Fitted new DRL bulbs

chris c

I have the LED based ones from HIDS Direct, will get a good pic of them later but they look superb when dark, a little odd in the day up close though...

14073632118_3260670fbb_c.jpg

Skoda Citigo by Harry_S, on Flickr

Clipped in with no problems, remain on at all stages (DRL, side-lights, dipped beam etc) and worked first time on both sides (some reports of having to turn them around, I must have just got lucky)

I Dont think its worth the £50 to replace two side/day lights?

True but they were £24.95 for the pair.  I'm Scottish and £24.95 was expensive enough for two bloody bulbs!!

• Like 2

Stop Press!!,have just received an email from H-Direct and a new pair of bulbs are on their way to me!.Dont know if I should  laugh or cry.Any way thanks H-D for the nice surprise.

Well, the bulbs must be taking the scenic route to get here,still no show after 4 days.Good things come to those who wait I suppose.

• Like 1

Stop Press!!,have just received an email from H-Direct and a new pair of bulbs are on their way to me!.Dont know if I should  laugh or cry.Any way thanks H-D for the nice surprise.Well, the bulbs must be taking the scenic route to get here,still no show after 4 days.Good things come to those who wait I suppose.

Well, one week on and still no bulbs!.I give up.

I expected them to be a little slow with delivery as they are free replacements,maybe send them 2' class instead of 1' class post but did not think it would take this long.

Well,11 days on and still no bulbs,sent H-Direct an email on Thursday asking if they had the right address as I still had not received the bulbs and have had no reply to my enquiry.So I give up, will stick with the original bulbs and will not bother with the MTECs ever again.

Theres a guy on the Up! forum,his MTECs failed at 2 months and 5K miles,the failure rate for these bulbs must be horrendous.Still cannot understand why I was told I was getting a free pair of replacements and nothing has been sent ?.

Well,11 days on and still no bulbs,sent H-Direct an email on Thursday asking if they had the right address as I still had not received the bulbs and have had no reply to my enquiry.So I give up, will stick with the original bulbs and will not bother with the MTECs ever again.

Join the club. I was dissatisfied with the service life of the Mtec drl's as well. I wrote to Hids Direct as pasted below. Result an apologetic email in response offering a replacement bulb if I sent an image to show the faulty bulb smashed. I replied with appreciation of the offer and advised I would comply. Low and behold the second bulb failed and I requested to know by email if that also would be replaced and sent images of both side by side smashed. Never heard another word despite a few reminders. I finally expressed my incredulity, that it was a shoddy way to do business and that there would be no more between us.

"Hi,

I am disappointed in the longevity of the mtec bulbs below in my Skoda Citigo, dispatched 7th September, 2013. One has failed about a week ago. This is from a second order for these bulbs. The first order was #7649, dispatched 14th January, 2013, both of which failed shortly before the most recent order was dispatched. Believe me when I say, my wife and me both being retired, and me being the sole driver, the bulbs have seen very little use. Basically drive a mile to pick up my wife from town possibly once each week day. Half an hour trip approx. max. Very little other driving is done. The car was purchased October 2012 (17 months ago) and there is only 3,750 miles on it, to give some idea.

Perhaps you will consider if this is reasonable service and let me know what you think.

Regards,

Liam."

So its not just me getting the cold shoulder treatment!.Sent them a reminder email last Sunday asking where the bulbs were and and got a reply on Monday saying 'The bulbs have been sent and will arrive shortly'.On Thursday sent another email asking are they sure they had the right address as still nothing had turned up.Have had no reply to this email.Save hassle and money and stick to the bulbs the car came with is my advice.

Had an email off H-Direct saying the guy who said he sent the replacement MTECs to me is on holiday.Have sent an email back explaining the situation and will see what happens.Wont' hold my breath.

Well at the 2' attempt the MTECs have arrived!.Due to the rather limited life of these bulbs, will stay with the OEM bulbs I have in the at the moment and will fit the MTECs in October so I will have the better DLR illumination during the Winter months.The bulbs I have in now are more than adequate for the Summer.

• Like 1

One of my DRL bulbs has gone - less than 12 months old car.

can I just ask if the DRL bulb is on its own, or connected to the headline then? I was hoping to just replace the little glowy daytime one....

Hopefully this might help?

The Parking Lights = the Sidelights and are the 5W filament of the bulb.  The Daytime Running Lights are the 21W filament of the same bulb.

When you replace the "little glowy daytime one" you'll also be replacing the sidelight as it's part of the same bulb.  However, you can see that C in the diagram below is separate from the headlamp and indicator bulbs.

14303473837_b19c7248db_o.jpg

14466774596_d02c08075e_o.jpg

14488627444_c107ec494c_z.jpg

• Like 2

One of my DRL bulbs has gone - less than 12 months old car.

can I just ask if the DRL bulb is on its own, or connected to the headline then? I was hoping to just replace the little glowy daytime one....

It's entirely on it's own, really simple job to change as well. Just make sure you get the right size!

Thanks Jimmy, excellent help. I think they blow so soon as the get used every day. And I think everytime I switch my engine off in jams, they go off/on too. I don't know if that applies to those with auto stop/start systems.

Still. under a year isn't impressing anyone.

the fact that they even come on when parked with car running on battery, to operate windows and air blower doesnt help either...

I really think the whole DRL's thing needs a bit more thought by the manufacturers....

• 1 month later...