The only car that will tempt me out of a Yeti

Dtd allroad, £25175..... I know I harp on about it but ,the prices your all talking about are ridiculous....... I know it's an old model, soon to be replaced , but really £34k on a car that's lower in the pecking order of the vag group?

Nope. As per my post the Scout and Leon can both be had with a decent selection of options for around the £27k mark via DtD. Your figure of £25175 is for the manual CR170 A4 Allroad, so lower powered than the Seat or Skoda and without DSG. It also includes a £2150 discount for taking finance, which will cost more than £2150 in interest, so let's knock that out and you're at £27,325

If you want to make it a fair comparison, the non-DSG Scout can be had via DtD for £21,842. Why pay an extra £5,483 for an older, slower A4 with offset pedals and less standard kit? That's a lot of money for a set of circles on the grille.

I'll certainly be trying an A4 Allroad as a potential next car, but let's be realistic and fair about comparisons. It's a lot more money for a slower car on an older platform with less standard kit.

I said in my last post that I'll be trying one.

I did, though, think it was worth putting a fair picture of the price comparison, as you were comparing a broker price for a no-options Allroad (and including a finance discount) against list price for a fully loaded Scout.

If I'm wrong anywhere on the comparison please point it out - I am trying to be as fair and balanced as possible. I'm not sure your implication that I'm uninformed is entirely reasonable.

Edited by Sporky McGuffin

All I'm trying to do in my opinion, is to give my view on the many cars that I have owned and worked on/ with, in my lifetime of experience , so I can help people have an easier life..... Btw I've been a mechanic for 20+ years and worked at a PDI centre where I PDI'd literally thousands of vag cars.. It's just an opinion though....

Well, as I said, if I'm wrong anywhere please let me know.  The price comparison numbers I gave are easy to check though, and it is a fact that the A4 is on an older platform than the Scout, and by the respective manufacturer figures it's slower from 0-60 and for top speed (CR177 A4 vs CR184 Scout). The offset pedals are well documented.

None of these are opinion - they are all verifiable.

Edited by Sporky McGuffin

• 4 weeks later...

Well, well, well...  this was not on my radar.  VW have now launched a "Scout" version of the Golf!  With a FAR bigger range of engines than the SEAT and Octy.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/paris-motor-show/volkswagen-reveals-new-golf-alltrack-ahead-paris-debut

VWwvsdvGolfqevqevevAllTrackaqceqef-001.j

VWwvsdvGolfqevqevevAllTrackaqceqef-003.j

I still think the Scout looks the best of the three (SEAT, Golf and Octy)

• Like 1

Caught me out as well as I hadn't seen anything on this previously... that looks by far the classiest imo though - mainly due to the slimmer, more stylish front and rear protection plated - I just cant get my head around the Scout ones and their gawky deep square inset holes... I like the look of the Leon also though and I know you aren't a fan. The Passat Alltrack was just too much money (better value with 5k off currently as its about to be replaced) but I always liked it tbh. This is an interesting option and the right size on a modern platform. :) Wonder if we'll see an A3 Sportback Allroad?!

Wonder if we'll see an A3 Sportback Allroad?!

I suspect not as they want you to buy a proper Q-range SUV - the Q3 or soon the new smaller Q1 or Q2.

I suspect not as they want you to buy a proper Q-range SUV - the Q3 or soon the new smaller Q1 or Q2.

Makes sense I guess and they still have the A4 Allroad currently - not as much space difference as some would expect between them imo. For an MQB segment C car I've whittled my 'must have' list down to:

estate (or sportback/sport tourer)

Panoramic sunroof

Premium audio (currently the A3's B&O option blows the Canton and Seat Sound away imo but its boot is the smallest of the group!)

Awd.

Prefer the TSi engines to the TDi's generally so it'd have to be the third generation EA888 1.8TSI I guess.

Have to say, I really like the look of that Golf AllTrak.

Never heard about it before either.

I looked at the A4 and A6 Allroad, but due to sensible discounts on them (A4 was eliminated, A6 was nice) and a mahoosive discount on an A8 I bought one of those instead.

Arrives Fri/Sat.

Far better spec than the A6 Allroad and worked out cheaper...

One of the few Audis that you don't have to add extras to, the Sport Exec spec includes a lot.

Added £5k of options, got £24k off.

Makes sense I guess and they still have the A4 Allroad currently - not as much space difference as some would expect between them imo. For an MQB segment C car I've whittled my 'must have' list down to:

estate (or sportback/sport tourer)

Panoramic sunroof

Premium audio (currently the A3's B&O option blows the Canton and Seat Sound away imo but its boot is the smallest of the group!)

Awd.

Prefer the TSi engines to the TDi's generally so it'd have to be the third generation EA888 1.8TSI I guess.

You don't get the 1,8 TSI in either the SEAT or Octy Scout but you do get it in the Golf.............  So from your list, I suspect you have just found your car here! (IF the sound is up to scratch, but doing what you do for a living, I'm sure you can upgrade that easily enough). The Golf ticks all the other boxes.

Must say I like this car more and more...  BUT of course to get the same spec as my perfectly speced Octy, the Golf will cost even MORE than £34,000... I'd imagine as ever that like for like the Golf will be more expensive than the Octy Scout. And if not, there's something seriously wrong in the VAG pecking order!

• Like 1

You don't get the 1,8 TSI in either the SEAT or Octy Scout but you do get it in the Golf.............  So from your list, I suspect you have just found your car here! (IF the sound is up to scratch, but doing what you do for a living, I'm sure you can upgrade that easily enough). The Golf ticks all the other boxes.

Must say I like this car more and more...  BUT of course to get the same spec as my perfectly speced Octy, the Golf will cost even MORE than £34,000... I'd imagine as ever that like for like the Golf will be more expensive than the Octy Scout. And if not, there's something seriously wrong in the VAG pecking order!

Agreed. You can have the Haldex and 1.8TSi motor in the Audi A3 Sportback of course but that isn't a jacked up version of course... The Golf definitely appears to tick the boxes and my guess would be £2,500+ up on the Scout. Its a real shame Skoda UK wont allow us to have the different Octavia trims with 1.8TSi and haldex. :(  

• Like 1

Yup I do think I still prefer the Scout. It just looks wider and as if it has more ground clearance.

Difficult to compare from the images though. The Skoda picture looks like it's been taken from axle height whereas the Golf is 12-18 inches higher. Guessing also that the Golf will be maybe 100mm shorter - Octavia is starting to get just a bit too long for my taste. And I bet that the Golf will win for NVH.

The Octavia doesn't look awful but I definitely prefer the sleeker, classier looking Golf from that photo. Without doubt it'll have better NVH and the details will be nicer. The Octavia still has that bigger rear cabin space though...

• Like 1

Have to agree with you there Johann, the Octy Scout looks much more impressive. I am saving like mad to look at one of these for next year and hopefully the current L & K Octy will keep me going until then

Well, well, well...  this was not on my radar.  VW have now launched a "Scout" version of the Golf!  With a FAR bigger range of engines than the SEAT and Octy.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/paris-motor-show/volkswagen-reveals-new-golf-alltrack-ahead-paris-debut

VWwvsdvGolfqevqevevAllTrackaqceqef-001.j

VWwvsdvGolfqevqevevAllTrackaqceqef-003.j

I still think the Scout looks the best of the three (SEAT, Golf and Octy)

Not sure I'd agree with you on that. I think that looks very nice indeed.

VAG have really cottoned on to this idea of low off roaders and if you don't need full off road ability but want a bit of extra ground clearance for less well used roads and across the gymkhana field with trailer and to get you through the winter, then they make a lot of sense.

And on the motorways they're much nicer to drive and more economical (I mentioned to the wife today that our A6 Allroad (V6, 245hp) is more economical on a brisk motorway run than our old 170hp Yeti - 42mpg vs 38mpg when driven at roughly similar speeds, well ok, a bit faster in the Audi  ;) ).

Now that our need for towing has dropped below 2000 kg's I could see the Golf being a suitable replacement for the A6 in 2 years time. Though price will of course be the decider - interesting to see how it's priced against the Octavia Scout.

• Like 2