Drive Mode Selection - peoples thoughts on Sport mode

Just wondering what people make of the sport mode?

Since getting mine a week ago have pretty much just left it in sport, assuming it would provide the best throttle modulation.

On a 110 mile drive (first long drive) last night had a proper play with the various settings and found that Normal mode, whilst requiring a firmer press of the throttle provides much more linear and predictable go....id go as far to say that sport mode actually blunts the response and its harder to find the sweet spot on the accelerator and the car seems to just go harder in normal mode. I had a similar experience some years ago with an Astra SRi that had Sport mode for throttle and steering response.

In normal I was actually startled at how much go the 150 TDi can deliver, loads of PD like low end punch and feels considerably swifter than my MK2 vRS TDi did on the move, that car suffered quite badly with flat-spotting.

I have now configured individual mode with sport steering and normal throttle and is now my preference.

Interested to hear what others views are on this.

• Like 1

Sport mode on a dsg diesel is awful. Holds gear far too long but does give better response at lower revs. I leave mine in normal 95% of the time and sport the other 5.

In a manual the difference between sport and normal was quite noticeable and much easier to control via gear selected and right foot.

one really weird thing is that I put the car into sport, go for a drive, no problem so far. But, the next time I start the car the mode switch is illuminated, the amundsen shows sport selected, the steering is in sport mode but the gearbox is in normal mode, this is reinforced with a D next to the gear number displayed. If I press sport mode again I get the S displayed and gearbox in sport but only for 1 journey. Anyone else with a dsg diesel get this?

Edited by Sheldon.Cooper

Not actually tried the Sport mode yet and I've covered 1300 miles in the first 3 weeks. Did try the individual mode with sport steering to see if that improved the over sensitive steering I have with mine but it seemed to make it worse, therefore it's stayed in normal; must give it a go though now the engine has bedded in a bit.

Oh also need to see if the other modes will clear the 30mph town driving barrier; engine doesn't like 4th at that speed, sounds as if it's labouring plus it puts a noticeable vibration through the steering but at the same speed 3rd feels a bit revv'y.

TP

Sport mode on a dsg diesel is awful. Holds gear far too long but does give better response at lower revs. I leave mine in normal 95% of the time and sport the other 5.

In a manual the difference between sport and normal was quite noticeable and much easier to control via gear selected and right foot.

one really weird thing is that I put the car into sport, go for a drive, no problem so far. But, the next time I start the car the mode switch is illuminated, the amundsen shows sport selected, the steering is in sport mode but the gearbox is in normal mode, this is reinforced with a D next to the gear number displayed. If I press sport mode again I get the S displayed and gearbox in sport but only for 1 journey. Anyone else with a dsg diesel get this?

I think this logic is the same for all VAG cars - my Audi is the same, and I know my mates Golf GTI DSG is the same.

Its strange the response is softer at low revs but a reasonably firm press of the throttle releases all the go and its impressive.

Just not sure about sport mode, just seems very artificial from the short time ive used it and response just seems a bit dead if you go to use a bit more throttle than the setting accomodates.

Maybe a bit more time will adjust my view but i think id like how a 2.0 TDi 150 manual would drive without the drive mode selection option, normal is just dandy!

• Like 1

I'm sure I read somewhere that the vauxhall system made a change for a short while then reverted back to normal. Very cheeky.

I have to say I tend to drive mine in sport most of the time mainly due to me being thick and constantly forgetting to setup the individual profile.

I prefer heavier steering and find normal and Eco overly light. As far as throttle response sport is way way sharper than normal. Although I don't have the 150tdi so possible different engines either have different settings or just respond differently to the changes. I can't think it should deaden it at all though.

It will be more like;

0-25% pedal = 0-60% throttle

25%-100% pedal = 60-100%throttle

If you really were hammering the crap out of it (and it was a more powerful engine) this would be desirable - but for a bit of a sporty drive on the road I agree, its an annoying throttle map.

I prefer heavier steering and find normal and Eco overly light. As far as throttle response sport is way way sharper than normal. Although I don't have the 150tdi so possible different engines either have different settings or just respond differently to the changes. I can't think it should deaden it at all though.

Mine's a vRS TSI with manual box and I find the same. It's difficult to modulate the very light throttle pedal anyway, but Eco is dire in its response so it's Normal for everything except Steering, which is Sport, even though that's lighter than I would like. Those are my Individual settings and I keep it in that mode.

• Like 1

It might just be perception but it in my car at least just doesnt seem to go quite the same in Sport as it does in Normal, theres a stronger initial surge but then its just slightly lacking if you rev it out.

Difficult to put my finger on but do prefer the throttle modulation in normal mode without doubt; the sport steering setting is definitely the best of the three settings also.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this, but is there any official documentation on exactly what's changed on the different modes?

I'm not convinced Eco mode makes me any more efficient as the crappy throttle response means I go between labouring the engine and using too much power, and I seem to get better MPG on normal or sport on the way in to work.

Interesting reading this.

I have sport mode on my Astra SRi and don't often use it at all, infact I very rarely do use it. 

Mine being a petrol there is a noticeable difference in the throttle response when turning sport mode on. I have found driving in town with sport mode on is horrible, it makes for a very jerky drive in stop start traffic. Much nicer and smoother drive in town in normal mode. 

My thoughts on this - car is a 150TDi 4x4 Estate.

Firstly, the throttle settings:

1. Eco mode doesn't really do anything worthwhile. I can't see any difference in the car's economy from running in other modes. At the end of the day it's all down to how fast you go, and all that is changed in this respect is the throttle response. So Eco mode is a bit of a misnomer - more like Soft mode if you like and a bit of a waste of time.

2. Sport mode changes the throttle response to the point that I find it very difficult to modulate in first gear. Gentle pressure results in a very slow start, too slow sometimes for safety when pulling out of a side turning. Firm pressure on the other hand turns into an OhMyGod! style launch which causes you to run out of first gear very quickly indeed, forcing a quick change to second just when you don't want to be bothering with it. Hitting a happy medium is nigh-on impossible.

One of the great things about a 4x4 is being able to pull rapidly out from a side turning in any weather or road conditions, but Sport throttle mode screws this up totally. This could be exacerbated by the apparently lower gearing in the 4x4, but ultimately it means that I find Sport mode very unsatisfactory.

3. Normal mode is much more acceptable to me and as a result it is what I am now using most of the time.

Now steering:

1. Eco mode is too light for my tastes so I avoid it like the plague. Just not positive enough for accurate driving and keeping the car stable for passengers on winding roads.

2. Sport mode is great when you are pressing on, particularly on cross-country roads. It is a bit "tweaky" though on motorways.

3. Normal mode is not too bad as a compromise, and I find it much better and more relaxing than Sport mode on motorways.

In conclusion I prefer to use an Individual setting with Normal mode for the throttle and Sport mode for the steering. Just like pypsyp, in fact, except that I sometimes swap to Normal mode for motorway driving. The only use that I can imagine Sport throttle setting would be useful for is drag racing, and I don't plan to do any of that...

• Like 1

Thats why I have flappy paddles :)

If you want to push on and have the best of both worlds, engage Sport on the DSG (not Sport mode) but you choose the gear change point :)

1. Eco mode doesn't really do anything worthwhile. I can't see any difference in the car's economy from running in other modes. At the end of the day it's all down to how fast you go, and all that is changed in this respect is the throttle response. So Eco mode is a bit of a misnomer - more like Soft mode if you like and a bit of a waste of time.

2. Sport mode changes the throttle response to the point that I find it very difficult to modulate in first gear. Gentle pressure results in a very slow start, too slow sometimes for safety when pulling out of a side turning. Firm pressure on the other hand turns into an OhMyGod! style launch which causes you to run out of first gear very quickly indeed, forcing a quick change to second just when you don't want to be bothering with it. Hitting a happy medium is nigh-on impossible.

One of the great things about a 4x4 is being able to pull rapidly out from a side turning in any weather or road conditions, but Sport throttle mode screws this up totally. This could be exacerbated by the apparently lower gearing in the 4x4, but ultimately it means that I find Sport mode very unsatisfactory.

3. Normal mode is much more acceptable to me and as a result it is what I am now using most of the time.

Now steering:

1. Eco mode is too light for my tastes so I avoid it like the plague. Just not positive enough for accurate driving and keeping the car stable for passengers on winding roads.

2. Sport mode is great when you are pressing on, particularly on cross-country roads. It is a bit "tweaky" though on motorways.

3. Normal mode is not too bad as a compromise, and I find it much better and more relaxing than Sport mode on motorways.

In conclusion I prefer to use an Individual setting with Normal mode for the throttle and Sport mode for the steering. Just like pypsyp, in fact, except that I sometimes swap to Normal mode for motorway driving. The only use that I can imagine Sport throttle setting would be useful for is drag racing, and I don't plan to do any of that...

100% agree nickcoll; individual with normal throttle and sport steering probably the best set up...have decided sport throttle just is not predictable enough and in fact at times labours acceleration; id actually say that power delivery is generally all-round stronger in normal just a bit more (and natural amount of) throttle is needed to make it go some...but when it does it really does for a 150 diesel.

Not sold on the steering, vague around dead-ahead in all modes which leads to continual corrections ive found; does improve at speed however with the weighting still being speed sensitive. Normal is too light for me.

95 % driven mine in Normal, once I got over the playing thing.

This I fine a good consistent drive but then perhaps I'm boring and don't have a toy fetish.

Now steering:

In conclusion I prefer to use an Individual setting with Normal mode for the throttle and Sport mode for the steering. Just like pypsyp, in fact, except that I sometimes swap to Normal mode for motorway driving. The only use that I can imagine Sport throttle setting would be useful for is drag racing, and I don't plan to do any of that..

May be reserve for holidays then as the exit of every "Peage" in France is a drag race !! quickest to get to max permitted speed of 130Kph

Completely agree with everything and especially this. I still struggle to understand people putting so much emphasis on this mode. It brings minimal mpg gains if any since your power-train remains the same. You get slower throttle response, lowered AC consumption (probably the biggest gain) and different shift points in the DSG. I find it even stranger when people say they go for a motorway cruise and that's when they switch the car to Eco. That's where it provides the smallest benefit! If you go by what the mode does, it's best use is in town, slow traffic and situations where you'd change gear and accelerate/decelerate frequently...

• Like 2

‘Normal’ mode really should be retitled ‘Best of all worlds, now leave it alone’ mode.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Skoda-Octavia-20-TDI-Elegance-Estate-2014-CAR-review/

Not much to say that Car didn't. I also fiddled with the mode select for a while before increasingly just leaving it in 'Normal'

Niall

I find it even stranger when people say they go for a motorway cruise and that's when they switch the car to Eco. That's where it provides the smallest benefit!

One benefit is from the sound generator if you prefer lower sound, may be that's what they mean.

Had a go in eco the other day on the daily commute, seemed to smooth out the engine note and reduce some of the engine vibration, resulting in me forgetting to go up to sixth a couple of times :giggle:  Noticed it would overtake quite happily in eco as in normal mode on a flat road, however our local steep hill climb, which can be achieved in 5th if given a traffic free run up was a struggle in eco; switched back to normal mode half way up and the car noticeable burst back to life so to speak.

Eco as others have said, appears to give no improvement in economy over normal mode from my experience so far.

Have yet to try running in sport for any length of time, again as others have stated normal mode suits the car so why bother go elsewhere; standard cruise on the SE would have been more useful than this rather gimmicky standard spec item IMHO obviously.

Oh to update my post 3 above, then with almost 2500 miles done both steering sensitivity and labouring/vibration concerns have much improved over the last week or so.

TP