oil consumption - 2007 petrol VRs

hello folks,

as the per the title, does the VRs use a lot of oil?

I checked the oil the other day and the dip stick was bone dry, which is a tad worrying as the oil warning light hadn't come on!

I bought the car in September last year and the garage did a service, (they actually did do the service cause I checked the oil before I drove away and it was clean), and I've only done about 5k since then and it took a good 2ltrs or so before the level was right on the stick...

Should I be concerned?

Some do some don't. Imuse about a litre of oil for every 1000miles. Check it weekly, don't rely on the warning light as it will come on when you are miles from home or any oil. I keep oil in the boot just in case.

hello folks,

as the per the title, does the VRs use a lot of oil?

I checked the oil the other day and the dip stick was bone dry, which is a tad worrying as the oil warning light hadn't come on!

I bought the car in September last year and the garage did a service, (they actually did do the service cause I checked the oil before I drove away and it was clean), and I've only done about 5k since then and it took a good 2ltrs or so before the level was right on the stick...

Should I be concerned?

I wouldnt worry just check more regular :-)

Mine uses oil (5W 30) at  the rate of 1l per 1000 miles but when it was serviced about 5000 miles ago, they filled it with 0W 30 and it's only used 1l since then. Amazed that the different oil makes that much difference.

I'm just coming up to 10k and have nearly finished the 1 litre bottle of top up I bought when the car was new 15 months ago. 

Check mine most weeks to keep it near the max, but doesn't always warrant a splash.

Think that's pretty good.

My 06 tfsi used lots, more than a litre per 1000km. I swapped to 5w 40 which helped after it was remapped. 12 plate tsi uses relatively little, the harder I drive it the less it seems to use.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Mine normally needs a top up every 3-4 weeks (500-600 miles) and I normally top up 200-250ml. I've only had the vRS a few months though so still learning what it needs.

Some people have suggested only filling up to 2/3s of the dipstick, which is what I do. For me this is just under a the circle on the dipstick.

If you're on variable service interval them make sure you use the vw spec long life 5w-30. Personally I'd get the oil changed every 10k maximum, do don't bother using long life oil. I've been using some 5w-40 premium synthetic stuff that I bought from opie after taking their advice.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Edited by stever750

im due to get my car serviced in the next few months, its remapped.

Can i change from the long life oil to something else to decrease the oil consumption.

if your putting in a litre a month what the **** is the point in an oil change. (ok yes its from the sump so will clear out most **** gathering in there) but you get my drift.