Asymmetric 2s or Rainsport 3s?

Jim H

yeah just had them fitted and could tell a difference from the avons that were on the car when i bought it. the grip is unreal

Same thing when I put the RS3 on, I had conti sp2 before good tyres aswell

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

should have got some vredestein ultrac sessantas 

I would have done, but they don't do anything smaller than 17 inches (215/40 17 is smallest). Only their Ultrac Cento's and Sportrac 5's are available in Fabia vRS size.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just to say that Halfords are doing the Goodyears at a decent price at the moment if you need more than 1. I paid £107 fitted and balanced and I was also able to get some cashback via QuidCo at the same time.

Noticeably quieter than the mixed bag of Falkens and Continentals that they replaced just on the drive home.

Oddly the Y rated tyres came up considerably cheaper than the W rated ones.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd put you all out of suspense. The tyres arrived yesterday afternoon and I've had them fitted today.

I bought.............

vmylqs.jpg

smy175.jpg

They were £128 delivered from Camskill. I wanted the Extra load ones, but at the time of ordering there was no stock. I hope I will like them as much as the old ones.

8 months and about 7.5k miles later they look like this:

11t35oy.jpg

So will be ordering Goodyears today. I hope they last longer than those have. The Rainsport 2s and I'm sure even my soft T1-Rs lasted longer!

This seems to back up the reading I've done online about the Rainsport 3 tyre and its quick wear rate.  I've had them on the Ignis for a year or so but that's not much to go by as it is on a limited policy of 5k miles per year and it hasn't even done that yet.  Also, it weighs about 900kg so they aren't having to carry a heavy load either. 

In my wisdom I've bought two for the front of the Vectra that will be going on this week on some refurbed wheels so I'll be watching the wear rate closely.  They'll have to cope with the weight of the car and the V6 lump over the front axles, plus I'll be asking them to put 280bhp onto the roads too.  It should be a good comparison test though as I'm willing to bet that the Ignis will still be wearing it Rainsport 3s in another years time whereas the Vectra will have worn its out in 5k miles. 

They were a good price though.  Camskill are asking about £106 for them in a 235 35 19" size with a Y speed rating. 

Assymetric 2s ordered @ £80 each delivered. I did wonder if I should buy another pair of winters to go with my warn (5.5mm) GW-3s. but decided I'll put these new tyres on back and winters on front. I did it 2 years ago with new RS2s. I hope my predictions are right that from this long hot/mild Summer and Autumn we'll have another mild winter.

Afterwards, I checked and the Rainsport 3's I bought in March have gone down in price to £120 a pair (was £128) for 83Ys http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s344p111618/Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport3_Uniroyal_Rain_Sport_3_-_205_45_R16_83Y_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB and the Extra load ones (87Ys) are £134 a pair delivered.  http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s344p111619/Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport3_Uniroyal_Rain_Sport_3_-_205_45_R16_87Y_XL_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_72dB

I certainly wouldn't say I drive like a racing driver (or clarkson). I'd probably say mostly steadily. I'm quite easy on the brakes (unless in emergancy). I have heard people saying on here that these new tyres do wear down fast. I think 3k mles is the worst! :o.

In March I had fitted new Powerflex bushes on front (Console and ARB) at the same time had tyres fitted. A few days later after work completed had alignment checked and adjusted by another garage. .

Look what arrived today

301n6lw.jpg

2edma2r.jpg

They look boring compared to RS3s or the old GSD3s, but hopefully be worth the extra money.  I'm getting them fitted on Friday.

I've just checked. In 2009 I bought a pair of Toyo T1-Rs, they lasted exactly 2 years and approx 14k miles on the front only. I replaced them with Rainsport 2s which lasted 18 months and 14k miles although did run on rear over winter (only 4k miles Nov-April).

I don't think I've changed my driving style since them.

My RS3s have now done 10,000 miles and are down to about 4mm on the front.  They seem to have worn quite well really considering the soft compound.  They are still amazing in the wet - I'll try and take some pics later when it has stopped raining.

I was sick of the harsh ride from my previous XL (87 rated) tyres which were Hankook V12 (terrible in the wet), so the RS3 are 83 load rated and the ride is much less harsh.  I'll be replacing with more RS3 when these have worn out.

• 3 weeks later...

I make it more like 11%, so I'd agree that it's more than "slightly", but nothing like as bad as you suggest.

I may have the maths wrong.  This is how I believe it works...

The decibel scale is not linear but logarithmic For examble any 3db change equals double (or half) the noise.

so noise measured at 73db is twice as loud as one at 70db :

+3db= 100% louder or double the initial noise.

+1db= the cube root of double - cube root of 2 approx 1.26 therefore +26%

Tyre db are driveby figures too so inside the car may notice less or more change.

Edited by camelspyyder

I may have the maths wrong.  This is how I believe it works...

The decibel scale is not linear but logarithmic For examble any 3db change equals double (or half) the noise.

so noise measured at 73db is twice as loud as one at 70db :

+3db= 100% louder or double the initial noise.

+1db= the cube root of double - cube root of 2 approx 1.26 therefore +26%

Tyre db are driveby figures too so inside the car may notice less or more change.

The logic is correct but the interpolation is wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

My car had it's MOT today and was given an advisory for both front tyres. They are rainsport 3's that were brought less than a year ago :( Doesn't make the price that attractive if you have to replace them within a year which is a shame because I really like them.

My car had it's MOT today and was given an advisory for both front tyres. They are rainsport 3's that were brought less than a year ago :( Doesn't make the price that attractive if you have to replace them within a year which is a shame because I really like them.

Have you worked out how many miles they have lasted?

That's the same as mine lasted, but I suppose it depends on what depth you've got left to get an advisory. Mine were about 2 mm, less in some places, as you may see in the pic, but still legal.