2014 2.0 TDI 150PS Dyno Results

The s3 is quick but seems devoid of character like the s4 nice quick car but no character in my opinion .

The golf has some not loads but some and at a price that's good value in my opinion

The 135 is ugly small interior, if they had the m235i when I bought the golf then I would have tested that! As two door or 3 door golf mmmm

I like the amg a class I drove that and loved it but 50k no way I personally think it's 10k too much sure merc won't agree !

Personally the vrs octi was on the list but the mrs liked the elegance so we both got what we wanted.

The s3 is quick but seems devoid of character like the s4 nice quick car but no character in my opinion .

The golf has some not loads but some and at a price that's good value in my opinion

The 135 is ugly small interior, if they had the m235i when I bought the golf then I would have tested that! As two door or 3 door golf mmmm

I like the amg a class I drove that and loved it but 50k no way I personally think it's 10k too much sure merc won't agree !

Personally the vrs octi was on the list but the mrs liked the elegance so we both got what we wanted.

Whilst the Octavia vRS is not in the same league performance wise as either the BMWM135i or the Audi S3 / Golf R it is certainly remarkable value for money for what it is. All the more so when compared with a similarly powered Audi A3. Yes, I think bland some up the S3, but for some strange reason I wouldn't accuse the A3, Golf GTi, type R, Octavia vRS or BMW M135i of being bland.

Not really sure I agree with the 1 series hatch being ugly; its alot better looking than the car that came before it.

Looks rather unremarkable in standard trim but the M Sport cars look v nice, the M135i again suitably (and tastefully) pumped up; restrained but purposeful.

I think they are a bit colour sensitive though; dark colours (particularly black) suit them best.

The M235i I must confess looks good from the front but more awkward than the hatch from other angles IMO...its also less practical. That the 235 has 3hp more (5ps) is neither here nor there and its bound to be considerably more expensive both in list price and lack of dealer discount.

The Drexler diff that is to be offered as an option for the 235 will become an option for the 1 as well and can be retrofitted to earlier cars if so desired; though id say for real world driving it doesnt really need one.

Pipsyp, I can & can't agree with you, I saw a M235 on my drive home yesterday and no its not ugly, its Fugly.

I'll never cease to be amazed by how some people can be influenced by marketing and/or public opinion/peer pressure but, it does explain to me why marketing people make so much money.

Regards

T

Pipsyp, I can & can't agree with you, I saw a M235 on my drive home yesterday and no its not ugly, its Fugly.I'll never cease to be amazed by how some people can be influenced by marketing and/or public opinion/peer pressure but, it does explain to me why marketing people make so much money.RegardsT

Fair comment I suppose.....i dont think the regular mk3 octavia is a particularly fantastic looking vehicle, its not ugly but its pretty dull in truth but I still bought and drive one and like it very much.

Looks aint everything...particularly when it has a masterclass of a 320hp turbo straight six, rear wheel drive and a reasonable amount of development input from the M division in a Golf size car that doesnt cost a great deal more to buy than a Golf GTi real world. Just a shame its tiny and my work wont give me a fuel card on anything over 2.5 litres.

.....also I am perhaps a little biased as my old man has one. Hoping maybe ill get family rates on it as and when he gets bored of it which I suspect wont be anytime that soon!

Edited by pipsyp

Don't think I've ever taken the engine in my Octavia above 2,500 RPM!

Oh the joys of a manual box.

In a DSG in sport mode it doesn't let you go below 1900rpm and most of the time changes gear between 3,500 and 4,000 rpm.

DSG + Diesel + Sport = nasty, nasty, nasty.

'sport' mode needs replacing with 'slightly improved throttle response with lots of noise' mode.

How else would you expect Sport mode to work? Why would it go below 1900rpm when max torque comes from 1750 rpm and why should it change before 3500-4000rpm when that's where max power is? That's the whole point of the gearbox program, maximum performance at the expense of comfort and economy.

Get back into D you... :)

PS: Or just use the paddles?

• 2 weeks later...

Spec the sports suspension when ordering, the 17" wheels come with 225/45/17 rubber (plenty), DSG box, one of Andrews magic boxes and possibly a 312mm brake upgrade................ Bobs your uncle.

My cars are supplied by my company and the Vrs is just out of reach.......but 445nm............what a result for the enthusiastic Sales Rep!!!!

Have to say K.Young that I am coming round to the idea of turning my car into a near 200hp sleeper with one of these little beauties at some point; be v amusing.

Do you think it'd be reasonably straightforward to fit the vRS front brakes to a regular car....reasonably expensive perhaps but possible?

Agree guess the 312mm upgrade would happily do the job and you'd probably not need new callipers.

Have to say K.Young that I am coming round to the idea of turning my car into a near 200hp sleeper with one of these little beauties at some point; be v amusing.

Do you think it'd be reasonably straightforward to fit the vRS front brakes to a regular car....reasonably expensive perhaps but possible?

Agree guess the 312mm upgrade would happily do the job and you'd probably not need new callipers.

The calipers will be the same, you will need a set of 312mm discs and a set of carriers to suit (these are not cheap)

I am not sure, but if the brakes are the same as the Mk2 Octy/Golf /A3/Leon it will be a lot cheaper to do.

Maybe someone in the know can answer this.

It's not so much the BHP increase that got my attention but the massive increase over stock Torque!!

Tapatalked from my G PAD 8.3

I just noticed that you said Vrs brakes, I think these are bigger than 312mm on the Mk3 Octy (345mm maybe)

I think a 312mm upgrade would be plenty.

Tapatalked from my G PAD 8.3

this post confuses me somewhat. Probably because I rate the latest S3 very highly indeed - tbh I think it's probably the best real world quick hatch out there currently. You say you can't go from hot hatch from a sports car and expect the same - you you can't as they are a different class of car IMO. The hot hatch is more liveable day to day with a useable boot and room for four people in fair comfort. It's also serviceable round the corner and cheaper to run in most respects. I never felt a problem with turbo lag in it either so I'm wondering if the one you drove had an issue?

I don't think the S3 is the most fun or on the edge driving experience but how many people actually want that from their daily driver?

It's very fast, useable car for the average road user. Grip and composure are excellent.

As for lag? Yes it has some, it's a turbo car but problematic lag? No

Yes NA cars will be better for no lag that's obvious but nobody is asking to compare an Na to turbo

I think the S3 offers a fair amount and most of the reviews have been very positive indeed. Ultimate driving hot hatch no it's not that

• Like 1

As for lag? Yes it has some, it's a turbo car but problematic lag? No

t

If the example I drove is typical then the turbo lag is a major problem to anyone used to a car with accurate and progressive throttle response. A prerequisite in any car pretending to be a "driver's car" surely?

Well that's your opinion. I don't see it as a major issue nor a major problem. It's getting great reviews but I guess everyone is wrong.

If you drive it properly I don't get a problem. As I say it has some but not a problem at all.

I had a v8 so know what an NA is like. Just about all hot hatches are turbo, buy one if you are in the market too if not don't. Which one you buy is all about which fit your needs

Well that's your opinion. I don't see it as a major issue nor a major problem. It's getting great reviews but I guess everyone is wrong.

If you drive it properly I don't get a problem. As I say it has some but not a problem at all.

I had a v8 so know what an NA is like. Just about all hot hatches are turbo, buy one if you are in the market too if not don't. Which one you buy is all about which fit your needs

Not all the reviews of the S3 have been that good, in fact some reviews have said that the sister Golf R is better set up. The fact you "had a V8" doesn't really mean very much.

Sadly the S3 I drove was a very blunt tool and not even close to what it should be. Maybe I should try another one or the Golf R that has the same engine - as that one may have had a fault. Trying to compare with a naturally aspirated and more powerful sports car that I would normally use for fun driving was also unfair expecting anything close to the same degree of satisfaction and precision.

I guess some of us set higher standards than others when it comes to cars.....

Edited by Timoctav

Or it just doesn't suit you??

I'm sure your not the be all and end all in motoring opinion so let others make up their own mind.

I'm sure every car wasn't designed to please you

As for the v8 comment I was neurally pointing out I have driven high powered NA engines as well but that's beyond you aswell

I've not seen any scathing reviews but that said I'm far from saying it's the perfect car

Unlike your sports car. We know you don't like it to be honest I'd not try and change your opinion. Leave it be and accept you don't like it. No point wasting your own time testing a car you dislike

• Like 1

I guess some of us set higher standards than others when it comes to cars.....

Ha great comment, sums you up

Think we can avoid the school ground comments or intentions

Ha great comment, sums you up

Think we can avoid the school ground comments or intentions

You asked for it by the inference that I didn't know how to drive by the comment "if you drive it properly" and other sarcastic comments. well I did drive it properly and I still didn't like it.

Just as well we don't all like the same things I suppose.

You asked for it by the inference that I didn't know how to drive by the comment "if you drive it properly" and other sarcastic comments. well I did drive it properly and I still didn't like it.

Just as well we don't all like the same things I suppose.

Was in no way sarcastic, keep in turbo range was meant. Comes with driving a car more. Hot hatches are a compromise

?......Hot hatches are a compromise

Yes, they are indeed, more than I was expecting. Even the BMW M135i I found disappointing but for different reason. When we trade my wife's shopping trolley and my sports car in eventually we'll look for something completely different with less sportng overtones. A BMW X3 or 335d Touring X Drive might be better suited.

I have had s5 v8 ,s4 v6 sc ,porsche 911 991 s ,and now a golf gti !

Ok I can see you eyebrows raised lol

The 911 was awesome but bankrupted me,so a new family calls ,golf gti pp has fitted the bill,if you spank it it's great,if you want comfort then it's a button press away.i couldn't get the looks m135i and the a class amg was way too much so the golf looks good built well and I enjoy driving it! The main thing in my humble opinion ,drive what you want and be happy .

But the car I miss is the s5 v8 just a lovely car

Right noise,went well,nice seats

S4 quicker but oh it didn't have character !

Basically one mans great car another's mmm not so sure! You pays ya money if your lucky your find a car you love to own and drive

N

BUT it's not always easy to find or keep !

I have had s5 v8 ,s4 v6 sc ,porsche 911 991 s ,and now a golf gti !

Ok I can see you eyebrows raised lol

The 911 was awesome but bankrupted me,so a new family calls ,golf gti pp has fitted the bill,if you spank it it's great,if you want comfort then it's a button press away.i couldn't get the looks m135i and the a class amg was way too much so the golf looks good built well and I enjoy driving it! The main thing in my humble opinion ,drive what you want and be happy .

But the car I miss is the s5 v8 just a lovely car

Right noise,went well,nice seats

S4 quicker but oh it didn't have character !

Basically one mans great car another's mmm not so sure! You pays ya money if your lucky your find a car you love to own and drive

N

BUT it's not always easy to find or keep !

Very well put. S5 is lovely. Miss my 5 but A6 I had was surprisingly good.

As you say find a car for you that's what it's about :)

we took the Skoda vRS  back to the dyno again this weekend, it now has 3,800 miles on the clock and it seams to be loosening up nicely..

This should be of interest to a few of you :)

This run was using map 3 plus 1...

OCTAVIA_240_zps08a0a777.jpg

240bhp and 372.4lbft / 505nm!! at 2625rpm

we then ran it on the usual map 4 plus 1.

SKODA_MAP4_zps8a1f7d22.jpg

237bhp and 370.7lbft / 504nm at 2306rpm

• Like 1