Our new yeti has arrived... With the wrong wheels and roof colour!

joiner andy

We added so many options to our car that I checked (and spotted errors) on the order form 3 times before I signed it.

The car arrived at the dealers last week & we went down to inspect it and it appears to be the correct spec, but I will need to spend some time with the car to ensure everything I ordered is on there...

Are there any visual clues to the 12 speaker system being present?

I didn't see a button for the front heated screen - and couldn't see any sign of elements in the glass either (like you can on a Ford) but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

I also didn't see the load partition net that I ordered or the "door bin" which was supposed to come with the alcantara interior.

That said there was a bag in the boot full of "stuff" so I'm guessing some/all of what I ordered is lurking in there.

Will be picking it up Saturday and spending Sunday going through it with a fine toothcomb to make sure we have received what we ordered!

• Like 1

Depending on how much you'd miss the £750 (and if SUK can't help) I'd be extremely tempted to cancel.  You've spent £20k on something that isn't as you wanted/requested, the fact that the dealership's being so obstinate is astounding, and for me it would leave a sour taste to "compromise" with them.

Let your feet do the talking, and get out of there! (with your head held high).

:rock:

• Like 1

Depending on how much you'd miss the £750 (and if SUK can't help) I'd be extremely tempted to cancel.  You've spent £20k on something that isn't as you wanted/requested, the fact that the dealership's being so obstinate is astounding, and for me it would leave a sour taste to "compromise" with them.

Let your feet do the talking, and get out of there! (with your head held high).

:rock:

Yes, but what would he buy instead - and no doubt another long wait.

Not worth it over a set of wheels IMO. Lots of alternative solutions for him listed here.

However, I agree that the dealer should sort this out for him, but as already been stated - check, check, and double check.

Like 137699, when checking my order form, there were several omissions. I became so paranoid in the end worrying about getting the correct extras I had speccified, that I called Skoda UK and got them to confirm what they had on their system in regards my order.

Hi drum no it wasn't Arnold Clark . Not sure I should name them until I get this resolved.. Hi bilun777. That's what I suggested swapping wheels with another vehicle but apparently not possible! And I certainly won't be darkening the dealers doorstep again! Wish I had went back to Sinclair Skoda. . Got our first she yeti from Andy at Sinclair Skoda and it was a pleasure dealing with them from ordering to collection. He gave us a yeti teddy for my daughter, free mudflats and mats and free delivery on a transporter to Aberdeenshire! Also matched a broker price and an excellent price for our fiat 500. He left Sinclair Skoda unfortunately .

The dealer who we have ordered from this time offered me a good trade in price and discount then after signing was told can't give a fixed trade in price . 6 weeks later I finally got my trade in price £ 2500 less wiping out my discount ! plus they wanted £450 transport cost which I managed to get them to pay half after much persuasion!

I'd love to use my local dealer in Aberdeen but with all th oil money up here they don't offer much discount ... Or do I thaught until my dad managed to get a price match on a Skoda superb 170 elegance. Last month!!

That's what I feel like doing bobbyg79! Out of principle! I accept I'm partly to blame but so are they. However who's to blame is irrelevant it needs to be resolved . After all I'm a paying customer and apart from buying a house it's the most expensive purchase I have ever made. After the huge drop in trade in price I'm tempted to contact a broker or re order from a dealer and by then I would get my car sold private as a guy is keen bet in the middle of a messy divorce and can't get a bank loan . The deposit I lose would be taken care of and cash left over for extras!

• Like 1

Hi Andy

Did you pay your deposit by credit card ?  if you did why not have a word with the card supplier.

I had a similar experience a few years ago and I found the RBS very understanding and helpful.

If there is any chance of a return through the card company I should tell the dealer to stick it, politely of course :wonder:

Are there any visual clues to the 12 speaker system being present?

I didn't see a button for the front heated screen - and couldn't see any sign of elements in the glass either (like you can on a Ford) but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

The "Sound system" can be identified by extra speakers half way up the front doors, just in front of the handles.

The button for the heated screen is right above the adjuster for the fan speed, down on the climate control panel.

I wonder what the dealer would lose, if anything, if he had to 'resell' the car.  That ought to be the extent of your loss if it comes to cancellation, logically, but it rather depends what the contract says.  Is there a standard Skoda contract (I imagine there is) or does it vary from dealer to dealer?

The problem is that the dealer could (and almost certainly would) argue that the only evidence of what was actually agreed is contained in the written contract - in fact the contract probably contains a clause that it takes precedence over any verbal agreements. 

Unless these changes are on the order form, then the car is as ordered.

As the buyer, it'll be your responsibility to check the order form before confirming and raising any discrepancies.

Unless these missing items are on the order form, I think you'll struggle to resolve this beyond any goodwill gesture the dealer offers you.

You've also committed the consumer sin of admitting responsibility, so already you've made a fight much harder.

I regularly listen to a consumer show on a local BBC station and they rarely get a result when orders aren't checked at the point of confirmation /payment. Once you've confirmed it, any issues are the consumers problem and the retailer is under no legal obligation.

• Like 3

Unless these changes are on the order form, then the car is as ordered.

As the buyer, it'll be your responsibility to check the order form before confirming and raising any discrepancies.

Unless these missing items are on the order form, I think you'll struggle to resolve this beyond any goodwill gesture the dealer offers you.

You've also committed the consumer sin of admitting responsibility, so already you've made a fight much harder.

I regularly listen to a consumer show on a local BBC station and they rarely get a result when orders aren't checked at the point of confirmation /payment. Once you've confirmed it, any issues are the consumers problem and the retailer is under no legal obligation.

That sounds about right to me, unfortunately for the OP

I see no end of insurance cases come through the court where defendants say what 'they believed' to be the terms of the policy over the phone, but then never bother to read their policy when it comes through

You just cannot rely on a telephone conversation

• Like 3

I think you have to hold your hands up and admit it is ultimately your mistake- you signed the incorrect order form after all. You say it is not about blame, well that doesn't ring true if you are expecting compensation.

I am not trying to stick up for the dealer or slate you just weighing up the facts as you have delivered them to us.

I don't think you stand to gain anything only lose the shine of the new car feeling.

It is not as if you have lost any of the functionality is it?

• Like 1

The "Sound system" can be identified by extra speakers half way up the front doors, just in front of the handles.

The button for the heated screen is right above the adjuster for the fan speed, down on the climate control panel.

Thanks BossFox - sorry for the slight off-topic...

It's not just my mistake loskie! The salesman admitted they have got there wires crossed as three different people dealt with it. I told him three times the 3 things I wanted. Hardly a huge list . And I'm not looking for compensation just a solution to a small problem. I offered to pay a courier to exchange wheels! I'm sure £60 fee wouldn't break their bank. Call it a good will gesture. They should be doing all they can to sort things out not trying to make more profit off new wheels. And I no it won't lose functionality but that's not the point .

I run my own joinery business and last week I fitted a new PVC door that was manufactured locally. I gave them plans with all details and the door came hinged the wrong way. The client wasn't happy but rather than wait another 3 weeks to make a new door and hold up the job I gave the client the door half price . It was no fault of my own but I took the money off to keep the job I'm running moving on schedule and to keep a good customer relationship .maybe I'm old fashioned but to me customer service is critical . All my work is word of mouth through good customer service and workmanship . My point is I won't use the dealer again due to poor customer service so in my eyes thy should be trying to come up with a solution as it's not a major thing to sort.

• Like 4

The car matches the order form in that it's jungle green and onyx leather. However it doesn't say anupurnas or matterhorns so we wrongly assumed it was taken care of.

Personally I think wrapping a roof is better than ordering a different colour.

Because you can change your mind and also sell it all the same colour if fancy roofs don't appeal to the new buyer.

Agree - that's why I had a black wrap on my white roof and wing mirrors: only cost about £150.

Please ignore amateur lawyers.

Your agreement was for a spec including your choice of wheels and roof colour-they agree that miscommunication on their side led to an incorrect order form which you didn't spot.. The original agreement still stands. you may be ill advised to go to law over it but they seem to accept their mistake and so should make it good. Be reasonable and ask them to do so. If they won't ask Skoda to intervene.

An oral contract -if proved is every bit as binding as a written one. If they admit in an exchange of e-mail that you had agreed the spec you would be home and dry-if they turn to lying then you may have a problem if they try to claim your signature on the incorrect order form represented the true agreement.Put the situation to them in a reasonable way in writing and see how they respond.

I appreciate it's ordered as the order form . We didn't no the situation with the wheels as we thought only extras that you pay for we're on the list. Interesting to hear so many varied opinions! I'm sure we will get it resolved somehow . Thanks for all the replies

• Like 1

I appreciate it's ordered as the order form . We didn't no the situation with the wheels as we thought only extras that you pay for we're on the list. Interesting to hear so many varied opinions! I'm sure we will get it resolved somehow . Thanks for all the replies

Comparing this with your door example, if a door came with a number of different options of door handle, none of which cost any more than any other, would you not put the type of handle on the order form?

I'd have probably thought that you would put the name of door handle chosen on the order

Why, if that is the case, would you not expect no-cost options to appear on the paperwork.........surely that would be confirmation of which options are chosen, whether they are cost options or not?

Having said that, I'd have thought that the dealer should at least meet you half way with you on the cost of the wheels, acknowledging that they didn't prepare the order correctly, but equally that you didn't check the order before signing

• Like 1

Thanks for your post jcp ! Very informative and very well put!.I wish I had recorded the first phone call ! I will email them tomorrow . He told me on Wednesday he would speak to manager and get back to me on friday so I'm eagerly anticipating the call . I think I will contact Skoda uk. He admitted it was a mix up by both party's then the next call he said he sat down with his bosses and went through the email trail and that it was my fault . Just because it doesn't mention wheels they no they are covered . My wife's cousin is a trading standards officer I may speak to her as we'll. thanks again