Used one? / Thoughts - Farecla G3 Clay Mitt -

WookieeM

Got one this morning, and......................

(just loading pics to photobucket)

Get yer pics out then.... :p 

I had other chores to do today so couldn't get on to my car in time. 

First dry day in Bristol in months too... Bu99er!

Got one this morning, and......................

(just loading pics to photobucket)

I'd be interested on your thoughts, the debate is currently running at 10-pages on Detailing World on the G3 v ADS :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When I washed the car at the weekend I noticed that on the lower half of the car the paint was as dull as ditch water. Never used 'clay' before and to be honest it seemed like a lot of bloody hard work. Thought I would put 'halfords clay' into Google earlier this afternoon to see if they did it and it came up with this mitt and a link to this thread. Had a read and thought I would give it a go. Really surprising just how rough the paint feels when you get the mitt on it to start with and amazed how quickly the mitt got it smooth. Wouldn't say it was brilliant on the bigger tar spots but eventually it would get them. Halfords had their 3 for 2 thing going so I got the mitt, g3 detailer and g3 wax (detailer being the cheapest that was the freebie). 

• 3 weeks later...

Bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and finally got chance to give it a go today. 

I've never clayed before, well i have but it lasted all of 10 minutes. I got bored after doing a 6"x6" section of the roof! 

The mitt is so easy to use compared to a clay bar - you can cover a much bigger area and it takes no time at all. I just had it dunked in a bucket of shampoo and was also using some detailer i got with the autoglym clay set. Its amazing how smooth the paint felt afterwards. 

Would definitely recommend, especially if you are are short of time, or not a full on detailer! 

Excellent product. 

• Like 2

I've just had my first play with one of these today.

And found that the more you use it you can actually hear as well as see the difference the clay mitt is making.

And the fact you can just use a good shampoo instead of a QD was great.

As this was ChrisRS clay mitt I played with he did show me that it's still not got quite the pulling/lifting ability as some clay bars as we used some bilt hamber clay where we had already clayed and it brought a lot of tar and soiled dirt off after the mitt.

But as a quick replacement to clay or not using clay at all your gonna get a good finish.

Really worth the investment I believe

Pic shows just how much more was removed after the mitt with the bilt hamber.

post-78837-0-55884100-1397062095_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

After using clay for years I got myself one and used it last week end on my mums focus. After using Tardis and Dragons Breath I used the clay mitt. So simple and time efficient to use. Used some normal clay to see if anything was left on the car and found nothing.

After a good chemical decon (iron remover/tar remover) Clay shouldn't have to work too hard. No reason a mitt like this won't do a job.

For now I'll be a dinosaur and stick to Clay and lube, I think it forces you to pay more attention to the work you are doing, I worry the mitt will encourage lacksidaisical prep, but that's just me :)

I think it forces you to pay more attention to the work you are doing, I worry the mitt will encourage lacksidaisical prep, but that's just me :)

But for newbies at least it encourages prep. I probably would have gone with clay if there were no mitts but it would have been more daunting with the risk involved with not using enough lube ect.

So what do you need to do?

Wash

Rinse

Tardis

Rinse

Clay mitt

Polish

Wax/sealant?

The steps are okay but not really in the right order IMO

If I'm giving my paintwork the full monty (twice a year) then I

a. Pre wash with Bilt hamber foam,

b. Jet rinse

c. Snowfoam with Valet pro foam

d. Jet rinse

e. Tardis,

f.  Jet rinse Tardis'd areas

g. Clay mitt/bar depending on time available

h, Jet rinse

i.  Hand wash with Meguiars Gold class

j. Jet rinse

k. Dry

l.  2 coats of poorboys black hole 

m. Nattys blue paste wax (summer) or Colinite 476 wax(winter)

o.  Seal with Auto Glym Extra Gloss protection

I won't get onto cleaning other parts of the car, I'll run out of letters :D

And I'll be even worse once I have got into the machine polishing side 

of things hopefully later in the year.