EVO magazine. It is fantastic. The quality of journalism is second to none and the photos and layout are brilliant. It is a lovely, lovely read. Sure, a lot of it is about cars out of my reaches but they convey the experiences so well that its like I am there with them. Also, they do feature more "normal" new cars, but only the interesting ones. So no 1.6TDi road tests here. 

I picked up a copy of CAR magazine recently and found it was alright. I quite liked it, but lacked a certain amount of spark that EVO has. 

Only other magazine I subscribe to Practical Classics. 

• Like 1

Wish there was a mag that did from new to 3 years ownerships, without being biased or in the pockets of the Manufacturer and pitched for the CUSTOMER interest when buying new or 2nd hand.

Investigate issues that Manufactures don't like being exposed, e.g. The VW 1.4TSI 187 bhp ENGINE etc. , and make them more accountable. 

Would like to see Autocar , Autoexpress, Evo etc picking up readers comments against reviews on New or Longterm reviews.

• Like 1

I grew up reading my dads and uncles Car and Safer Motoring (VW) magazines.

I am not sure what it's like now, but Car magazine had fantastic articles by the giant motoring writers of the day like LJK Setright, Phil Llewellyn, George Bishop etc. These guys could write and you didn't really care if it included cars, though it normally did.

I recall Safer Motoring being rather concerned at VW producing a car that didn't have an air-cooled engine (the VW K70).

• Like 1

evo.

that is all.

have subscribed ever since I picked up a copy 11 years ago in an airport as "something to read on holiday" and was intrigued by a "New Impreza vs Clio 192" headline

Subscription has just lapsed and am going to take another - probably with the new electronic version which features all their videos and extra features.

• Like 1

EVO and car. Both are historically entwined. Autocar I loathe, especially the tedious Cropley. Considering how much time he spends wining and dining with the automotive leaders, he appears to know little about the real industry. Automotive News Intl is so much more interesting.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Edited by stever750

Used to subscribe to Auto Express but got bored of it. Switched to Evo but got bored of that too. Now just read honest john and some others on the web.