2014 2.0 TDI 150PS Dyno Results

Look, we'll easily settle this.

I'll come down, you can do a stock dyno run. Put a box on and do another dyno run.

For my trouble I'll just go home with the box on! :happy:

Be careful you'll get accused of trying to bribe me lol

According to Autocar (22nd January) who dyno tested their long term Seat Leon with the same 2.0 litre 150 bhp engine they got 160.2 bhp and 259 lb / ft torque (Surrey Rolling Road). With the comment "VW Group cars usually develop higher outputs than claimed". Even so, achieving 196.1 bhp / 327.8 lb / ft is quite an impressive improvement.

Edited by Timoctav
  • Like 2

Map 4 plus 1 produced the figures above ;)

Andrew, I do an awful lot of mileage. Is 4 + 1 a very aggressive setting or is it a fairly "sturdy" map (if you get my meaning)

According to Autocar (22nd January) who dyno tested their long term Seat Leon with the same 2.0 litre 150 bhp engine they got 160.2 bhp and 259 lb / ft torque (Surrey Rolling Road). With the comment "VW Group cars usually develop higher outputs than claimed". Even so, achieving 196.1 bhp / 327.8 lb / ft is quite an impressive improvement.

It's the flat torque curve which I think is most impressive, that thing would be a quick little Golf,Octy,Leon,A3.

• Like 1

In fact, what's the peak torque when set to 4 + 1? :)

The peak torque was 327.8/9lbft ..

We did run another file which produced 194.1bhp at 3396 against the 196.1 at 3491.

The 2nd file also produced 327.8lbft but at 1884rpm against 2015rpm produced by the file used in the graph above

image_zps07928c4b.jpg

Edited by Andrew@DTUK

I don't know a huge amount on chipping an engine, but I do recall a conversation with a friend a couple of years ago on the subject.  He worked in the automotive industry testing engines for manufacturers.  What he told me was quite interesting.  Yes, it is relatively simple to increase the performance of an engine, especially the diesels by remapping the computer. But this would have an effect on the engine, such as cooling, I think he also said something about  the exhaust. Therefore the radiators, intercoolers etc are carefully matched to the engine and they test them (to destruction I believe), to ensure they are good for the duty cycle they are designed to perform. You shouldn't just "turn up the wick" without modifying the hardware to suit.  Basically, I was lead to believe that chipping is not good for the engine. He also said something about worse emission too, but I can't remember much detail on that. What he said sort of made sense to me.  Is there something I am missing Andrew@DTUK?

• Like 1

I don't know a huge amount on chipping an engine, but I do recall a conversation with a friend a couple of years ago on the subject.  He worked in the automotive industry testing engines for manufacturers.  What he told me was quite interesting.  Yes, it is relatively simple to increase the performance of an engine, especially the diesels by remapping the computer. But this would have an effect on the engine, such as cooling, I think he also said something about  the exhaust. Therefore the radiators, intercoolers etc are carefully matched to the engine and they test them (to destruction I believe), to ensure they are good for the duty cycle they are designed to perform. You shouldn't just "turn up the wick" without modifying the hardware to suit.  Basically, I was lead to believe that chipping is not good for the engine. He also said something about worse emission too, but I can't remember much detail on that. What he said sort of made sense to me.  Is there something I am missing Andrew@DTUK?

any mods that increase the output of the engine are obviously putting more strain on components; I think that's pretty much accepted by everyone. :)
  • Like 1

It would be actually more accurate to say politely you have no idea, you are missing the objective of the post... Are you interested In actually tuning your car?...

From what you have posted above I suspect you have little idea... 

Edited by SteveWCombivRS

Yes, you are missing the objective of the post... Are you interested In actually tuning your car?...

Here we go again   :think:

Yes, you are missing the objective of the post... Are you interested In actually tuning your car?...

I was very interested before until I spoke to my friend but I became concerned about warranty on a new car as well as the technical uncertainties.

Edited by ssfan

I was very interested before until I spoke to my friend but I became concerned about warranty on a new car as well as the technical uncertainties.

Hi ssfan,

As with any form of tuning you are going to place certain components under greater stresses, but most tuners take advantage of the tolerances the manufacturers leave behind .. So as long as the car is looked after you shouldn't have any more issues than you would of done in it's standard tune.

• Like 3

In fairness, and to answer the above... Technical uncertainties are negligible from the build of the engine as it is a well established platform.

(From VAG) point of view... So I would say 'no worries'...

Warranty is down to  your supplier I'm afraid...

• Like 1

Back on topic.............any body who understands..........am I wrong in saying that this is a very smooth looking graph and that it seems to be a great result from the 150CR engine ???

• Like 1

Back on topic.............any body who understands..........am I wrong in saying that this is a very smooth looking graph and that it seems to be a great result from the 150CR engine ???

I share your interest in understanding the graph and, of course, it certainly seems to me a great result but I'm a newbye at reading dyno charts. So I'm adding a couple of questions.

- How easy is to module on the throttle, given the massive increase on torque in such short a rpm range (from 1500 to about 1750)?

- And, given the decrease of torque after 3K, at what rpm would you guys advise to shift gear?

I would say with that amount of torque available I would rarely see above 2.5k (unless you where racing for honours on the motorway O:-))

Tapatalk'd from my HTC SXE

• Like 1

I would say with that amount of torque available I would rarely see above 2.5k (unless you where racing for honours on the motorway O:-)) Tapatalk'd from my HTC SXE

Don't think I've ever taken the engine in my Octavia above 2,500 RPM!

Tuning is probably not for you if you do not use half of the performance range already available.

Unless on tick-over I'm not sure mine every dropped below 2,500 ! certainly not on gear change anyway, could have been why I done two turbos and DMF in 60k miles, sure was fun though.  Hence, the DSG on my next one a free reving petrol.

Regards

T

• Like 1

Don't think I've ever taken the engine in my Octavia above 2,500 RPM!

What a pity ;)

Seriously, at least on older engines higher rpms were the main tool to "keep it clean" (EGR, and DPF). So, when the engine is warm, I rarely shift below 3K and - on the highways - I was more often on 4K :)

On the old PD you could fill the 4K wall, hopefully the latest CR has something left passed the 4K...

And... no whatsoever mechanical fault, clean turbo and EGRs, no troubles on DPF regen :)

When I gave the car back (about 180000 Km) "she" ran way better than new :)

Edited by Genoa1893