Pulled over for having DRLs on

bobnaldo

Octaylor38, None who?  

Those that wire up Fog Lights or have switches to make them look like DRL's have them, and hence Police stopping them.

Auric Goldfinger,

Fabia MK2 DRLs do dim, and then they are the Sidelights.  Very bright sidelights.  They are very bright DRL's before Dimming.

Sorry, ill rephrase.

Have you ever come across a car that you cab turn the fog lights on without the sidelights/dipped beam being on?

What im trying to say is. Surely that makes it easy to distinguish the difference between fogs and drls. (As drls are only on when no other lights are on)

• Like 2

Otaylor38,

Yes.  

Car D1cks everyplace. can have fogs on without Sidelights, and even Cornering/Static Fogs.

Auric,

well a bit late to make them dim more after 4 years of production, they are stopping building that model of car.

eg, Car D1ck,Could be Cornering Fogs, Could be Cornering DRL's,

kind of like those that think they need brighter DRL bulbs, well thats IMHO.

There have always been people that fit fog lights or Spot and driving lights and use them as they wish.

We always had a Single Rear Work light on our cars in the 70's,  Rally Styleee,  obviously never switched on,

even when a plonker with Cibies on was right up your chuff.

I miss the old days.

I hanker after a New Renault Twingo,

rear wheel Drive, rear engine and a single Spot light bolted on the rear bumper.

My first Road car was a Hillman Imp.

There have always been people that fit fog lights or Spot and driving lights and use them as they wish.

We always had a Single Rear Work light on our cars in the 70's,  Rally Styleee,  obviously never switched on,

even when a plonker with Cibies on was right up your chuff.

I miss the old days.

I hanker after a New Renault Twingo,

rear wheel Drive, rear engine and a single Spot light bolted on the rear bumper.

My first Road car was a Hillman Imp.

On the 70s motorcycles (single 25/35w headlight) use to get blinded all the time with cars with multiple badly aligned headlights or just plain ignorant.

Going out with a passenger carrying a Diving torch of a few million candle power use to remind car users that they should dip their lights for bikes too.

Had imp wheels on the mini as they were cool as 12 inch wheels to replace the 10s.

• Like 1

On the 70s motorcycles (single 25/35w headlight) use to get blinded all the time with cars with multiple badly aligned headlights or just plain

I used to like it when a range rover followed me on my old cg125. I could actually see where i was going for a change haha

• Like 1

Yup. My cg was one of the first with a 12v system.

It was only really happy cruising at 45mph (would do 60 but screamed) and even then id have a job to see far enough infront of me. It was like a candle. No light close up, not light far away. Just enough for people to see you coming the other way haha.

And then people with black pack lights complain they arent very good ;) haha.

I wonder what the police officer would make of the BMW LED system that constantly stays on high beam.

BMW have a new system out next month, similar to the above but the LED's will be replaced by Lasers.

Cheers

Lee

I wonder what the police officer would make of the BMW LED system that constantly stays on high beam.

BMW have a new system out next month, similar to the above but the LED's will be replaced by Lasers.

Cheers

Lee

I'd be very wary with this system in my car, even more control taken away from the driver. Would it work? Sounds good in theory but only if you where the driver of the oncoming or preceeding vehicle and they worked correctly.

Driving should always be a 'participation' sport / action.

George.... I have upgraded my DRL'S for a 'whiter' light not necessarily a brighter light. If that makes me a 'car ****' then so be it. I would like to add that I do know when it's lighting up time and use my lights appropriately and considerately. I don't see myself as old school just well taught and sensible when it comes to road safety.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Would it work? Sounds good in theory but only if you where the driver of the oncoming or preceeding vehicle and they worked correctly.

It does work, it's been available on 3 Series and bigger for a couple of years now.

Replacing the LED's with Lasers is new, that will debut in the i8 and will be available on the 7 series later this year.

Cheers

Lee

• Like 1

Sounds far too complicated though. Even if it does work.

Good if your buying new, but not sure id want it 10 years down the line when it might start getting abit dicky

And the lasers start cooking things or cutting things in half ;)

• Like 1

sounds to me like they are using the technology so as to see further down the road to start with, in order to drive even faster! In addition, how will it help if the nutter in the BMW comes up behind a proceeding driver, then tailgates? The reduced distance, splitty beam system did not show the car getting close enough to dazzle and tailgate (It even looks like they purposely stopped the simulation just before the non adjusting part of the beam hits the vehicle ahead) but you can bet your bottom dollar the typical german car driver will drive up your arse!  In this circumstance, you will fare better with an automatic anti glare rear view mirror.

As an aside, in busy-ish traffic, the constantly changing beam pattern will surely cause some drivers confusion and concern… Similar to a motorcycle headlight, which seems to be "Flashing" as the rider goes over speed bumps and road defects, and then having dozy drivers think the rider is allowing them to go, hence the driver subsequently cutting up the rider.

For that reason alone, I NEVER, EVER, flash another road user when out on the bike, in order to allow them to go first. (Self preservation)

I am guessing this will start to happen to BMW drivers as the system becomes more routinely used!

This in turn, reminds me of a funny but somewhat impractical feature I saw on a so called 4X4 chelsea tractor a few years back… It was fitted with automatic flapping- in mirrors that detect obstacles and close in, then re-open after passing said obstacle.

I was following it down a small East London street and every time it closely passed a parked car or any other obstacle, they flapped in, then out. There was so many obstacles, they looked like tiny, flapping wings, trying to take off a fat, cumbersome bird. They must have been next to useless to use as an aid to driving, to boot! (may as well have been IN the boot)!

Edited by mrgf
  • Like 1

sounds to me like they are using the technology so as to see further down the road to start with, in order to drive even faster! In addition, how will it help if the nutter in the BMW comes up behind a proceeding driver, then tailgates? The reduced distance, splitty beam system did not show the car getting close enough to dazzle and tailgate (It even looks like they purposely stopped the simulation just before the non adjusting part of the beam hits the vehicle ahead) but you can bet your bottom dollar the typical german car driver will drive up your arse!  In this circumstance, you will fare better with an automatic anti glare rear view mirror.

)

It's funny when I drive in the Fabia vRS I do get tailgated occasionally by BMWs and other German cars. When I'm out in my BMW 120d it never seems to happen. Plenty of white vans, fords, vauxhall, skodas etc up my chuff but never another Beemer.....

I can only conclude that the best anti-bmw-tailgating solution is to buy a BMW. It's abit like what happens when get yourself a cat..... other cats respect it's territory and stop taking a dump in your garden lol!

• Like 3

This Skoda today with T-W-A-T lights (This way and that)  was a real cracker.

It drove up OK, 10am and gloomy,  Dipped Headlights and Sidelights.

Stopped and started to reverse,  so on came both fogs, then a left, then a right, left right,  then drove forward, no Fogs on.

Then reversed onto the pavement,  Left & Right fog on off,  then happy to have done his thing, the driver was parked.

Sat there for a few minutes before i left, with lights on like this.

Not annoying during the day, just amused me, but i am easily amused.

but very annoying as they do it to you as you drive towards them at night, and they try to reverse park.

Hmm i agree. That does look really annoying. I dont think skoda thought that one through did they

It's not just Skoda, most manufacturers fit cornering lights nowadays. In towns and city the are a bit pointless, but in unlit roads they are great, only wish Skoda would fit a switch so you can decide if you want them on or off.

They really do show how many steering movements a driver might be making while parking and reversing..

They are handy as a warning to others,

were drivers about to change direction or lane when going forward, those that like the modern technology and safety equipment

on their vehicle,

but are not prepared to manually use an Indicator Stalk for the Orange Flashing light that cars have had for decades.

It's not just Skoda, most manufacturers fit cornering lights nowadays. In towns and city the are a bit pointless, but in unlit roads they are great, only wish Skoda would fit a switch so you can decide if you want them on or off.

I agree. They are good. Dad had a golf with them on and loved them.

However, on a yeti, the fogs are somewhat higher up and larger. So i dont think theyre really compatible with the cornering fogs function myself.