Skoda to 'kill' Fabia VRS?

It made no sense at the time, and it doesn't make any sense now. And surprise, surprise, sales clearly haven't met with targets and/or expectation.

It ruled the Mk2 out for many, many people, certainly on this forum (myself included at the time, having owned 3 Mk1 vRSes). I didn't want a DSG transmission, I didn't want a petrol engine. Ergo there wasn't a Mk2 that was suitable for my needs, as they failed to make available a suitably powered diesel, at any point in the model range!

I know the enthusiast only represents a small percentage of sales for them, but we were certainly right on this occasion!

It made no sense at the time, and it doesn't make any sense now. And surprise, surprise, sales clearly haven't met with targets and/or expectation.

It ruled the Mk2 out for many, many people, certainly on this forum (myself included at the time, having owned 3 Mk1 vRSes). I didn't want a DSG transmission, I didn't want a petrol engine. Ergo there wasn't a Mk2 that was suitable for my needs, as they failed to make available a suitably powered diesel, at any point in the model range!

I know the enthusiast only represents a small percentage of sales for them, but we were certainly right on this occasion!

Here here !

The problem is that as good as it is VAG have turned the Fabia vRS into too much of a niche vehicle. And that niche is very small indeed for the following reasons :

1- no diesel variant - alienates any diesel fans (and the previous fanbase)

2 - no manual option - alienates manual fans (and again the previous fanbase)

3 - dynamically it's completely shafted by the likes of the Fiesta ST

4- traditional hot hatch buyers might still have an issue with the skoda 'image'

5- the bulk of skoda Fabia customers want a cheap/value for money runabout and simply aren't interested in a hot variant.

If I had 17k to spend and fun was my top priority and I didn't need space/auto I would have bypassed skoda and made a beeline for my local ford dealer to order in a Fez ST.

As it happens the estate vRS meets all my requirements but it is a small and shrinking pool of us that fit into that box. For many people the Fabia vRS is just a compromise too far.

You missed out that the engine/ gearbox combo is as bullet proof as a paper bag.

You missed out that the engine/ gearbox combo is as bullet proof as a paper bag.

Touch wood I never had any problems with mine over 3years and here's hoping the new one will be the same. The oil issue is obviously a major issue for those affected but I doubt it puts off many potential buyers as most folk simply won't be aware if it. I suspect only a tiny handful of buyers (i.e us enthusiasts) would come here to research it prior to buying. Thankfully I haven't heard of too many DSG issues so I think that component at least is fairly robust.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Clio RS sales over the next couple of years. I suspect they will nosedive as the new drivetrain combo on that car is likely considered a nightmare change by the Clio faithful and they will shop elsewhere....

It will be interesting to see what happens to Clio RS sales over the next couple of years. I suspect they will nosedive as the new drivetrain combo on that car is likely considered a nightmare change by the Clio faithful and they will shop elsewhere....

They'll buy a Fiesta ST if they've any sense - if they're not actually looking for a 5dr only hot hatch with automated transmission of course.

But we digress from the original topic....

I'm loving swapping driving to and from our 120d and vRS at he moment. They really do complement each other. The 120d has supreme ride/handling/refinement and feels very premium. Crap engine note but awesome low and midrange grunt. Then I get in the vRS and it feels very raw but q-car esque. Relative lack of mid-range and poor refinement but get the revs up and you're loving that 'baaaaarrrpp' once she comes on full boost :-)

Anyway, I may be in a minority of one but I like my vRS - yes, it has its faults but cheap to buy and cheap to run.

I'm still puzzled as to why people make the effort to post their opinions on a car they don't like and have no intention of buying - I don't like Vauxhalls but you won't find me floating about their owners' forums. I've got better manners than that.

• Like 2

My point exactly - people don't really want these kinds of car, especially when niche with DSG and petrol only. But then to expect a model range that stretches to dozens of models might also be unrealistic.

We know the Mk2 wasn't the Mk1 reinvented - it was just the name carried forward. Performance Skodas are VRS. Whichever version is the top performer for that model gets the VRS sticker - for those models deemed to "need" a VRS.

CitiGo VRS could be a Lupo GTI replacement.

Manual gearbox options, hatch/estate. petrol/diesel etc. I guess Skoda might be hamstrung as to what they are allowed to develop.

I still think they've sold reasonable amounts of Montes and VRSs, given what they each are and probably given that those customers wouldn't be the "typical" Fabia target audience.

Other than that, do I take it George has changed his forum ID and then it all went wibble for a bit when I saw Brimma's new pic...wibble. Wibble.

Citigo vRS would never be a Lupo GTi replacement - the only body panels the Lupo GTi shares with its siblings are the roof and boot hatch - the wings and bonnet are aluminium - it even has extra thin windscreen glass to keep the weight down - Skoda would never pay that much attention to detail.

We looked at a Vrs but when we found out there was no manual gear box option, well we didn't bother I think that's why it hasn't sold many when u compare to other cars in it's group who have manual options.......to complicated for it's own good like the new clio sport thing 5 th gear didn't rate it because of it overly complicated gear box just my 2 pence worth...:)

Hmmm. So I gather from your profile you bought a tart's handbag with the punching power of a drunk Sid Little instead - wise move...

It was a wise move for Skoda, especially the Tech with 3 years free servicing.

More people must want tart's hand backs that's why Skoda's expanding the Monte range and not making a fragile vRS with an engine that has an Oliver Reid's appetite for drinking oil.

Like I've said many times, make a Fabia vRS with a 1.6 turbo and a choice of manual or DSG and they might be on to a winner.

The current vRS is pigeonholed and coupled with dodgy engines it has been a flawed experience for Skoda.

I know you're probably going to come back with some anti Monte comment and that's fine, that's what forums entitle you to do but you have to admit that the vRS hasn't been a runaway success despite the obvious fab performance on tap.

Mine has no thirst for oil and I've had it two and a half years.

The fact that it hasn't been a runaway success is neither here nor there - my favourite car I've ever owned was a Lupo GTi - VW sold a grand total of 995 in the UK.

At the end if the day it cost me peanuts to buy a one-year-old car (low mileage) with Bluetooth, cruise control, full climate and parking sensors - I could not have got that value for money elsewhere - because it was so cheap depreciation is a non issue and it is also cheap to run and insure.

I even considered a Monte but as there was next to no difference in price it was a no brainer.

• Like 1

Great car but like you say, rare.

Nobody's saying the vRS is a crap car, it's a brilliant car if you want something different and that's the problem, it's different.

We're creatures of habit and most of us are happy with comfortable tarts handbags, most have no need or desire to have a car that can do 0-60 in 6-7 seconds but some do, you included.

I'm trying to look at it objectively and see why Skoda maybe don't want to build a vRS, their hands are probably tied by the men in the corridors of power, where they see Seat as the 'sporty brand' and not Skoda.

Look at the new Leon Cupra, blows the Golf GTI out of the water for less money, imagine a Skoda doing this as well, I doubt it.

• Like 1

I'm not the most enthusiastic of drivers so the car is driven well within its limits 90% of the time - however, it is occasionally enjoyable to ramp it up and have a bit of fun. 0-60 is not the car's strong point as like every VAG I've driven it struggles to put power down off the line - hence why I take a back seat if there's ever a traffic light Grand Prix.

• Like 1

It was a wise move for Skoda, especially the Tech with 3 years free servicing.

More people must want tart's hand backs ]that's why Skoda's expanding the Monte range and not making a fragile vRS with an engine that has an Oliver Reid's appetite for drinking oil.

Like I've said many times, make a Fabia vRS with a 1.6 turbo and a choice of manual or DSG and they might be on to a winner.

The current vRS is pigeonholed and coupled with dodgy engines it has been a flawed experience for Skoda.

I know you're probably going to come back with some anti Monte comment and that's fine, that's what forums entitle you to do but you have to admit that the vRS hasn't been a runaway success despite the obvious fab performance on tap.

I must admit that does sound tempting!
  • Like 1

Sounds like the vRS.........only joking lads!!!

Ahhh but that's the difference between the vRS and the Monte - the vRS goes as well as she looks! I'd imagine with the Monte you are looking at her getting all excited -taking in all the curves of the bodywork but once you are inside her its abit of a let down. She doesn't seem to move as well as you anticipated..... Hehehe ;-)

• Like 1

I'm still puzzled as to why people make the effort to post their opinions on a car they don't like and have no intention of buying - I don't like Vauxhalls but you won't find me floating about their owners' forums. I've got better manners than that.

Because this is not a vRS Forum, it's a Fabia 2 forum. Most people on here commenting do own a Fabia Mk2 even if it's only a 1.2 htp 60hp S.

So some owners are a bit more subjective, it's good that some owners got a bargain with the vRS but Skoda see it as a £17k list price car that they struggle to sell without significant offers. 

Most hot hatch buyers do not need 5 doors and autobox and the 212bhp Fiesta ST mountune is only £500 more. The little fiesta is in a different league for handling and fun and has so much more traction.

That's what Skoda are up against, they are not bothered that you got a second hand bargain.

We'll all have to wait and see what the Mk3 brings.

Cheers

Lee

• Like 1