How did you decide where to live?

cysne

I go where my employer sends me. Fortunately we have been to some very nice places; Cyprus; NE Scotland and Norwich to name a few and are currently enjoying living in Lincolnshire. I've also been to the Falklands, Kuwait and Qatar - bet you can't guess what my job is!

Hmmm.....Nice and Norwich in the same sentence?.....

I moved from Norwich to outside of Norwich 10 years ago (on the 8th of May anyway). Mainly because it was in the middle of both mine and my wifes family, but also because the village is quite nice. Quiet and friendly, although we live in the "rough" part...

I've only ever known people to choose where they live by Size of property, commute to work, distance from family and whether or not the people you've got on the wrong side of can find you :D

A good question and some great answers, I will be changing my job in March, this will mean a commute from St Helens to Leeds everyday, motorway all the way as I will be working just near Elland Road stadium and I get on the motorway just near Warrington Gemini.

We have been looking at houses in the West Yorkshire area and will be selling our house this year, I will be making a short list as above to help us choose.

So far, I had been looking for a double garage with a house attached and a more rural location, not too sure if I want neighbours again...

Jesus, St helens to Morley every day... Good luck with that.

I signed a contract for a flat in Stockholm commencing May, main reasons were,

20 Minutes from a International Airport. Close enough to england to go back when I need, but not too close!

40 Minutes to Central Stockholm

Less then 45 minutes to Centre of Swedens 4th biggest city.

So if I can't find something there, I guess I wouldn't be able to find anything in Sweden.

cysne, time it right and a mere 55 minutes of life is wasted, it is exactly 60 miles door to door, we will be moving over in the next 12 months too, so in the meantime I will be using a company car and company fuel, this will make the commute a bit easier.

Hopefully you are lucky. The M621 was the bane of my life at rush hour and Elland Road was awful.

Took me around 1 and a half hour to get from one side of the leeds to the other at rush hour. 

Nice to save on the fuel though!

Very important factor for me and many others is Broadband download an upload speed.

I would like to see the buyer's survey to slow these details as well as energy rating etc.

Where I live I have two BT Infinity data connections running at around 40 M/bits download and 12 M/bits upload therefore and since I work from home a lot and dial in to remote systems.

Very important factor for me and many others is Broadband download an upload speed.

I would like to see the buyer's survey to slow these details as well as energy rating etc.

Where I live I have two BT Infinity data connections running at around 40 M/bits download and 12 M/bits upload therefore and since I work from home a lot and dial in to remote systems.

This is something I'll have to consider when I move too. Carmarthen shouldn't be too bad but not 5 miles from there there's villages barely getting 2mb.

This is something I'll have to consider when I move too. Carmarthen shouldn't be too bad but not 5 miles from there there's villages barely getting 2mb.

I have a static caravan in New Quay Ceridigeon and have to go to the Owners club or up to the entertainment complex and there is no decent mobile signal either ie 2G but then that sometimes is a good thing as just sometimes you want the excuse not to work or be contacted which is something we do like to do occasionally so we can get some rest from 24/7 Logistics issues.

So sometimes people want to be out of the loop.....

I have a static caravan in New Quay Ceridigeon and have to go to the Owners club or up to the entertainment complex and there is no decent mobile signal either ie 2G but then that sometimes is a good thing as just sometimes you want the excuse not to work or be contacted which is something we do like to do occasionally so we can get some rest from 24/7 Logistics issues.

I know it well. We used to holiday there when I was a kid. I'm working in Felin Fach, just outside Aberaeron.

I know it well. We used to holiday there when I was a kid. I'm working in Felin Fach, just outside Aberaeron.

Where the theatre is. Love the roads all around there, particularly the Devil's bridge and A44.  Yet to take the SV down there yet, you planning to get back in the saddle?  

Where the theatre is. Love the roads all around there, particularly the Devil's bridge and A44.  Yet to take the SV down there yet, you planning to get back in the saddle?  

Eventually. One of the managers passed his bike test not long ago so is pushing me to get a bike again. Got to get a Octavia vRS Estate CR TDI first, then house, then bike. Unless a bargain turns up. May just get a 250 just to get back into it. Would be great for the 50 mile commute too.

Born in Strabane,co Tyrone.moved up the road to Castlederg. As I soon as I turned 16 ,joined the army and spent 2 years at the army apprentice college at Chepstow. Did a couple of months at Gibraltar barracks at Camberley. Posted to Waterbeach in Cambridgeshire. One of my mate's from pontypool,came down with him for a weekend and met the missus. Left in 94 and moved to pontypool and settled down here

Pontypool must be like living in LA compared to Castlederg, well out of it! 

lol-lol

For Super Fast Broadband you can now move to Buckie on the Moray Firth,

& probably some of the cheapest property in the UK there for sale.

We used to live in Elgin; really enjoyed it apart from when we needed to go to England for something. Trying to explain to family members where we lived was like "Drive to Glasgow, and when you get there you've still got 3 hours to go!"

• Like 1

We live just outside Aberystwyth. There is no mobile phone signal in our village and it is questionable in the surrounding area. You soon adapt to not having a mobile phone and generally speaking, it doesn't bother me at all. 

It looks like we might have to move from the area later in the year due to my wife's career. It is going to be absolutely gutting for both of us. Our hearts say stay here, our heads say move elsewhere. That is the real juxtaposition of trying to live (in the earlier half of your life anyway) in a rural area. Certainly the beauty, the way of life and the peace and quiet far outweigh the limited phone signal and restricted broadband. 

It's not too bad here in pontypool.Strabane and Castlederg was certainly a very scary place to be growing up during the troubles.

The derg isn't the nicest of places these days either. 

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/victims-disgust-as-ira-castlederg-parade-cleared-1-5859588

A chap I worked with, wanted to retire somewhere that was quiet and unlikely to find himself suddenly in the middle of a built up area or have a motorway built in his back garden. So he took a compass (the drawing circles type) and set it to a radius of about 40 miles on his map of the North West. He then drew circles around major conurbations Like Manchester, Liverpool Chester etc and eventually he found a couple of little areas where there was no overlap. He figured that if there was no overlap, then the place in that gap was so far from anywhere 'busy' that nobody would want to use it as a commuter belt type base or want to build anything of any substance in the area. He found a house in a quite village and lived the rest of his life in peace and quiet :)

• Like 2

As usual it's a handful of retarded Feckwits on both sides still stirring up crap for the majority of the country, but will still retire back there but probably be around the Donemana area as that's where my mum's family are from

MOI- not choice, just need.After a lot of housing problems we ended up in a damp ridden house and were awarded a council place ,where the homeless were offered as no one else would consider this street. Refuse and you got dropped to the bottom of the list. Accept and your life was ruled by local youth yob culture. I and another neighbour took on the yobs. We won . Some might have seen the "neighbours from hell " TV programs. I've lived through one episode.I,and my mate have had eggs and sausage thrown at out houses. W did lament the lack of bacon ,as we could have had a fry up :sweat: . I and neighbours have had approx £1000 of vehicle damage. But the nice thing was on seeing one young yob near a car,police advised and little yob got a visit.