Low frequency 'boom' in cabin - Fixed

Well, took the car back to the dealer this week to have a suspension mod done as per Skoda UK's recommendation. This was supposed to fix the low frequency/resonance noise/rumble, but it hasn't made things any better in my opinion. They have offered to look at it again, so I'll wait and see and decide after a few days. Also had both front doors fixed as they rattled/creaked when travelling over less than perfect road surfaces so that's a small step in the right direction. I think I need to test drive a newer rapid and compare that to the ride I'm currently experiencing in mine. My guess is that I'll notice an immediate difference and the lack of that annoying low frequency/resonance noise. From what I've been hearing the spaceback and newer production rapids don't suffer from this affliction. For those who are interested the modification was made to the rear suspension only. It only took 30 minutes to do so not a big job by any means.  

Hi Paul,

What was the garage name and location? Also do you know what they did to "fix it"? Was this with Skoda UK's OK?

Bidey fae Perth

Hi...

The fix was something to do with the' bump stops' on the rear suspension, which didn't make any real difference to me. It was suggested by Skoda U.K. not the garage as I understand it, so they carried out the modification. This boomy noise/resonance that reverberates around the cabin is in my opinion just as much to do with the front suspension as the rear.

The Rapid seems to be set-up to give a very firm ride, which is aggressively damped whether its shocks or coil springs or a combination of the two that contribute to this characteristic as some would call it in the rapid.  I'll book the car in next week as the dealer Trust Skoda in Stourbridge has offered to look at it again, so they are at least trying to solve this issue for me.         

I too am suffering badly from the Rapid Boom. Took car back to the dealer who said they had the problem with other Rapids, and it needed  the boot adjusting.

This was carried out but has made no difference whatsoever. This boom becomes unbearable over rough surfaces and more noticeable at low speeds. 

I was told by the service manager that if this had not fixed the problem there was nothing else they could do, and I could try putting a thick rubber boot liner in . Not acceptable in my eyes, and very poor service from a Skoda dealer.

I too am suffering badly from the Rapid Boom. Took car back to the dealer who said they had the problem with other Rapids, and it needed  the boot adjusting.

This was carried out but has made no difference whatsoever. This boom becomes unbearable over rough surfaces and more noticeable at low speeds. 

I was told by the service manager that if this had not fixed the problem there was nothing else they could do, and I could try putting a thick rubber boot liner in . Not acceptable in my eyes, and very poor service from a Skoda dealer.

I have the think rubber boot mat and I also have that problematic boomy noise!

ALL,

This is raising its profile with all the reported incidences on this forum. IMO to a level where Skoda UK should be taking some action to investigate and implement a solution.

HOW DO WE ESCALATE THIS COLLECTIVELY AND GET SKODA's ATTENTION AND ACTION?????

Any suggestions are welcome and lets move this forward!

Bidey fae Perth

I want to love my Rapid!!! :<(

Hi there,

I don't own or drive a Skoda though i love their cars, I came across your site when i was researching cabin boom in cars. I am driving a month old Ford Figo as we call it ( Fiesta Mark V) with a TDI engine and have experienced the same cabin boom in this car.
I am losing sleep trying to get rid of the noise but can't figure out how to. I would like to share a few observations from my investigation.

The car booms when in motion over uneven surface.

The boom dissapears totally when i unlock the hatch and drive with it slightly ajar.

A few friends have pointed to the twist beam end and the coil springs and when the springs are banged upon with moderate force one can hear a similar booming noise inside the car even when stationary. I am yet to confirm if this is the same boom that creeps up though.

The experiment with opening the boot led me to beleive that the rear suspension is the origin of the noise and the rear hatch is amplifying them like a huge drum skin or woofer. When the hatch is unlocked it is similar to slackening the drum skin hence the boom goes away.

I am yet to find a solution to the problem.

If any one has solved the issue it would be nice if they could share it.

Thanks

Daniel

• Like 1

Having seen this mentioned all over the internet re Rapid / Toledo, it often seems to be tyre related.  Could those with (and without) the boom post on here Tyre brand, size, mileage (on those tyres) and Boom or Not - and we'll see if there are any trends.

e.g.

Continental Premium Contact 2 / 215/40r17 / 9000miles / No boom

Edited by camelspyyder

Drove 30 miles today and didn't notice any booming, but the same journey back again as a passenger I did notice a lot of booming.

We have the Sport with Dunlops. Also have spare when and non reversible boot floor.

I will do some more testing.

• Like 1

I can't really see a trend emerging here with respect to who has what tyres and what road noise you have in your Rapid. From what I've recently read on the internet (i.e reviews) when the Spaceback was launched it had revised suspension settings compared to the standard Rapid at that time. Apparently the spec for the coil springs remained the same but the dampers fitted to the Spaceback are different i.e. softer.

Most owners on here who have a Rapid registered in Sept 2013 or earlier do have the low frequency boom including me. I don't think the Spaceback suffers in the same way. It would be interesting to hear if any Spaceback owners on here have the same low frequency boom as some Rapid owners do.

I can't really see a trend emerging here with respect to who has what tyres and what road noise you have in your Rapid. From what I've recently read on the internet (i.e reviews) when the Spaceback was launched it had revised suspension settings compared to the standard Rapid at that time. Apparently the spec for the coil springs remained the same but the dampers fitted to the Spaceback are different i.e. softer.

Most owners on here who have a Rapid registered in Sept 2013 or earlier do have the low frequency boom including me. I don't think the Spaceback suffers in the same way. It would be interesting to hear if any Spaceback owners on here have the same low frequency boom as some Rapid owners do.

What tyres do you have Paul?

We do have at least one noisy Spaceback report on page 2

general opinion of sport maxx isnt great - noisy! http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Dunlop/SP-Sport-Maxx.htm

Edited by camelspyyder

Update : To work in the Polo today and the booming was there too to a certain extent.

I suffer from Temporomandibular disorder on and off and I must admit, I have had a bit of pain in my jaw and ear at the tail end of last week.

I think it must have been a coincidence of getting the new car and me having jaw issues that has made my head sensitive, as the Polo has never bothered me before.

I am supposed to wear a mouth guard each night to stop me grinding my teeth. I will have to dig it out and start using it again.

• Like 1

Interesting potential solution. Not sure if the same adjustments are available on the Rapid??? But will certainly look at this as possible solution to BOOMING.

Still concerned about my car. Found this link relating to buffeting.
I may get my dealer to check the fit of our hatch.

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/solution-pressure-buffeting-issue-some-cars

I don't think its the hatch. I had the car today and ran it with the boot clicked open. Same old vibrations in my head.

I don't think its the 17 inch wheels or tyres as many others have booming with different wheels and tyres.

I don't think its the parcel shelf, as have driven without it.

I DO think that some people are more sensitive to the effect than others. My wife hasn't got a clue what is causing me discomfort. She is fine.

Perhaps its the body insulation? The cars have little stuck on panels all over the place, I assume to absorb resonances. Perhaps more is required.

My next trial will be to layer a duvet in the boot and put the boot floor back on top of it. If that helps, I will then soundproof the boot metalwork with the sticky foam sound insulation.

Its such a shame. if it was not for this pain in my head, the car would be perfect.

I have tried to research this on the German Skoda Community:

http://www.skodacommunity.de/index.php?page=Index

However I don't read German and using Google translate is torture

Anybody on here read German?  If so could you spend 5 minutes with their search engine and see if anyone has an answer...

Edited by camelspyyder

Put lots of blankets under the boot floor with a picnic blanket on top and drove around. No difference.

Took it all out, put seats down and removed parcel shelf. Effect was MUCH worse.

Put all back to normal and drove with front windows down. All well, with no discomfort in my ears.

I've noticed the spare wheel hole is absolutely enormous. I'm still convinced it's got something to do with it. It must be a resonance.

Booked in to the dealers next Friday for a road test with a tech.