Brake holding when at the lights?

Ive read the manual and can't find anything but I've noticed that if at the lights with foot on the brake,, when I take it off it holds on its own for half a second or so and then the car rolls back.

Is this some form of electronic assist to prevent roll backs and assist at junctions/lights.

Quite like the feature if I'm honest.

It's going to be odd having this.
I'm so used to lifting the clutch up to the biting point enough to stop the car from rolling back, then moving my foot from brake to accelerator and applying the gas while lifting the clutch the rest of the way that this will feel pretty strange at first.

Hmmmm. That might be tricky, I'm a left foot braker, does keep the launch control available at all times. Regards T

On my current car (GTD with DSG) this is not noticeable really...foot of the brake, foot on the gas and go. If you haven't used it before it will take you no time at all to get used to it.

As someone who's never used it, it's taken me 3 days to even know it was there so don't worry about it causing issues for you (in my view anyway). Since i noticed it I've relaxed how quickly I go from brake to accelerator at lights and junctions, thumbs up from me.

On my current car (GTD with DSG) this is not noticeable really...foot of the brake, foot on the gas and go. If you haven't used it before it will take you no time at all to get used to it.

DSG's can't roll backwards when in D in the same way that they can't roll forwards when in R.  Same for all autos.

Totally different system to hill hold assist in a manual.

I love it except when trying to roll forwards when reversing uphill!

This annoyed me at first, all you need is a quick blip on the throttle pedal and the brakes release rather than wait the 2 seconds for them to release them self.

Try driving a DSG without HHC, its not overly pleasant!

a DSG or a 'normal' automatic? 

Surely they're both the same except the DSG has 2 clutches, 2 sets of gears, same operation other than that.

I've driven plenty of Auto's and never once had a problem on a hill start... they CAN'T roll backwards when they're in D.

What makes the DSG so different on a hill when setting off in drive without HHC, how does it allow the gearbox to run backwards (which would make the engine turn the other way also!)?

The only reason a manual will roll backwards is that the clutch is pressed in, once released a manual won't roll backwards.. exactly the same physics apply.

The clutches disengage, and engine revs drop to idle, when the brake pedal is fully depressed so theoretically removing pressure from the brake pedal suddenly could allow the vehicle to roll back while the engine revs rise and clutches re-engage, although how far it would actually move I couldn't say as I only have experience of a DSG with hill hold.

If the brake pedal is partially released the engine revs rise, the clutches re-engage and the car won't roll back when the brake pedal is fully released.

What makes the DSG so different on a hill when setting off in drive without HHC, how does it allow the gearbox to run backwards (which would make the engine turn the other way also!)?

The point is moot, you cannot get a DSG without HHC. And there's no way to disable it either, afaik.

Does the HHC offer any advantages over simply using the handbrake for hill starts?

I have noticed from looking at the brake lights of those in front that few people seem to bother with the handbrake at lights, even on a slope.

It was different in my day etc....

Old Codger

Considering you don't have an electric handbrake in the Octavia, you'd still keep your foot on the brake regardless (since the manual suggests to keep it in D, not N). So again a moot point really... HHC would be useful every single time since every single time you're sitting on the brakes while stopped (slope or not).

Edited by TudorM

Just got back in and tryed HHC out it seems to only work when my DSG box is in 'D' and stops the car rolling back as you take your foot of the brake and the Stop/Start system restarts the car. If stop start is switched of then the auto box will creep the car foward but in 'N' the car will always roll backwards regardless.

On a downwards slope you will always roll downhill.

HHC is there for part of the Stop/Start system and a car without Stop/Start does not need HHC as the auto box will slip the cluch and hold you their.

Hand book says 2nds of braking in HHC mode.

Rrgards

Colin.