6 speed conversion

Chink21

probably defineately :rofl:

On the LSD front there are very few options on the 02J 4x4 boxes (SQS plate)

The 02M 4x4 boxes have diffs avaialable from Peloquin, Quaife, Wavetrac, Kaaz, etc

my experience is exactly the oppposite of this

eg

6spd short ratio petrol = forever changing gears, running out of gear speed way before engine rpm

6spd long-ratio diesel = gear speed range and engine rpm working together

I found this driving at any speed

Not really an issue of engine power

Erm. How do you run out of gear speed before rpm?

The gears spin in relation to them?

Putting a diesel box in a petrol wont really work unlessyou have the power and torque to drive them surely.

The gearboxes are designed and ratioed to kepp the engine running and its optimum torque and power band for a smooth drive.

Ie a diesel revs lower but has loads of torque low down to accelerate so needs a box that has the speed to keep rps low.

Petrols need to rev higher for the power and torque so need a box that does tis.

Puttin a diesel box designed to keep rps low and use torque around 1k rpm is not gonna work correctly in a petrol that needs to be reving over say 2k for that same torque.

Isnt the op talking about a vrs tho?

Anni golfs were fwd?

Personally ide just stick a lsd in it or as said just get a derv to start with if you want more eco.

I am only comparing my octy vrs with my fabia vrs.

I know that just pulling away the octy was simpler and easier to get away due to the lower ratio. Puttin that box in the octy would stall all the time and youd be buggered on a hill.

You would need it mapping for low torque and rev and ride the clutch. A simple remapped car wouldnt be enough I dont think.

Erm. How do you run out of gear speed before rpm?

The gears spin in relation to them?

maybe I explained that badly - basically the need to change up a gear way too soon due to the short speed range of a close ratio box

Putting a diesel box in a petrol wont really work unless you have the power and torque to drive them surely.

... would stall all the time and youd be buggered on a hill.

no - easily cope

The difference in ratio isn't that big

iirc VAG pair this box to 180hp TT roadsters

you can get straight out of a oem spec vrs and straight into my car and not a huge difference pulling away - no requirement for more power to start rolling

You're welcome to a demonstration

Isnt the op talking about a vrs tho?

Anni golfs were fwd?

The OP was, but KylePiggy85 asked a question ;)

But in relation to the OP's question, I'd agree with you - put an LSD in the VRS box or get a diesel ;)

• Like 2

I converted my 1.8t 4x4 to six speed 02m and it had diesel final drive fitted. Car is mapped to around 210 and it drives perfectly fine. I broke 2nd in it (due to history of the box... it was in AK bodycrafts mk1 golf) and until I fix it I'm using a tt dqb six speeder and in my opinion I can't wait to get back to the diesel ratios.

Just my 2p.

• Like 1

I think Chink21 and Romo has VRS so not those poor 4x4 original boxes that do make sense to replace with a 6 speeder.

The VRS box is quite strong and I personally can't see the benefit of a extra gear,  unless you like a lot of motorway driving( are the ratio's in top gear not the same though?), but even the 5 speeder is at around  3k rpm on the roads speed limit which ain't that bad.

I guess it is what folks are used to. 

I do want a LSD though....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello, I have the possibility to buy an 02M gearbox with Quaife fitted. It is a EFF (from a diesel I think). I've read about cranks, flywheels, drive shafts, etc., but from which car should these be found? Audi TT 180/210/225? Golf 25th Anniversary? Leon CupraR?

O2m means nothing other than it's a 6 speed gearbox diesel AND petrol,within that you get the code(ratios)ie eff(found on some diesels),fml/err(found on some 225/180bhp 1.8t's)etc 

As we can see, the diesel is so long, the engine would probably be way off ideal rpm after a gearshift. Ideally speaking the 02M six speed of a petrol combined with a 02M diesel end reduction would be perfect. But I don't know if it is possible tom combine these internals

left is petrol with diesel ends, right is diesel with petrol ends:

Schermafbeelding 2017-04-27 om 15.12.58.png